Talk

Advanced search

what do i say to the gp about dd rubbing on chairs at school?

(73 Posts)
themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:10:35

I don't even know how to open the conversation. Or if the doctor will have a clue what to do. Would I be better speaking to school nurse?
Had dds teacher call me into the school to discuss her rocking backwards and forwards on her chair. She said she looks like she's doing it to rub her buts on the chair blush no idea how to deal with it. I noticed her doing it myself when ssje was younger abd gave had every bums are for private talk going. She's 6 now.. please help.

themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:10:59

Rub her bits*

JoanHickson Fri 14-Nov-14 16:13:01

Just repeat what you and teacher noted. I assume it's thrush or her enjoying the feeling. No doubt there is some cp issue the teacher wants you to rule out.

gamerchick Fri 14-Nov-14 16:14:19

Treat her for worms.

TweedAddict Fri 14-Nov-14 16:14:31

Check for worms and thrush

Buttercup27 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:14:34

Could she possibly have thrush that makes her itchy? If not maybe that's how you could start your chat with gp.

SweetsForMySweet Fri 14-Nov-14 16:16:44

Could her underwear material be irritating her, maybe she is irritated by the laundry detergent or conditioner?

Moniker1 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:22:00

This came up not long ago possibly on the education thread. Several primary school teachers posted saying this was quite common and they fixed it by ordering class to 'sit up now and pay attention!' or similar.

itsaknockout Fri 14-Nov-14 16:22:23

Why can't you just ask her whether she's doing it because she is itching (if so where) ?

themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:22:36

No worms or thrush, already checked. No signs of irritation. I did ask her and she said it tickles her bum when she does it blush

themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:24:29

Surely at her age she shouldn't be rubbing because it feels nice shock

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 14-Nov-14 16:27:51

Of course she'll rub if it feels nice! She's 6, she doesn't know that it's sexual or inappropriate, she just knows it feels nice.

TBH I'm surprised at the teacher bringing it up, as moniker says, it's not the first time I've heard of it and teachers usually just deal with that way.

You can start to talk to her about keeping things that feel nice like that for private times, without going overboard on it.

CunfuddledAlways Fri 14-Nov-14 16:27:58

Surely if she has found out something feels nice she will continue doing so, she doesn't understand how adults see it

BarbarianMum Fri 14-Nov-14 16:28:24

If you're sure no worms or thrush then she doesn't need a GP does she?

It sounds like she's masturbating, which is normal amongst small girls as well as small boys.

Keep explain that it's fine to do but only in her bedroom. Get the teacher to distract her - the asking the class to sit up properly/sit still is a good idea as it doesn't single her out.

Is her teacher very young? I'm amazed she's not come across this before.

BarbarianMum Fri 14-Nov-14 16:30:41

<<Surely at her age she shouldn't be rubbing because it feels nice>>

Spend 10 min watching small boys - they fiddle constantly! Because it feels nice. It's really normal for girls to do this, honest.

themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:33:34

Her teacher is about 25 I'd say. And pregnant with her first. I have told her about it being a private thing for our room but she's obviously not getting the picture if she's doing it at school. Teacher looked very embarresed and asked me how to deal with it. I told her to ask her to sit still...

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 14-Nov-14 16:35:14

Have you posted about this multiple times already in recent weeks/months?

Because unless there's an epidemic of this, I'm sure I've read this OP recently about 3 times!

cailindana Fri 14-Nov-14 16:36:45

As a former primary school teacher I can assure you this is very common and nothing to be worried about.

Tell her you know it feels nice and it's perfectly normal to do it at home, in private, but at school it's not appropriate so she should try to stop doing it.

I'm surprised the teacher mentioned it. I never bothered, I just said something like "ok everyone sitting nicely" and that usually snapped kids out of it.

whois Fri 14-Nov-14 16:37:10

Teacher looked very embarresed and asked me how to deal with it. I told her to ask her to sit still...

Seriously? Teacher is pretty ineffectual if she can't issue a 'sit still class' command. Geez!

cailindana Fri 14-Nov-14 16:37:38

How idiotic for the teacher to be embarrassed about it. I'll bet she'll look back on this in ten years' time and cringe.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 14-Nov-14 16:39:34

It's masturbation and it's TOTALLY normal in a child of that age. It's important that you explain to her it's a very private thing and not to be done at school. Don't shame her though.

themousethatthecatdraggedin Fri 14-Nov-14 16:44:39

Ok, I kind of shouted. I think I was so embarresed because the teacher was so I got abit cross with dd.sad how do i fix it?
What If she doesn't stop?

cailindana Fri 14-Nov-14 16:46:35

Of course she'll stop! She won't be 12 and still doing it. She's still very young.

Why did you shout?

divingoffthebalcony Fri 14-Nov-14 16:47:36

She probably won't stop. You just need to keep reminding her that it's not ok to do in public but it's ok in her room in private.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 14-Nov-14 16:49:21

So have you? Or is it my imagination? I'm sure I've read almost the exact scenario at least twice before...recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now