Talk

Advanced search

To think this was a bit of an over reaction?

(8 Posts)
incognitonc Thu 13-Nov-14 12:13:54

Today I took my ds (1) to a playgroup. He is pretty competent with walking but still occasionally has the odd tumble. As I was taking my coat off he did fall over, he didn't even cry but as I went to pick him up, the leader swooped in and beat me to it. She started making a massive fuss over him and he began to cry, she offered me a cold compress which I turned down as I really didn't think he needed it.

Once he had stopped crying I took him off to go and play, and she came over again and started checking his head over and found a tiny red mark on his head. She said that since he has sustained an injury she would need to fill out an accident form with me. So I sat with him on my lap while we did this form but by this point he getting a little restless. She then gave me this long talk about what I should do if I suspect he has concussion.

It was the first time I went to this group and I don't think I will go again, I would feel like I couldn't relax and enjoy playing with my son for fear of the tiniest trip or fall. The group is pretty short too so quite a bit of it was taken up with this. I know they have to cover themselves but I think it was a bit of overkill which could potentially worry nervous mums unessesarily.

AIBU to think this was too much?

shellistar Thu 13-Nov-14 12:17:01

They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. It probably was OTT but in the blame culture of today a lot of professionals don't feel like that have a choice. If it was the next child that had fallen and the staff did nothing how long would it be until they parent was in the paper doing the Daily Mail Sad Face?

Hope your little one is ok though :-)

Jackie0 Thu 13-Nov-14 12:21:13

Yanbu
You showed more restraint than I would have.
I wouldnt have gone alone with the 'swooping in', the head exam or the form filling. Was she being quite forceful about it all?

incognitonc Thu 13-Nov-14 12:28:26

Thanks shellistar, he is fine :-)

It is sad that they feel the need to be like this. It was just a case of new walker loosing his footing, no one's fault.

She did not ask if it was ok to check his head over. I'm sure she would have been able to see that I was about to grab him. He is just getting to be a bit clingy so I think being picked up by a stanger was worse than the fall for him.

PaperBagLady Thu 13-Nov-14 12:31:52

Oh god, how precious! I think maybe they're scared of being sued maybe with that reaction?! Toddlers
Fall about a million times a day fgs

diddl Thu 13-Nov-14 12:35:18

It does seem quite OTT if it's a group where you stay as well as surely you are looking after him & are responsible if he get hurt?

PurplePidjin Thu 13-Nov-14 12:36:12

My confident, outgoing, overly-friendly 2yo would cry if a random stranger swooped down on him and picked him up shock

Total over-reaction IMO, she could have at least asked you if he was ok and would you mind just filling in the form while he played hmm

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 13-Nov-14 13:08:03

I thought the form think was for when they had accidents if you weren't there, like Pre-School, because you're the one responsible for them at such a group?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now