Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be really angry and upset about the whereabouts of my personal info.

(13 Posts)
babybearsmummy Tue 11-Nov-14 16:06:44

Before the school summer holiday, I gave my I.D and both mine and DD's birth certificates to Playgroup so they could finalise her enrollment.

This weekend I needed my I.D and went to the ONLY place in the house I always keep it all.... Not there. I've pulled everything thing out of the filing cupboard and it's all definitely not there.

I've popped to playgroup to ask if they still have it as I don't recall bringing it home, or being asked to collect it. One staff member searched all their filing racks and couldn't find it. As I went to leave, another member of staff told me that another parent (an acquaintance of mine) asked her if they could bring it back to me. The parent in question has not dropped it off to me or told me she'd collected it on my behalf. I've asked her and she says she didn't ask to pick it up from playgroup. Playgroup's response to this is "oh dear, it's a shame it's lost/ a pain for you to sort out"

AIBU to think you don't give personal documents to ANYONE but the owner?? I don't know who's telling the truth and it's now going to cost me a small fortune to replace it all. WIBU to just cry??!!

Musicaltheatremum Tue 11-Nov-14 16:09:06

That's appalling. It doesn't sort where it is but they need to pay for replacements

wheresthelight Tue 11-Nov-14 16:09:15

wow that is a massive breach of data protection if it's true. I would ask to speak to the manager for clarification and if it costs to replace things then the playgroup should be footing the bill

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 11-Nov-14 16:09:32

I would involve the police I think.

However - you were incredibly lax with your documents, there is no way I would leave documents like that anywhere even overnight.

FishWithABicycle Tue 11-Nov-14 16:12:57

That's really appalling. Even if this acquaintance is really honest, the playgroup shouldn't ever do this as it's basically facilitating identity theft.

ScarletFever Tue 11-Nov-14 16:15:43

the playgroup should be replacing, and the other parents attitude stinks "i didnt ask to pick it up"? does she mean " I wasnt asked to pick it up"? ie she wasnt given it

DoJo Tue 11-Nov-14 16:17:54

I was wondering that too - did the acquaintance actually take your documents or was that an arse-covering exercise on the part of the nursery?

babybearsmummy Tue 11-Nov-14 16:28:31

I probably shouldn't have left it all with them, I realise that now. But it's only a small village playgroup on the school's site a 5 minute walk away, so I didn't think they'd go walk-abouts.

Playgroups says my "friend" asked if she could bring them back to me, so they gave them to her. My "friend" says she didn't ask playgroup if she could have them to bring back and never had them in her possession. So I have no idea who's being honest. I did speak to the manager and she's the one with the "oh dear" attitude.

RedToothBrush Tue 11-Nov-14 16:36:51

Data protection issue. I'd kick off. Its important and they should take it seriously, even if this seems like a minor issue to them. They need a kick up the arse to understand this.

DoJo Tue 11-Nov-14 17:06:14

Has the friend got any reason to lie? I can't imagine why she would even know that they had your documents there. Personally, I would be more annoyed that they had given them to someone else - losing them is one thing, not ideal but it does happen, but actively allowing someone else to take them is even worse, so the nursery are at fault either way!

DoJo Tue 11-Nov-14 17:06:18

Has the friend got any reason to lie? I can't imagine why she would even know that they had your documents there. Personally, I would be more annoyed that they had given them to someone else - losing them is one thing, not ideal but it does happen, but actively allowing someone else to take them is even worse, so the nursery are at fault either way!

quietbatperson Tue 11-Nov-14 17:20:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tobyjugg Tue 11-Nov-14 22:10:06

In a financial services company giving a cert. to someone other than its owner would be gross misconduct. YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now