Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Or is this a bit sharp?

(39 Posts)
babymincepie Wed 12-Nov-14 17:04:06

Have been trying to lose weight since July and have concluded I am failing miserably. I ended up sending a miserable text to the leader of the WL class explaining that while she'd been really helpful the problem was evidently with me and there was no point in me going as I was only getting fatter.

She replied that the club would be there "when I decide being healthy is important'

Am I being sensitive or is that a little - mean?

(I probably am BU smile )

LittleBairn Wed 12-Nov-14 17:06:01

She has a point this just isn't about your looks its about you health.

LittleBairn Wed 12-Nov-14 17:06:10

Your.

Sn00p4d Wed 12-Nov-14 17:06:48

Ooft. Pulling no punches there! I'd be inclined to take my custom elsewhere, if ur not getting results anyway and as much as I know nothing about running a slimming club I'm fairly sure she makes some money from you attending so is probably more interested in the pay check than your health/state of mind?!
Try something else and keep your chin up, it's not easy but it'll be worth it smile

ApocalypseThen Wed 12-Nov-14 17:07:00

Well with that quality of support...

Firbolg Wed 12-Nov-14 17:08:09

I think I'd hear that in a somewhat passive-aggressive tone. You presumably signed up and made an effort precisely because you decided being healthy was important - we all know this, but it doesn't translate straightforwardly into automatically healthy behaviour, and losing weight is a very obvious example.

What did you actually want as a response, though? Did you genuinely want to leave with her blessing, or for her to urge you to keep going and motivate you?

BunnyMama Wed 12-Nov-14 17:25:26

I think it is a little... snarky, possibly. but on the other hand, perhaps she knows that sometimes, pointedly drawing a line in the sand will have more meaning/effect than just a bland "that's ok, you can rejoin at any time... "

Sometimes, it's the cruel to be kind comments that eventually do motivate.

dippydaisy1 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:25:42

Try Googling Banting. Its huge here in South Africa.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Wed 12-Nov-14 17:28:13

That would put my back up somewhat.

hoppus Wed 12-Nov-14 17:30:28

It is a little bit mean, is that her usual approach?

curlyweasel Wed 12-Nov-14 17:33:20

Wallop!

I'd be livid if I got that as a response. You are presumably a paying client? Could you imagine getting something similar from someone else you buy a service from?

Cheeky fucker.

FoodieToo Wed 12-Nov-14 17:34:24

That was horrible . I would never go back again.

She's only worried about her loss of earnings anyway!!!

babymincepie Wed 12-Nov-14 17:35:37

I genuinely didn't think of a response - I just wanted to let her know that I wouldn't be going as her opening it is dependent on the no of people showing up so i didn't want her going only for no one to be there if you see what I mean.

I know it's health as well as looks but I was just honestly finding it impossible to stick to and the weekly weigh in was exacerbating issues as I was thinking 'oh, fuck it' blush I've gained a stone since I joined which is dreadful, I know! The irony is that I wasn't even that overweight when I joined, and now I am!

pippinleaf Wed 12-Nov-14 17:36:46

She's got a point. You say you're failing so presumably you're not doing enough activity and/or eating too much. Maybe something else needs to motivate you and sometimes harsh comments do that.

sillymillyb Wed 12-Nov-14 17:37:41

Please reply and say, "I knew you'd understand. health really is SO jmportant, that's why I'm going to slimming world (or any other rival!)

InspirationEscapesMe Wed 12-Nov-14 17:37:45

What a snarky puss. If and when you decide you want to lose weight for yourself, for whatever reason, in a setting with others, then give her the swerve and find another group. I don't know why some diet group organisers still model themselves on Marjory Dawes.

Floralnomad Wed 12-Nov-14 17:37:59

With an attitude like that its amazing that she has any clients at all .

dexter73 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:38:39

I think it is a bit sharp but do you think it may also be a bit true if you have put on a stone since joining?

InspirationEscapesMe Wed 12-Nov-14 17:38:42

Oh, you should totally tell her you weren't overweight when you started! grin

curlyweasel Wed 12-Nov-14 17:40:56

Haha - yes, what Inspiration said...

babymincepie Wed 12-Nov-14 17:42:12

There's some truth in it insofar as obviously I haven't stuck at all very well to the diet.

The problems are that I started a new and demanding role in September and this really limited the time I had to exercise. Also, I damaged my sciatic nerve badly last month and it was difficult to walk never mind exercise! Exercise doesn't massively help me with weight loss but it does help minimise the damage if you like if I do have a blowout.

Then due to new job stress and being sad (recent bereavement) I have been comfort eating and when I thought about weigh in panicked which sort of sent me the other way, which is why I'm trying the "relaxed" (ahem) approach, I do know I'm a fat failure blush but I say this to myself often enough! no one else needs to.

QTPie Wed 12-Nov-14 17:42:37

Incredibly unsupported. I actually think it would be worth saying something to their governing body. Not exactly reporting her, but asking if they have another club local to you with a more "supportive" leader.

I thought the whole idea of these clubs was to provide support? The cynical part of me thinks that maybe the leaders get judged on the loss of their members (and if you aren't "performing", maybe the leader wants to get rid of you?)?

Don't give up on the weightloss, though. Maybe just try a different method?

secretsquirrels Wed 12-Nov-14 17:42:43

If you have put on a stone since joining a weight loss scheme you are not exactly getting what you pay for are you?

OnlyLovers Wed 12-Nov-14 17:43:05

I think her attitude needs some work. I wouldn't go back and I'd explain to her why.

outofcontrol2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:44:44

That is definitely not on, and very passive-aggressive as a response.

There must be other groups in your area that might be more suited to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now