Talk

Advanced search

To think it's a bit weird to go clubbing with your daughter?

(112 Posts)
CruCru Wed 12-Nov-14 08:02:32

A woman I went to school with has put a comment on FB that she is planning to take her daughter clubbing for the first time "to show her the moves". AIBU to think this is a bit weird? I would have refused to go clubbing with my mum.

Fabulassie Wed 12-Nov-14 08:07:50

No, it's not weird. Some mothers and daughters have different relationships.

firesidechat Wed 12-Nov-14 08:09:06

Well I think it's weird and very much doubt that the mum's moves would pass muster these days, but in other people's world it seems to be ok. Fergie comes to mind.

Having said that my sil is in her late 40's and she has some serious moves, as demonstrated at the last family wedding we went to.

Whippet81 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:12:16

So when do you have to give up clubbing then? Didn't know there was an age limit confused

It's not my scene but we went for my SIL's hen last year age raging from 18 to 75 year old nan.

Can't see a problem at all really if they're both happy. At least they can keep each other safe.

skylark2 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:12:16

I think it's weird, but that's because it would be my daughter taking me clubbing. She's the expert. I've never been.

Nor do I want to, so it's not likely to happen...

CruCru Wed 12-Nov-14 08:18:42

I was 35 when I had DD so by the time she is ready to go clubbing, I will be in my slippers watching Gardeners World not that different from now really

cheesecakemom Wed 12-Nov-14 08:18:51

Yes it's very strange. It's ok to draw the line somewhere. Mum can go alone - no issue there. And the daughter should go with her friend.

Mrsjayy Wed 12-Nov-14 08:19:06

I think its weird but ive known mums who have done it I would nt my dd certainly wouldn't I think when you start going to the same clubs as your children its time to find a different club,

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 12-Nov-14 08:26:55

It's not weird if its an occasional thing, or for an occasion.
If it's very often and it's like you would with friends then yes, that's odd.

OwlWearingSunglasses Wed 12-Nov-14 08:28:44

Think she probably means to show her how to look after herself ie not leaving your drink/bag/friends alone, not getting paralytic and being aware of her surroundings but still having a good time.

Thumbwitch Wed 12-Nov-14 08:30:31

Depends on the people involved. I have a friend who goes clubbing with her daughters, mostly she doesn't look old enough to be their mum (without trying to dress too young, she's just very youthful-looking!) and she's still great fun.
A few years ago, I'd have gone clubbing with her and her daughters too (I'm the same age as the mum) but now I'm too fat and "mumsy".

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:33:35

It doesn't matter how young you look, I am surprised the DD will do it. Maybe she has a controlling mum or a needy mum, or both.

Eminybob Wed 12-Nov-14 08:33:36

When I was about 18 I bumped into my mum in a nightclub. She'd not long split up with my dad and was having some kind of a midlife crisis I think.

The worst bit was she went home with a bloke I had been flirting with all night! shock

CabinetSauvinyoni Wed 12-Nov-14 08:34:14

Weird for her to take her for the first time if she means her daughter has never been out before, that's definitely an experience for friends.

After that though I don't see a real issue if they go out together occasionally, I've taken both of my parents and my aunty out before and had an absolute blast. It just depends on what their relationship is like.

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Wed 12-Nov-14 08:35:53

I find this so weird!! I see on facebook some people my age (28) regularly go out pubbing/clubbing with their mum....

Nothing wrong at all with the mum going out on the lash, but i always find it weird from the daughters perspective. Who wants a night out with their mum?? It may be totally judgemental of me but i just immediately think the daughter needs to get some mates......

CabinetSauvinyoni Wed 12-Nov-14 08:35:54

Eminybob!!

Mrsjayy Wed 12-Nov-14 08:38:22

Ive a great relationship with my dds im a young mum to an adult im not past it she still wouldn't want me to take her to a club, tbf she doesn't go clubbing but pubbing

Mehitabel6 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:38:38

Some mothers just won't let go of the apron strings until they get forcibly cut.

Waltermittythesequel Wed 12-Nov-14 08:38:47

Eminy! shock

I can't imagine going clubbing with my teetotal mum but just thinking about it: if mum was say, 18 when dd was born and dd is turning 18 now perhaps all mum's friend still go clubbing so it's a normal pastime for her?

CarbeDiem Wed 12-Nov-14 08:39:08

It's not weird really. I suppose it depends how close in age you are. My Dm has been clubbing with me and my friends and I've been with my 2 eldest Ds's - more of a meet up while all out though not actually spending the whole night with them.
So long as all concerned are happy - what's the issue?

Poppiesway Wed 12-Nov-14 08:39:20

How old is the mum and the Dd (sorry if ITS been said and I've missed it!)
If she was a young mum and they get on well I can't see the problem.. If she's forcing herself upon her daughter is be a bit hmm
I took DS2 to latitude festival and we had great fun dancing all evening. But we're very close and alike.. DS1 however refuses to go anywhere with me! He's like ex dp..

Thebodynowchillingsothere Wed 12-Nov-14 08:43:15

I go to the pub for a drink with my grown up lads and teen dds for a catch up and maybe a lunch.

I oh shopping with dds.

Clubbing no no no just wierd and actually how boring. You can't hear yourself think! Old me.

TheLovelyBoots Wed 12-Nov-14 08:44:59

Yes, it's weird.

U2TheEdge Wed 12-Nov-14 08:46:43

I personally can never understand why anyone over the age of 25 enjoys clubbing. When I went a few times it was full of men trying to pull you and people making out on the dance floor! I have always been old before my time though grin

I can't imagine my teens ever wanting to take me clubbing because I am so uncool apparently. I am 33 and they act like I am old lady.

whois Wed 12-Nov-14 08:48:10

Depends on the age gap, and what kind of relationship they have I suppose.

If she's a young mum they could be 18 and 36 and both those ages are acceptable to go clubbing.

Depends a bit on what she means by clubbing. Going to a nice club with good music for a dance = not so bad. Going to some sweaty hell hole with mutton dressed as lamb and sleazy men on the prowl where the primary activity in drinking = not so cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now