Talk

Advanced search

to think planning a wedding is doable in 18 months from scratch?

(159 Posts)
kiwicatastrophe Wed 12-Nov-14 09:53:23

Please don't flame. We haven't planned or decided or thought of a single thing and it's feeling a bit overwhelming. We have Dc2 due in may and I don't want that to be anymore stressful than it will be (lots of other things going on). Anyone that's congratulated us on our engagement has made a huge point of how if we don't book soon they will all be booked up and they all shock when we say we don't know where we are having it. The thought of thinking of any of it after what people have been saying is making me feel like I've got no idea what I'm doing. It's like our whole families have gone bridezilla asking constantly if so and so can be bridesmaid ect and I just want to scream leave me alone we don't know what we're doing. I know they are all just excited and not trying to be rude at all but am I right in thinking it's just not doable. should we postpone another year or two?

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:56:12

Of course you can! We had a white church wedding - all managed in 3 months!

LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Nov-14 09:56:27

I did it in 10 weeks and there were 120 people there.

I could easily have done it in a month, I have no idea what the fuss is about.

CheeseEqualsHappiness Wed 12-Nov-14 09:56:40

Yeah, did mine in 7

angelos02 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:56:56

Once you've got the venue sorted you could easily sort a wedding in a few weeks. It is only as complicated as you (and your family/friends) make it.

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:57:01

But we didn't have a summer Saturday.

Expedititition Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:27

It really is very easy to plan a wedding. We had a big traditional wedding. Engaged end of August, married end of December.

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:39

We got the venue, sent out invitations and then did the rest. Not difficult.

WishUponAStar88 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:41

18 months is loads of time, however if you think it will be too much stress then postpone if you wish, it's your wedding! Personally I never found planning my wedding stressful as it was something I wanted to do. If it's becoming a chore to organise then perhaps a different/ smaller wedding would be better?

elliejjtiny Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:45

It's definitely doable. So many people have shorter engagements than that. We spent 2 years planning ours but that was mostly because we wanted to finish uni first. Ignore your family, weddings bring out the worst in some people.

octopal Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:54

Planned mine in under 6 months, church wedding with hotel reception after for 70 people.

CountBapula Wed 12-Nov-14 09:58:58

Yup. We did ours in two months.

Lj8893 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:59:31

We booked our venue about a year in advance, but only really started planning our wedding now with about 7 months to go. Our wedding is very much on a budget and diy so needs quite a bit of planning though. 18 months is plenty of time!!!

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:59:43

We got engaged in October, married end of December.

Sn00p4d Wed 12-Nov-14 10:03:47

Planned mine 2 years in advance, then did nothing for about 23 months, we just wanted a specific date hence the two years but it didn't take much organising really, and I had 2 to organise lol, youll be fine, do what you want there will always be people with their "opinions", just block them out if they're not useful! And congratulations! smile

LadyLuck10 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:04:07

It's more than ample time. I had almost 350 people and did it in 8 months. I had to book the venue a year in advance though, so you might want to check on that if you have a specific place in mind.

isambardo Wed 12-Nov-14 10:04:41

It really depends what you want for your wedding. Do you want it big, organised down to the last detail, sit-down meal for lots of people etc? We always knew we wanted ours to be informal and relaxed, we catered for 50 people and it was organised from start to finish in three weeks. I never wanted to commit a year of my life to wedding planning!

Sit down with your partner and figure out what you both want then go from there. Your friends are right though, wedding venues, caterers etc get booked quickly and if you leave it you may not get your first choice.

Personally I would plan to enjoy the new baby next year and not get into big wedding planning.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 12-Nov-14 10:04:47

Depends how fixed you are on where you want to have it. Popular places may be booked up for weekends already. However, as long as you are happy to look around and find somewhere available when you want it will be easy.

However, you may need to change your phone numbers and email address and not tell your relatives for a while.

Permanentlyexhausted Wed 12-Nov-14 10:07:57

Whole church wedding with sit down meal for 80 and evening do with disco and buffet for 120 organised in 3 months, whilst working full time and with 11-14 month old baby in tow.

Depends on how much you're fussed about the details.

Mine was wedding and bridesmaid dress off the peg from monsoon, printed my own invites and orders of service, didn't bother with flowers in the church - just buttonholes and a posy for me, let the wedding planner at the hotel do what she thought fit as far as table decs, etc., made my own wedding favours ...

It just depends on what you want

Gennz Wed 12-Nov-14 10:09:10

Totally. Got engaged in late March, married 5 Jan, everything planned from the other side of the world (living in UK, married in NZ). Was a white church wedding with 120 guests. Could have done it in 3 months easily. Just don't have a massive bridal party that need to be co-ordinated and don't get all crazed and bridezilla-esque about silly things like party favours and chair sashes.

BitterHoneyGreenNight Wed 12-Nov-14 10:10:26

Yes of course it is!

A friend of mine got married recently after spending just 12 weeks planning. It was a lovely day.

CMOTDibbler Wed 12-Nov-14 10:12:43

Yes, but decide on what you and your fiance want from the day, book it, and then tell everyone else what you are doing, and then repeat 'we've made our decisions and are very happy with them' as many times as necessary.

All you need is somewhere to get married, someone to marry you, and somewhere to celebrate. Everything else is extras

JustAShopGirl Wed 12-Nov-14 10:13:25

Yep easily done.. we were engaged in April, married in September. Find a venue, name a date and it all fits from there.

BistoBear Wed 12-Nov-14 10:17:27

18 months is loads of time, we were 15 months from engagement to wedding day. Planned everything ourselves whilst I finished my degree and then started a new job.

Pinterest is your friend for wedding planning smile

Dovahkiin Wed 12-Nov-14 10:17:39

Easily done - did it in 6 months. Just be prepared to have a Friday wedding - places do get booked up. Book your venue and then leave everything else to focus on DC2. Plenty of time. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now