Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a little more from parents' evening?

(35 Posts)
JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 20:13:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saintsandpoets Tue 11-Nov-14 20:15:30

Yabu. It is your job to ask those questions.

Muchtoomuchtodo Tue 11-Nov-14 20:18:13

YWBU.

You need to go in with a list of what you want to know by the end.

Cantbelievethisishappening Tue 11-Nov-14 20:18:29

You seemed to have had a good chunk of time. They have a whole class to see don't forget.
Wait until secondary school.... 5 minutes per subject teacher on average
If there are issues these will be flagged up. It is still very early in the year. If you want more info make an appointment to see teacher. Likewise, at the next parents meeting they may well have more to say as the year progresses

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 11-Nov-14 20:20:41

I agree that it's you who ask the questions based on what you know about your child and the work they have done so far.

ApocalypseThen Tue 11-Nov-14 20:21:00

So you looked at and discussed her work in two seperate contexts across subjects and discussed a difficulty she's having. That sounds like ample opportunity to engage in discussion and ask your questions. I'm not sure what the teachers should have done?

JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 20:22:42

LeBearPolar Tue 11-Nov-14 20:27:36

Even when you asked them questions? confused

LeBearPolar Tue 11-Nov-14 20:28:48

Sorry - have just seen that you didn't ask any questions. Presumably they thought you didn't have any then.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 20:30:50

DevonFolk Tue 11-Nov-14 20:31:18

As a teacher the first thing I say when parents come in is "is there anything in particular you'd like to discuss?" While they could have been more proactive, you are in no position to feel annoyed that you weren't told anything.

motherofmonster Tue 11-Nov-14 20:31:54

Yabu, teachers are not mind readers. If you have concerns or questions then you need to ask.
tbh the first one of the year will be like this as the teacher will have just learnt all the names and personalities by now and getting straight on where they are and how best they learn

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 11-Nov-14 20:32:29

Why didn't you ask any questions?sounds like you had loads of time with the teacher. I'm a Y1 parent and we had 10 minutes and no work was presented. It was ample time.

DevonFolk Tue 11-Nov-14 20:33:33

It depends on the time of day very often. Sometimes one parent will come and leave the other at home with the DCs. In my current school teachers hold meetings during the school day so children are in class. If it's straight after school children often come in. If you particularly want a meeting without your DD then you need to arrange it.

snowmummy Tue 11-Nov-14 20:34:25

They should have offered information about your child's progress etc. Of course its not up to you to ask questions to glean information. Yanbu.

MrsHathaway Tue 11-Nov-14 20:36:18

Y1 meeting was vague and positive, but I pushed for a negative to find something we could work on.

I don't think infant children benefit from sitting in. That's more for secondary onwards IMHO where their investment is more important.

Redcoats Tue 11-Nov-14 20:36:19

I go with a List of things I want to talk about and keep going till we've gone through them.

I'm probably that mum.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 20:43:57

grumpalumpgrumped Tue 11-Nov-14 21:03:28

Our year 1 parents evening consisted off time to view work, then a 10 minute appointment where progress, effort and level was set. We left with targets for the next term, levels and comments on anything else.

I would have been disappointed with what you had to be honest.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 21:05:49

clam Tue 11-Nov-14 21:24:26

It does sound a bit of a wasted opportunity, to be honest. We give each set of parents a 10 minute slot, after they've had a chance to look through their books in detail. We used to have Yr5 and 6 children along for the consultation, but stopped it a few years back, as it's often easier to speak more bluntly (if required) if the child is not there. We prepare a sheet of bullet-points about each child to form the basis of discussion, with their most recent levels on, plus an opportunity for the parents to raise any issues or share information that might be helpful to us in teaching/looking after their child.

No complaints so far.

JadedAngel Tue 11-Nov-14 21:29:32

surreygoldfish Tue 11-Nov-14 21:33:57

Seems a bit odd and I can see why you might have been thrown, although you could have asked more questions - not sure I would want a year 1 DC with me. (We had DS yr 8 with us for the first time which was fine, although not sure he was too keen on it!). 30 mins sounds a very long time if you don't have particular problems to discuss. Ours is 10 mins - in the hall - (space beforehand to have a look at their books), managed by a bell so absolutely no opportunity to over-run which I think is fab. Have had fairly indifferent parents evenings (indifferent teacher to be honest) and very good ones that have managed to convey sufficient about my DD in the 10 slot and allowed for questions and some discussion. In all cases, the teacher has stood up introduced herself to me and DH and led the meeting.

TrendStopper Tue 11-Nov-14 21:34:23

We have a few different parents sessions. We have ones where we have a look around the class and at the work been done. Then we have one (about a 5 min appointment) where we sit down one to one with the teacher. The teachers are very relaxed on whether children are there or not.

It does sound strange if you were the only parents in the classroom that the teacher didn't engage with you much.

surreygoldfish Tue 11-Nov-14 21:36:31

I don't think my DD (yr3) would be comfortable managing the dynamic (let alone a yr 1 DC. The teachers must have been there for hours - so not a great use of their time either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now