Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to get a cleaner?

(15 Posts)
velvetspoon Thu 13-Nov-14 18:41:28

And if not, how many hours do I need?

I work ft, am a lp. I don't have time in the week to do any housework, as I leave for work at 730 (630 on the nights I go to the gym) and am not home til 630 or later. I cook, wash up, put on and hang up a couple of loads of washing a night, but that's all I have the energy for.

I've always done most of my housework at weekends, but now I'm in a relationship, we spend every other weekend together (usually at his as it's tidier than mine!) and so my housework time is halved, and I'm struggling to keep on top of it, plus I'm not exactly the best/ most efficient person at housework anyway.

I am looking longer term at adjusting my work hours to give me more time, but pending that, would you get a cleaner if you were me?

And if so, what should I ask them to do? The going rate here seems to be £10-15 an hour...I can afford about £30 a week, is that enough?

mupperoon Thu 13-Nov-14 18:47:20

How many rooms do you have? I pay £40 for 4 hrs and my cleaner does kitchen, bathroom, living room, a bedroom or two, hoovering throughout and an hour of ironing.

Optimist1 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:49:49

I'd definitely get a cleaner, in your place. A good cleaner will work wonders in two hours a week, and free up your time considerably. I'd suggest you get someone either a) from a cleaning company or b) an individual cleaner who is personally recommended by someone whose opinion you trust. The advantages with a) are that they will definitely have insurance that will cover anything untoward that could happen and with b) a good individual will have a personal interest in your satisfaction.

Enjoy your freedom, and feel good about providing a job for someone! smile

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Nov-14 18:51:46

My cleaner is what makes life work for me. £30 for 3 hours (not through an agency, she works for herself), and she does the house right through for that, inc making the beds. She always starts with the worst rooms, so theres plenty of time for floor washing, bathroom cleaning, kitchen attack. I love Thursdays as its all so nice

velvetspoon Thu 13-Nov-14 18:53:44

I've got 4 bedrooms (well, 5 but one isn't in use at present so I wouldn't want that cleaned, no point!) plus bathroom, downstairs loo, kitchen, dining room, lounge and family room...(there's also a utility room but that like the bedroom isn't worth cleaning).

So, quite a few rooms. I wouldn't want ironing done though, I'm used to slightly creased clothes!

MillionToOneChances Thu 13-Nov-14 19:15:54

Mine does a 4 bedroom house in 3 hours. Absolute godsend. I worship my cleaner.

I'd get an individual - a friend's mobile was stolen this week by a cleaner who'd been employed through an agency. Fortunately the agency boss had seen the mobile on my friend's table when letting the cleaner in, so she's buying my friend a new one b

OhBuggeringBollocks Thu 13-Nov-14 19:21:36

Agencies can be pricey. I went through Gumtree and got a great cleaner. She charges for the house rather than hourly and does a good job.

Depending where you are will depend how much I think - I pay £40 a week for a similar 5 bed, 3 kids and it is pretty tidy so she just needs to clean. We are in he midlands

And no one is EVER unreasonable in getting a cleaner, I am on ML and I love having her more than ever.

FinallyHere Thu 13-Nov-14 19:23:18

Personal recommendation, JDI, you won't be sorry.

Can't imagine why, but If i had to choose between husband and Treasure, I would go for Treasure every time.

redexpat Thu 13-Nov-14 20:06:02

It depends what exactly you want them to do. It's ok to get a few quotes from people, ask them how long they think it would take to do xyz, and then get back to them.

Mine washes the kitchen and bathroom floor every week, and the other floors every other week. She cleans the bathroom and kitchen, and damp dusts the other surfaces, but only in our lounge and dining room. The bedrooms we only use for sleeping in so they tend not to get too bad and we can do them ourselves every other weekend.

MyFirstName Thu 13-Nov-14 20:10:52

You could also think about getting someone to come for a good chunk of time every other week. I do this and then never bother aim to give the house a quick once over on the weeks they do not come. So it gets a really good going over week 1 and then I do a quick hoover, loo/bath spray and wipe around on the week 2.

antimatter Thu 13-Nov-14 20:14:29

Best to ask your cleaner once when you are there (worth taking a day off) to clean the whole house together and show her the ropes.
Once house is clean 3 hours a week should be sufficient as you hardly spend time there.

I am LP and did just that grin and feel so much happier for it!

MarmiteMania Thu 13-Nov-14 20:15:35

I don't really understand why you are even asking. Why on earth wouldn't you have help if you can afford it and work full time?

velvetspoon Thu 13-Nov-14 23:32:13

I've always worked ft even when my DC were babies, never had a cleaner, always had to do it all myself (DCs dad never lifted a finger, part of the reason why he's my ex). So in some ways having a cleaner feels a bit like I'm being weak and giving in when I should be struggling on...that kind of thing.

I can just about afford £30 a week if I cut some other stuff. It will only be for a couple of months or so.

Not sure what I want them to do, kitchen and bathroom including the floors, vacuuming, dusting in the other rooms (house is constantly dusty).

MrsAmaretto Thu 13-Nov-14 23:37:11

Get a cleaner. I wish I'd had one when I was single & childless (& working ft). All those hours I wasted cleaning.

Look around for quotes and see what £30 gets you? Also make a list of what you would like. Mine washes/ hoovers all floors & cleans the bathrooms. She also does other jobs on a fortnightly basis/cycle.

EustaciaBenson Thu 13-Nov-14 23:40:15

I have a cleaner and I only work 30 hrs a week! In fairness though I do have health problems. In my case I could either just about manage work and some cleaning, orwork and have some life outside of work. The cleaner does 4 hours a week. She strips two beds and remakes them, puts the bedding and towels theough the washing machine and dryer or hangs them out. She empties my dishwasher does my pots, cleans windows etc as well as normal cleaning. She could do alot in 3 hours (3 bedroom house) but because of my health problems I prefer the extras I get in the last hour

I would give up a lot before giving up my cleaner. Getting her means I now get to go swimming several times a week which is better for me, my DH is less stressed trying to help me (he works amassive number of hours a week) and I am less stressed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now