Talk

Advanced search

Guide pamper evening to raise money for leaders charity event

(7 Posts)
Jinglebells99 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:54

The guides are having a pamper evening where parents come along and pay to be pampered by the guides. This is to raise money for one of the leaders to take part in a sporting event for charity. I suppose it's one of those things where you have to have a certain amount of sponsorship to enter. How would you feel about that? I don't like pamper evenings at the best of times but am not sure about the money going to this purpose.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 12-Nov-14 17:25:48

Surely the leader should be raising her own money, rather than getting her Guides to do the work for her?? This wouldn't sit right with me at all, I think I would be raising it with the district commissioner or whoever is in charge these days - been a long time since I was a Guide!

WooWooOwl Wed 12-Nov-14 17:27:09

I would be more uncomfortable with the idea of guides 'pampering' me and then being charged for the privilege tbh, but I'm never very supportive of charity fundraising when it's actually just a jolly and someone ticking off an item on their bucket list.

I might go along with it if it was for a charity I care a lot about, but the likelihood is that I'd be sick that night.

StackladysMorphicResonator Wed 12-Nov-14 20:48:26

You should definitely raise this with the district commissioner - it's not appropriate for the leader to be using the Guides so that she can raise her minimum sponsorship for a jolly. I REALLY hate this kind of thing angry

Jinglebells99 Wed 12-Nov-14 20:57:47

Yes that's my feeling too. I think we will give the evening a miss. I really dislike pampering things like facials and massages too. Well i like them at a beauty salon but not by guides lol.

Permanentlyexhausted Wed 12-Nov-14 21:10:56

Guides constantly fundraise for money so that girls can go on all sorts of adventurous expeditions. Is it really so awful that they might also raise money so that one of the volunteer leaders could also go on an expedition (or whatever it is she is doing)? The only difference I can see is that the leader is also raising money for charity - obviously a good reason to tar and feather her.

No, you're right. Best not support the grabby cow who gives up her time to enable your children to have amazing adventures and experiences! Anyone might think you actually cared or something!

Jinglebells99 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:46:28

Nope it's not an expedition and it is nothing to do with guides. I don't particularly want to sponsor her to do this thing, but I would mind less if she asked me to sponsor her directly. It is also for a charity that I have no interest in. And She is from a wealthy background too, whilst being lovely, I dont want to pay for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now