Talk

Advanced search

To think self help books aren't good birthday presents!

(12 Posts)
AnotherEmma Tue 11-Nov-14 19:47:25

DH gave me two self help books for my birthday! As well as a couple of other presents. I'm sure he meant well - I have been feeling a bit down and stressed lately - but...! I didn't mind getting one too much, but two?! AIBU and ungrateful?! (Oh and the irony is that his mum attempted suicide about 6 weeks ago... and he buys ME the self help books!!)

motherofmonster Tue 11-Nov-14 19:49:29

No i can see why you would be a but peeved. Exp once got me trinny and Suzanna what not to wear hmm

cheesecakemom Tue 11-Nov-14 19:58:42

Lol no YANBU

AnotherEmma Tue 11-Nov-14 20:30:09

Maybe we should start a helpful list for men...
What NOT to buy your girlfriend/wife*:
Self help books
Diet books
Weight loss books
Style / "what not to wear" books
Books about how to be good in bed
Housework-related items (eg ironing board, vacuum cleaner, etc)

*Unless she has SPECIFICALLY ASKED for it, which I doubt would happen, but you never know.

motherofmonster Tue 11-Nov-14 20:36:08

Can i add underwear that is 100% polyester grin

my dad once came back from a carboot sale pretty chuffed with his bargin present for me. It turned out to be a 1980's bikini strimmer that was rusty and still had the previous owners pubic hair caught in the metal 'teeth'. He had no idea what it was, and struck a guess at something to do with eyebrows grin

ImTheOneThatKnocks Tue 11-Nov-14 20:37:41

You could give him a self help book entitled 'How not to be an arse' and another called 'how to buy good presents'

Actually, I think he is on to something here, I can think of plenty of books to buy my family. wink

duckbilled Tue 11-Nov-14 20:37:54

My mil once got a dremel mouse for Christmas from fil! What goes through people's heads?!

AddToBasket Tue 11-Nov-14 20:37:56

YABU - I love a self help!

But a friend received bathroom scales from another friend. I did think that was uncalled for grin.

AnotherEmma Tue 11-Nov-14 20:54:26

But AddToBasket do you love reading self help books as presents or just the ones you've chosen to buy??

Some of your examples are brilliant - but what is a dremel mouse?!

I do think people (especially men) must get desperate. It's the only explanation.

AnotherEmma Tue 11-Nov-14 20:57:33

Meant to say getting self help books as presents, altho presumably you would also read it... I may refuse to read mine in protest. Even if it is useful. I'm an ungrateful one me. (Although I was very appreciative of the other presents!)

Balaboosta Wed 12-Nov-14 06:24:57

I would add cookbooks (from a DP that cooked two meals in fifteen years, both "conveniently" inedible)

dashoflime Wed 12-Nov-14 06:41:09

Last birthday Dh got me "End this Depression Now" by Paul Crugman.
I thought it was a very bluntly worded self help book, which would have made sense as I had been a bit low. He couldn't umderstand why I seemed put out.
Turns out its an economics book about the financial crisis blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now