Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to put DD back in nappies at night?

(15 Posts)
vvviola Fri 14-Nov-14 05:39:34

DD2 (3.2) has had a bad few weeks - impetigo, allergic reaction to antibiotics, eczema outbreak. Then, to top things off she started wetting the bed again. She'd been dry at night (mostly, 1 or 2 wet nights in a fortnight) for about 2 months and has been without night time nappies for a month.

I think the antihistamines were making her sleep extra deeply, but even now that she is off them, she is still wetting. It's been every night for a week now. I'm on my last set of clean sheets (weather has meant bad drying for the past few days).

She got hysterical about the thought of nappies again, but WIBU to persuade/insist until we have a few dry nights in a row and then try again?

Winterbells Fri 14-Nov-14 05:44:24

I wouldn't do it, especially if she is unhappy about using nappies again. Accidents happen and they can be a pain to deal with but in my experience it's better to work through it. Especially after a bout of illness children can regress and putting her back in nappies may mean you set her back by quite a bit.

Thumbwitch Fri 14-Nov-14 05:57:42

I presume you meant pull-ups rather than actual nappies? HAs your DD used them before or not? One of my nieces had a bed-wetting problem until she was around 8, and she had to be in pull-ups overnight because of it.

Thumbwitch Fri 14-Nov-14 06:01:25

Something like these

vvviola Fri 14-Nov-14 06:01:25

Yes, I meant pull ups, sorry.

We call them "night time pants" here, as when I was doing toilet training I noticed she was just holding on until bedtime and going in her nappy - we switched to "night time pants" which obviously couldn't be used like a nappy and the last bit of toilet training clicked in a week or so.

BitchesGetStuffDone Fri 14-Nov-14 06:07:16

Aren't pull-ups the same as nappies? Just a different name to help older children feel better about using them.

vvviola Fri 14-Nov-14 08:40:01

Well, yes, bitchesgetstuffdone but they are also more pants-like and it's easier for keeping the routine of going to the toilet before bed etc.

Thumbwitch Fri 14-Nov-14 08:42:50

If you get the bigger child ones, I think they're even more pants-like and even less nappy-like, would that be an option?

GoogleyEyes Fri 14-Nov-14 08:45:44

I would negotiate with her - wear nappies for a week (to let you get the laundry done) and then stop again and see how it goes. My 3 year old would understand that if I showed her on a calendar or made a chart to show the week.

Mrsjayy Fri 14-Nov-14 08:46:03

I would nt if it is upsetting her get bed mats instead and let her lie on a towel lift her for a pee before you go to bed poor dd though sounds like she has had a tough time of it and the washing must be a nightmare well the drying

vvviola Sun 16-Nov-14 08:03:49

We've gone for a combination of compromise and negotiation.

Pull-ups for the last two nights "until we got dry sheets again" and training pants (towelling ones with a waterproof layer) tonight as she got very upset at a third night of pull ups. She's agreed if the training pants are wet, she'll try pull ups for a few nights "until she's feeling better".

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Thumbwitch Sun 16-Nov-14 12:47:27

Oh excellent result - I hope that she's back to normal very soon. smile

GoogleyEyes Sun 16-Nov-14 13:33:47

Glad things are better smile

vvviola Sun 16-Nov-14 14:51:30

Well it's quarter to 4 in the morning here and she has just woken me and the whole town up shouting "need to go wee wee Mummy". Which is a step in the right direction, but not so good for my beauty sleep grin

Thumbwitch Sun 16-Nov-14 15:40:32

Aw bless! still better than "I wet the bed again Mummy!" wink

Do you make her do a wee last thing at night? the only times Ds1 wet the bed was when that wasn't done - hilariously, (for me) the first time was when he stayed overnight with DH at MIL's, in their converted boatshed - DH had to deal with changing the wet bedclothes etc. himself! Ha! (He never deals with anything like that here if he can avoid it, it's "my" job apparently. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now