(23 Posts)
LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 12:04:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 12:05:13

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 12:21:28

Vitalstatistix Fri 14-Nov-14 12:22:51

I don't know. Phone primark and explain it and ask what they want you to do?

eeyoreeeyoreoh Fri 14-Nov-14 12:23:04

Loads of people will tell you you must call them.

But meh, it's their fuck up, it wouldn't keep me awake at night.

Gen35 Fri 14-Nov-14 12:24:21

In reality, would I take the time to go back, explain at length and probably get someone into trouble? No,
I doubt many would. I'd let it lie. She could give some money to charity - straightforward and hassle free to pop it in a tin.

confusedandemployed Fri 14-Nov-14 12:25:00

That wouldn't be a dilemma in out house. It would be a case of "Hurrah, that doesn't happen very often" and I'd spend the cash on a meal out.

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 12:30:29

InfinitySeven Fri 14-Nov-14 12:33:03

If it happened a few weeks ago, they'll have balanced the till a lot since then!

WalkingInMemphis Fri 14-Nov-14 12:34:25

Last month I bought two similar high value items from a catalogue (laptops) because I couldn't decide which to buy and they were both on low stock. One was £500 and one was £350.

I decided on the more expensive one so arranged for the other to be returned, and when I checked my statement they had refunded £500 onto my account balance rather than £350 shock so obviously got them mixed up.

I'm waiting to see if it's amended automatically but i'm also unsure whether to come clean or leave it.

I would ring them and explain what happened. I would rather do that and have a clear conscience.

Jessiegirl Fri 14-Nov-14 12:42:07

Aren't there usually signs at the till asking customers to check their change as mistakes couldn't be rectified later? Usually meaning if you got short changed and didn't notice immediately then you were out of pocket. Surely it works both ways? This time it's their mistake.

BackforGood Fri 14-Nov-14 12:48:53

I would go in or ring or e-mail them.
If I've read it right, your dd has got the things she bought, and now you've found she not only hasn't paid for them, but of course she also has the cash they gave her at the time?

Think about it - if the statement showed she'd been charged twice, would you/she go in then to get it sorted? If so, then you should equally go in if she's had the refund twice.

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 12:54:29

BackforGood Fri 14-Nov-14 13:03:47

So she's paid £45.
They gave her £10 cash
She has goods worth £35 so at the point she left the shop all was fine.

Now the bank statement says she's been refunded £45 so in effect, she owes the shop £45?

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Fri 14-Nov-14 13:12:05

hellsbellsmelons Fri 14-Nov-14 13:13:45

Sometimes in life things will go against you and other times you come out on top.
This is one of those times.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Maybe go back to Primark and spend the money there to feel a bit better about it?
There will be many times in her life when she will be overcharged and undercharged.

To those who wouldn't inform the store etc about being undercharged, or getting more change/too big a refund etc - do you complain if you are overcharged/not given enough change?

Because I think if you are going to do the latter, you shouldn't do the former.

grocklebox Fri 14-Nov-14 14:08:11

I wouldn't complain about being overcharged several weeks later, no, because it would be my own fault for not noticing and almost impossible to do anything anyway.

I would mention being over or undercharged at the till, not after for either.

I think that is absolutely fair, grocklebox.

Gen35 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:46:37

Yes me too grockle

stripedtortoise Fri 14-Nov-14 14:50:35

You'll get loads of 'it's stealing!' Comments but it certainly wouldn't keep me awake at night.
I'd forget about it. It's only a small amount and their mistakes.

nosleeptilever Fri 14-Nov-14 14:54:57

Primark will not miss that £45, keep it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now