Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think people who work outdoors need to be prepared

(21 Posts)
chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 12:46:08

...In some way, so that they are able to work in light rain?

A window on my car needs replacing and it's raining. Not heavy but fair enough not suitable. But it's light enough that some kind of pop up cover would protect them and job would be doable. The guys just called to say he's not coming. I need my car for work tomorrow.

Same thing happened a few years back (again for the car but not same job)

I get that working outside sucks, but if it's the nature of your job shouldn't there be <some> kind of contingency plan in place, for minimal weather 'complications'

Totally happy to be told aibu. Just a bit panicked about getting to work!

SaucyJackOLantern Thu 13-Nov-14 12:48:07

Is the bloke self employed?

Frusso Thu 13-Nov-14 12:48:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 12:51:20

Saucy no he's been sent out by a company so I think he probably doesn't care. He was a bit miffed when I asked if he'd mind heading over and I'd give him lots of chocolate biscuits and we'll see how it goes.

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 12:52:30

Oh, Frusso

I hate bu. blush

Catsarebastards Thu 13-Nov-14 12:58:50

If it is replacing the window glass then what glue is involved? I have had this done and it involved removing interior panels on the door but no glue.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 13-Nov-14 12:59:49

maybe he doesn't want to get the interior wet - which window is it op

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 13:03:44

The front screen. some bastard threw a rock at it while I was led in hospital

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Thu 13-Nov-14 13:04:44

A windscreen needs bonding in even if the direct rain is kept off any that blows in and onto the surround and a high level of moisture in the air will cause it not to bond properly

Most cars nowadays gain some strength from the bonded windscreen being a relatively rigid part of the body and it has to go onto a moisture free dry surface to achieve this

Poledra Thu 13-Nov-14 13:07:25

If it's the windscreen. the glue is the problem. I had my windscreen replaced on a very cold day some years ago, and the bloke told me to leave the securing tape on for 24 hours as the glue wouldn't set quickly in the low temperatures. I believe rain causes worse issues.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 13-Nov-14 13:08:31

Autoglass took my car in to their premises when the windscreen needed replacing on a rainy day. He needed the workshop for shelter and my garage wasn't big enough.

Is this not an option for the company doing yours?

Catsarebastards Thu 13-Nov-14 13:11:16

Oh it's a windscreen rather than a door window. Yes glue necessary then! grin

Notmeagain1 Thu 13-Nov-14 13:17:01

Is there a carport or garage near by that u could put the car under while he works. Neighbor that may be willing to loan you theirs for a bit?

But it does have to be dry for the compound to set properly. Sorry.

lougle Thu 13-Nov-14 13:21:51

YANBU because he could easily have said 'I can't come because the glue won't set' and then you wouldn't have been given the impression that he just likes to be dry.

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 13:36:46

No I have a garage but it's full of stuff. He arrived and fair enough the weather has gone nasty so we agreed to rearrange.

Still no mention of the glue thing though. I think mobile stuff is great but I kind of wish I'd booked somewhere that took the car in

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 13:37:18

I'm gonna eat the biscuits I bought him

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Thu 13-Nov-14 13:43:37

Enjoy those biscuits

WhatsTheEffingPoint Thu 13-Nov-14 17:33:37

You really do want a dry day for the glue/bond to set! If you dont you end up with a windscreen that squeaks as you drive and that noise gets really annoying after a while.

DoJo Thu 13-Nov-14 19:46:16

I had one of the big companies come out to do mine and they warned me when I booked the appointment that if I didn't have anywhere undercover then rain would stop play because of the glue. Feel somewhat conflicted that you were BU but still got biscuits - I will order a pizza in retaliation!

DoJo Thu 13-Nov-14 19:47:13

blush I meant to add a grin to show that I am a good sport about your entirely undeserved biscuits! grin There you go!

chasingtherainbow Thu 13-Nov-14 22:45:40

I ate the entire pack. I felt bad till I got an automated text to say it had been rescheduled- FOR NEXT WEDNESDAY angry

I'm unreasonable and I don't give a shit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now