Advanced search

To wonder how to meet a partner ?

(49 Posts)
sleepygardens Thu 13-Nov-14 18:21:12

Mid thirties, no DCs smile

Not online dating sites.

Any ideas ?

pippinleaf Thu 13-Nov-14 18:23:58

Think you're screwed if you won't try online dating to be honest. Friends of friends?

LadyLuck10 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:24:55

Friends of friends?
Hobbies?

LineRunner Thu 13-Nov-14 18:25:31

I met mine through mutual friends. It wasn't an 'introduction' - they were surprised when we hit it off! - but more of an accidental thing.

Lunastarfish Thu 13-Nov-14 18:25:51

I agree with pippin. Nearly all my single friends (inc myself) who have found partners in the past 5 years found them on dating sites

sleepygardens Thu 13-Nov-14 18:26:41

I think "not screwed" is slightly more to the point wink

I don't really know anybody with single friends to be honest confused Which isn't to say they might not have someone in the future.

PeppermintInfusion Thu 13-Nov-14 18:26:57

What hobbies do you have?

Any other single friends?

My friend went to some common interest groups via meetup.com and met a guy. It's not a dating site, more for meeting people with common interest and hobbies and making friends.

championnibbler Thu 13-Nov-14 18:31:00

I second meetup.com. Its free and a good way to meet like-minded people.

Marylou2 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:52:51

Work, hobbies, friends of friends, ask all your friends husbands who they know.Bookshops, flirting in the Starbucks queue. Take a male oriented evening class.Also computer fairs on a Sunday morning attract 95% men if geeky is your type.

broccoliear Thu 13-Nov-14 18:59:55

Personally I find courses a good way of meeting people. Especially ones where people are likely to have moved to the area to do the course, if you can find one! Such people tend to be single. I did an MSc in London and it was rammed with singles of all ages and nationalities. There is also the bonus that you have a natural source of conversation.

velvetspoon Thu 13-Nov-14 19:03:47

Community/ church groups.

HedgehogsDontBite Thu 13-Nov-14 19:04:48

I met DH at a ballroom and latin dance class.

MillionToOneChances Thu 13-Nov-14 19:05:24

Send me a pic, I'll vet you for my best mate grin

I'd try MeetUp or Spice, the sort of activities where you talk naturally as part of it (pub quizzes etc).

sleepygardens Thu 13-Nov-14 19:30:06

Thanks smile

I don't really have any hobbies in the sense of something I regularly do outside of work apart from reading and I've tried book clubs - no go!

Will look at meetup/spice, thanks smile

pinkdelight Thu 13-Nov-14 21:07:07

The IT department. Seriously, there's some good guys who often get overlooked. Or geeky events, Warhammer and gaming shit and suchlike. That's where the single blokes go, not book clubs. They can make very nice DPs if you can go for a geek. Which I can recommend.

PeppermintInfusion Fri 14-Nov-14 07:22:52

Haha Pink, my work is IT related and I met my DH in the IT dept, it's been quite common in the companies I've worked in wink

x2boys Fri 14-Nov-14 07:29:09

Blind dates ? I met dh through his sister he was WS living with her at the time she introduced us ten years two kids later still have together I was 31 at the time.

nannynoss Fri 14-Nov-14 08:31:11

I have actually, unbelievably, just met someone really lovely via Instagram. Are you on that?
(I'm not a fan of online dating either, it felt different to meeting online somehow!)

MillionToOneChances Fri 14-Nov-14 08:38:07

How on earth do you meet someone through Instagram?!

nannynoss Fri 14-Nov-14 11:26:10

million we started following each other because of a mutual interest. That mutual interest got us talking, which led to numbers exchanged, which then led to meeting in RL...

MillionToOneChances Fri 14-Nov-14 12:26:06

Nice smile

LineRunner Fri 14-Nov-14 14:48:49

I can vouch for lovely men in IT departments. I am friends with a few of them in my current job, and they are great fun.

Theboulderhascaughtupwithme Fri 14-Nov-14 16:17:01

What about an upmarket dating introduction agency?

Ladyfoxglove Fri 14-Nov-14 16:18:00

<sigh> I'd love to meet a geeky man.

There are no comic or computer conventions within 100 miles of me though.

pinkdelight Fri 14-Nov-14 17:25:26

Heavens, no wonder you can't find anyone. Where are you living?? They must all have moved or be stuck in with their computers, wondering how to meet a nice woman. Treat yourself to one of those RPG meet-ups or summat where they dress up and drink Elven mead for a w/e in the countryside. I'll bet there's a dozen wizards to one wench and all potentially rather romantic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now