Talk

Advanced search

Is this odd,or am I out of touch?

(29 Posts)
Cyclopsbee Wed 12-Nov-14 09:24:56

I am prepared to be flamed but just want some opinions really cos I think it's abit odd,
Can I firstly say that I don't have Facebook and can't think of a reason why I would want to put my life 'on show' and share silly things like what I've had for lunch etc etc but that's just me old fogey

DS and his girlfriend (both 16) have Facebook as does my DD (24)
My DD passed comment that she thought it was weird that DS girlfriends mother always posts comments on their pages with things like 'loving your choice of boyfriend' and shares photos of them etc,
DS once posted that he was supporting a friend whose parents were divorcing and GF mother comments 'if you want to talk about it I'm here'

DD says it's strange and why doesn't she have friends her own age?

They have a lot of mutual friends as both our families belong to the same sports club and she seems to be friends with a lot of the teenagers.

Is it odd or am I behind the times? ( the mother and myself are both almost 50)

19lottie82 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:26:10

I find it a bit odd, but then again, there are a load of weirdo's on FB, it's like their mecca!

ChippingInAutumnLover Wed 12-Nov-14 09:30:21

It's 'normal' for a lot of people. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just because the mother does this, it doesn't mean she doesn't have her own friends as well, they're not mutually exclusive.

JustAShopGirl Wed 12-Nov-14 09:33:55

my MIL wades in with all sorts of crap on my DDs' friends' stuff... makes her look a bit weird to be honest..

you can try telling her that they don't need her opinion, but she sees EVERYTHING that comes up on her newsfeed as being meant personally for her....

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:35:44

Agree- not mutually exclusive. I have younger friends, but don't comment much as I don't want to embarrass them- but then I don't comment much, or post much anyway. I know some people have been driven off by embarrassing mothers who tell them how much they love them etc.

BramwellBrown Wed 12-Nov-14 09:38:55

it seems to be quite normal among lots of my 16 year old sister's friends, i wouldn't worry about it.

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:41:07

My sons won't have me as a friend- they don't run the risk - this is probably why I am very careful about any comments.

PurpleSwift Wed 12-Nov-14 09:44:10

I think it's just facebook. Some peoples parents like to be overly involved in their child's friends/relationships. Facebook allows it, the boundary lines blur.

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Wed 12-Nov-14 09:47:15

Does it matter if it's odd? I can't see it hurting anyone.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Wed 12-Nov-14 09:48:03

It's quite commen op and can be hilarious. If I were you I would join fb so you can read and enjoy.

Overly involved adults in their children's lives are often unintentionally hilarious.

Even though I'm the kind of cool aunty I'm not that cool to post on my teenager nieces and nephews facebook status. I like the odd random photo or status but thats it. don't nor want everyone's friends kids on my Facebook either.

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:52:49

I know a young woman driven off by her mother posting 'good night my darling girl'!

cheesecakemom Wed 12-Nov-14 09:55:03

I don't think there's anything wrong - she obviously wants to be involved in her child's life.

NancyRaygun Wed 12-Nov-14 09:55:12

Awww have a heart - I think its great she is engaging on social media. Why the hell not??

Ahem: some people might consider posting on Mumsnet "odd".

LightastheBreeze Wed 12-Nov-14 10:03:52

You're not behind the times, you are just not on Facebook. It was originally for young people to keep in touch while at university, it now seems to be the domain of middle aged and older women nosing what is going on in their families lives. MIL (75) is an avid user, one good reason for me and DH not to be on facebook

SaucyJackOLantern Wed 12-Nov-14 10:07:48

It's hilarious when the older generation are all over Facebook- except when it's my mum......

She lets no stone go unturned nor any Facebook post go unliked.

JustAShopGirl Wed 12-Nov-14 10:10:43

I think it is the "news-feed" thing - it comes to THEM, they think it is personal to THEM - like email..

they would feel rude not replying to an email, and treat facebook the same, no matter if it is a friend of a friend etc.....

Cyclopsbee Wed 12-Nov-14 10:12:24

Thanks people, glad others think it's a little odd but harmless, tbh I don't know where she gets the time or inclination, I don't think DS would be my friend if I had Facebook grin
DS says mumsnet is Facebook for the oldies hmm the mother may be a mumsnetter, who knows! think she's more suited to Netmums

TheBooMonster Wed 12-Nov-14 10:21:59

Lol, my aunt is a bit like that, I had to get mum to have a sit down with her about not putting pictures of DD on facebook and connecting them to me as I'm trying to keep DD off facebook for the most part until she's old enough to make the decision herself. But she still comments on basically every post my sister or I make on facebook...

canweseethebunnies Wed 12-Nov-14 10:25:53

I think it's kind of weird, but I would also never post a comment like your ds did about supporting a friend! To me that's overly personal. So basically I think Facebook is just weird!

Jumblebee Wed 12-Nov-14 10:27:33

"Mumsnet is Facebook for oldies"?! Give your son a good talking to OP, I'm only 24 sad

But I spend a lot more time on mumsnet than Facebook, much more entertaining over here with all the oldies grin

0898 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:32:35

Erm enough of the ageist comments, thank youhmm

Cyclopsbee Wed 12-Nov-14 10:50:57

canwe I know! I don't get the stuff people post! this mother has IBS and shares, what I think is far TMI about it shock so all and sundry can see......nowt as strange as folk! So they say

And don't worry, I told him very clearly that mumsnet is defo not for the aged population and if we post something personal at least we are anonymous grin

0898 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:14:27

"Mumsnet is defo not for the aged population"

Define aged, OP?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 12-Nov-14 11:23:58

Perhaps the mum in question likes to describe herself as 'best friends' with her offspring. At any rate she probably has her own circle of friends and contemporaries. It doesn't mean she's weird just blurring boundaries.

I'm not on FB but if I were, am quite sure my DCs would block me from seeing anything of interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now