Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re cleaning the office at my work place??

(54 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 10:50:33

At work we recently got rid of our cleaners, they weren't cleaning well (mess left, didn't come in several times, no excuses) and despite warning them through the company who employed them several times it didn't get any better. We were then told by the cleaning company that the cleaners weren't happy with us criticising them but then the cleaners came to us separately after this to try to get us to employ them not through the company, so i don't know what happened there.

My boss then interviewed a couple of cleaners and through a colleague found someone who now comes in twice a month (eg every fortnight). We did have cleaners before every other day, at least 3 x a week for about 5 years.

In the interim period when we had no cleaners I emptied bins, food bin etc and cleaned generally (not hoovering) as we were asked to help out then. I had thought we would have a cleaner at least once a week but turns out no.

I am now not happy as I know (out of staff of 5 people) it'll be me who ends up wiping kitchen surfaces, emptying bins etc and it's not on. Already the reception area where I sit, kitchen, and toilets are starting to get dirty and I don't see why I should wipe toilet seats etc... I did begrudgingly get some toilet cleaner (none in cleaner's cupboard) and toilet wipes and kitchen wipes but I don't want to use them!

When I mentioned I wasn't happy and what was happening with the cleaners the other day my boss said "you'll have to clean, empty bins etc...". I am beyond mad at this...

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I'm really pissed off and I am not a cleaner, I'm a legal secretary/PA! I know my boss wants to save on cleaners but he was paying £120 per month anyway before with the other cleaners for 5 years!

gimcrack Fri 14-Nov-14 10:53:39

Are you a member of a union?
If it's not in your job description, you don't have to do it. Tell him no. Tight bastard.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 10:54:30

No not in a union. No not in my job description.

I'm thinking H&S, environmental issues if I were to clean...

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 10:55:52

I keep thinking if food isn't cleared then knowing our luck we'd get mice, cockroaches whatever...

we're right next to a pub with garden and fruit and vegetable stall so it wouldn't surprise me if we got vermin in due to lack of hygiene.... being overdramatic maybe here

LaurieFairyCake Fri 14-Nov-14 10:57:18

He was only paying £120 a month for 12 sessions of cleaning (you said 3 times a week?).

I have no idea where you are in the country but that sounds like a bargain!

Say you're not cleaning any more

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 10:57:24

gim - he's one of these bosses that just pushes and expects you to do it.

Thank god I've been there over 2 years so he can't fire me for not cleaning his poxy office. Yes I want to leave, for other reasons.... this is just the icing on the cake!

whatever5 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:58:28

I wouldn't do all the cleaning as the more you do the less likely your boss is to employ cleaners. Just stop doing it and wait for him to see the resulting mess/vermin.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 10:58:47

Laurie - we're in SW London... yeah god knows how he got the cleaning that cheap...

would it be evil of me to grab a dead mouse from fruit and veg stall (they say they have them sometimes...) and shove it in his desk/area to show what happens when you don't clean enough?! joking by the way..... grin

russiandwarf Fri 14-Nov-14 10:59:18

I just wouldn't do it! Not in your job description, not your problem. Keep your personal desk clean and wait it out, he'll have to get the cleaners in more often. If you do the cleaning he'll think he can get away with it and not feel the need to pay for it.

carlsonrichards Fri 14-Nov-14 11:00:06

Just don't do it. I wouldn't have said a dicky bird to the boss.

Why did you buy in cleaning supplies? Why are you taking this on?

Just don't do shit.

He says you clan, say it's not in my contract. I'm a secretary not a cleaner.

russiandwarf Fri 14-Nov-14 11:01:00

If he pushes just do a really crap job of it ha!

carlsonrichards Fri 14-Nov-14 11:01:19

So you get mice and vermin. Not your problem. It's his business.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 14-Nov-14 11:02:18

Stop doing the cleaning (apart from what you need to do to make your area workable and tolerable)

Look for new job.

anonymous call to Environmental Health

Also, if you can authorise company funds, I would just go ahead and appoint a new cleaning company - as he has clearly delegated responsibility for the cleaning to you.

LittleBairn Fri 14-Nov-14 11:03:09

Just don't do it. Don't even mention it. Then if he tries it on again inform him of your duties as oer your contract.

Vycount Fri 14-Nov-14 11:05:35

You're putting yourself in the frame for this by buying cleaning supplies and bringing up the subject with him. Do what everyone else is doing, ignore the situation. Stick some anti-bac wipes in your handbag for the loo seat!

merrymouse Fri 14-Nov-14 11:05:55

Definitely don't clean.

www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/reptile/reptile-food/frozen-reptile-food

Could this be helpful gringringrin

TheSpottedZebra Fri 14-Nov-14 11:07:30

Are you the least senior or the youngest or the only female?

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 11:08:11

Vycount - I only bought the toilet cleaner as I didn't know the new cleaner would buy it and the wipes as they're quick and the kitchen looks vile...

yeah I will only clean my area now and that's it and not mention it and mention my contract otherwise. thanks all!

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 11:10:08

TheSpottedZebra - least senior well youngest...

merry that is seriously tempting but the fruit and veg stall can supply for free possibly... grin

KatherinaMinola Fri 14-Nov-14 11:11:47

SW London? Is your boss called Christopher, by any chance? If so, I used to work for him grin

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 11:19:41

Katherina - no... I won't name my boss... there are some terrors out there though! grin

TheSpottedZebra Fri 14-Nov-14 11:20:41

Yup, I wondered how this had fallen to you. Serious, if you do things like this it somehow becomes your job. As well as all the other parts of your job. Just because you are the youngest does not mean you need to clear for others! You have your own job to do.

Stop being responsible for cleaning, for buying products. Stop being partly response as people will assume you're wholly responsible. And tell your boss that you're not doing it, that you're sticking to your contracted duties. Tell him fa e to face and confirm by email, bcc-ing to your own private email address. And use the on cleaning time to look for another job!

KatherinaMinola Fri 14-Nov-14 11:21:49

Ah - then there are two lawyers in the area who want the secretary to clean their office - maybe they are friends? grin

youareallbonkers Fri 14-Nov-14 11:26:32

I expect your contract will say something like any other tasks deemed suitable by the business. I really wouldn't go down the "not my job" route

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Nov-14 11:35:55

I've already spoken to 2 other lawyers and they both agree we need more days by the cleaners and i shouldn't do it...

In fact it would be handy for me to look at my contract.

TheSpottedZebra yeah because I'm the other woman (the other has worked there 20 years and is my boss' best mate) there I think my boss thinks it should be me to clean. My colleagues are quite fair and think it shouldn't be me...

This has really cemented it for me... my boss takes the piss generally and underpays me but this is the cherry on the top... need to job hunt (have been doing that anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now