Talk

Advanced search

To rant hear beacuse I'm too polite to rant at a receptionist?

(74 Posts)
itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 11-Nov-14 13:13:11

Got two letters in post yesterday. One with an outpatients appointment for ds1 and the second (dated the same as the first) telling me his appointment has been cancelled and could I please phone to reschedule confused

Just sat on hold for 15 minutes to be told "Oh yes we made the appoinment but had to cancel it as we can't make appointments that far in advance so you will get sent another appointment at a later date"

So why the fuck ask me to phone you then!?

AnAwfullyGoodOxymoron Tue 11-Nov-14 13:14:23

YABU to use 'hear' instead of 'here'.

Plus, spell check.

Well that's helpful Awfully hmm

Pollyteacakes Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:08

YANBU......I hate doctors and dentists receptionists on the whole. It's that bit of power seems to go to their heads.

Fudgeface123 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:25

That's pretty dire isn't it, why didn't they just cancel both letters!

Awfully, did you really need to point that out?

TheCunnyFunt Tue 11-Nov-14 13:22:00

Yep, really helpful Awfully hmm

That does seem bizarre OP, so they made the appointment, printed off a letter to say they'd made one, they cancelled it near enough straight away and printed another letter to tell you they'd cancelled it, then sent both letters? Is that about right?

LittleBairn Tue 11-Nov-14 13:23:26

Oh I do love sneers posters. hmm their lives must be so empty of they need to pick apart something so minor to make themselves feel better.

itis YANBU its the weird way the NHS do letters by dictating them, writing them then being authorised by the Dr all on different dates. From the dictation date to the posting date mine have usually been 3 weeks.
I had one recently making me an appointment (even though I've transferred my care to a other hospital which they know) but sent the letter after the appointment date. Then called to complain that I didn't show up, I'm not even their bloody patient!

fourwoodenchairs Tue 11-Nov-14 13:24:56

Oh piss off Awfully, get a life.

OP that is bizarre!!

WowserBowser Tue 11-Nov-14 13:27:12

It may not be the receptionist's fault though?

Silly error but I don't think it is worth getting het up about.

Nicknacky Tue 11-Nov-14 13:27:19

I opened a letter as soon as the postie delivered it at about 11am one morning to see I had an appointment for 12.30 THAT day!! The receptionist was pretty put out when I said I couldn't make it. She asked me if I could get a babysitter then attend.

It was non urgent thankfully, but couldn't get a sitter with that notice do unfortunately the appointment was wasted.

Wantsunshine Tue 11-Nov-14 13:35:21

Maybe if they send an appointment out then cancel it the clock starts again for their stats and therefore show a lesser waiting time.

I have seen people receive letters for MRI's etc that are for 2AM and then a subsequent letter to not attend. Something isn't right.

squoosh Tue 11-Nov-14 13:35:53

AnAwfullyGoodOxymoron you might want to drop the 'Oxy' part of your name.

WowserBowser Tue 11-Nov-14 13:40:43

Squoosh grin

badfurday Tue 11-Nov-14 13:54:39

Yea it sucks but to be fair it's often not the person on the other ends fault.

I make hundreds of appointments a day all agreed by our consultant. I'd say 15% if them get changed by the consultant later that day or week and I have to call or write to the patient and look like a complete tosser when Saying sorry, we have to cancel your appointment. Usually it's because a more urgent case has come in, but sometimes it's because we have no doctors, or they decide to close a clinic at short notice to go on a study day.

Your phone call was probably one of many she will receive that day.
I'd challenge anyone to come and do my job for a day and manage 15 clinics a week ( around 100 patients) The pressure is immense and ultimately we get the grief from patients on the phone while the consultant is making the decisions.
Sometimes we all need to stop and think about things before kicking off.

WowserBowser Tue 11-Nov-14 13:56:16

Yy, bad - totally agree

WowserBowser Tue 11-Nov-14 13:58:41

I used to work for a credit card company. It sometimes would get really really busy. People would phone and kick off about the queuing time and I would want to scream 'DO YOU THINK I WANT TO BE THIS BUSY'!!

I realise it is very annoying but it wasn't my fault that my company didn't employ more people.

Altinkum Tue 11-Nov-14 13:59:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackeyedsusie Tue 11-Nov-14 13:59:50

I think the system is to fault here.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 11-Nov-14 15:02:30

Oh I know it's a system fault which is why I was perfectly polite and friendly to the lady on the phone. I don't even have an issue really with the appointment and cancellation being sent out on the same day. It's just frustrating when the letter tells you specifically to phone even though they don't actually want you to phone!

I'm sure the lady on the phone is lovely and this sort of crap is the Bain of her life. Hence my whinge hear wink and not at her.

holidaysarenice Tue 11-Nov-14 16:33:16

Awfully pointed out an error, just as the op did. Not much difference.

Letters for appointments here are automatically generated when the clinic is opened, close it afterwards and cancellations are automatically generated. May be an explanation?

squoosh Tue 11-Nov-14 16:48:49

Awfully pointed out an error, just as the op did. Not much difference.

Not much difference? I'd say there's a glaringly obvious difference.

The OP was describing a situation that actually has some impact on her life. Awfully was just being unpleasant for the sake of it.

raltheraffe Tue 11-Nov-14 16:51:45

These are just standard letters. I used to get them all the time when I was seeing a consultant. Very irksome, but no point shouting at receptionist as it is not their fault.

ThePinkOcelot Tue 11-Nov-14 16:53:03

Ahh just piss off Awfully!!

AttitcusFinchIsMyFather Tue 11-Nov-14 17:00:04

Bad spelling and grammar can have an impact on your life. I would reject an CV with a mistake such as that.

fourwoodenchairs Tue 11-Nov-14 17:01:37

Helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now