Talk

Advanced search

To think the BBCs coverage of the Remembrance Ceremony on Sunday and the Armistice Day broadcast today was utterly dire>

(12 Posts)
JimmyChoosChimichanga Tue 11-Nov-14 11:37:59

Just that really. Terrible camera work and the sound too. Jumping around and people talking out of shot - appalling really.

maras2 Tue 11-Nov-14 11:40:40

I thought it was good and enjoyed it.

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Tue 11-Nov-14 11:44:29

I had ITV's on. (Always strikes me as ironic that I work from home on my own, and turn the TV on for silence.) It was terrible too - loads of talking, which I found baffling. Who on earth thought it was OK for someone to recite 'Age shall not wither them' during the two minute silence?? (That was in Canterbury Cathedral, so not strictly ITV's fault. But still...)

JimmyChoosChimichanga Tue 11-Nov-14 12:13:25

I get that it's live but surely the BBC should be the best of the best at this if nothing else. What happened to the commentary on Sunday? It didn't start until halfway through. Sophie Raeworth cut off in her prime and random shots of the city of London at the most poignant and interesting moments. Clicking and paper shuffling and buzzing dropping out to nothingness. How can they justify their salaries if this is as good as it gets. If they can't get this right after all the years of doing it, I think they should be ashamed of themselves.

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Tue 11-Nov-14 17:57:01

Also, slightly off-topic, but doesn't The Last Post usually signal the end of the silence? I might be wrong about this and misremembering, but today the bugler at the Tower played it over the chimes of Big Ben, which sounded a bit chaotic and wrong.

MrsHathaway Tue 11-Nov-14 18:15:19

Coverage fine, editing amateur. Constantly on the wrong camera.

Shame.

I cried anyway.

Thebodynowchillingsothere Tue 11-Nov-14 18:20:10

Radio 5 live is far far better.

Was in ASDA today at the 2 minutes silence. Impeccably observed save for a very old lady weeping quietly. Very moving.

igivein Tue 11-Nov-14 19:05:40

Absinthe the last post is played at the beginning, then the two minutes silence then revelle (sp??)

FrancesNiadova Tue 11-Nov-14 19:17:54

YANBU, the camera was jumping about all over the place. It looked like a 1980s home video.

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Tue 11-Nov-14 19:21:40

Ah thanks for that igivein. I suspected the people who organised the service at the actual Tower of London would know better than me, but it sounded wrong! (Come to think of it, that could be because the services I usually go to wouldn't have Big Ben in the background...)

Stylecraft Tue 11-Nov-14 19:25:59

Normally for Remembrance Sunday, there are the chimes from Big Ben, then the 2 mins silence, then the Last Post. I watched the footage on Sunday and thought it was lovely, especially the focus on the recent victims of war.

Saltire Tue 11-Nov-14 20:08:23

I thought Sunday's coverage from the Cenotaph was a bit strange, usually they show all the columns marching but they seemed to miss a few out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now