Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think you don't leave dc alone in soft play while you have a cigarette

(23 Posts)
Baabaapinksheep Tue 11-Nov-14 08:10:09

Dc have told me that this is what xp does when he has them, I'm fuming!

He sees then about once a month and always takes them to soft play, and leaves them alone inside while he goes outside to have a fag. They are 4 and 6.

HappierThanEverBefore Tue 11-Nov-14 08:14:55

YNBU any thing could happen in those 5 mins they are left. I would be fuming

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 11-Nov-14 08:15:41

Well the risk is minimal but I'm surprised the soft play lets him. I'm with you in that it's pretty lame but also I don't think he should be interacting with them at soft play unless he wants to.

Iggi999 Tue 11-Nov-14 08:16:42

Soft play is not a crèche. They expect parents to be responsible for their dcs at all times.
He is a knob to be honest.

sickntiredtoo Tue 11-Nov-14 08:52:51

They are 4 and 6!! They are fine for a couple of minutes in a sost play.Don'y you ever got to the loo when you take them?

ColdTeaAgain Tue 11-Nov-14 09:00:15

YANBU! What an idiot.

Birdsgottafly Tue 11-Nov-14 09:14:20

It depends on how the building is set up.

Mine played in the street unsupervised at this age, whilst I was in the house and I would nip to the corner shop.

I expected my children to behave, though. They are now all older teens and matured quickly and are very self reliant.

I think age appropriate self discipline and self regulation, being taught personal responsibility and being given Independance is what a lot of children these days lack, to their detriment.

19lottie82 Tue 11-Nov-14 09:25:40

I was at the soft play with my cousin and her 4 year old last week. He tripped and bit his lip = blood everywhere and a hysterical, very scared wee boy. What would have happened if we were both outside "having a fag"?

Baabaapinksheep Tue 11-Nov-14 09:26:15

The soft play is quite large, over two floors, and there is a bowling alley and laser quest thing as well.

To be honest I wouldn't leave them to go to the loo, I would get them to come with me. But regardless, going to the loo is sometimes necessary, having a cigarette never is!

Infinity8 Tue 11-Nov-14 09:42:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jasper Tue 11-Nov-14 10:23:01

yabu unless he is gone for more that a few minutes

Birdsgottafly Tue 11-Nov-14 10:24:05

""The soft play is quite large, over two floors, and there is a bowling alley and laser quest thing as well. ""

Then that's different. The Soft Plays that I use would be safe to leave a 6 & 4 year old in.

It does need addressing, especially how busy everywhere is going to be coming up to Christmas, it's easy to lose a child etc.

FruitCakey Tue 11-Nov-14 10:34:02

YANBU! I have seen parents do this and it pisses me off! What if the child was to fall and hurt themselves? What if they were to suddenly vomit? Or a bigger kid was bullying them? I would hate to think that my DS was upset and wandering around aimlessly for me.

Birdsgottafly Tue 11-Nov-14 10:41:36

It's personal choice, we were sent across roads, to play in the park at this age.

If something happens, then children learn how to deal with things, guard against accidents etc.

Not so much the 4 year old, but a 6 year old should be taking enough care at Soft Play not to be having accidents.

We played on concrete.

The layout of the place is what would concern me, if the children do not do as they are told and stay in the Soft Play part.

fromparistoberlin73 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:48:31

for a few mins? you are being precious TBH

squoosh Tue 11-Nov-14 10:53:55

I don't see the big deal really.

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 11-Nov-14 11:06:14

Ever single soft play I have ever attended has signs around saying things like "do not leave children unattended"

Our local one will not buzz you out of the door without asking who is watching your children

TrendStopper Tue 11-Nov-14 11:18:39

Some people take their kids to places like this so that they don't have to watch them. Last time I went to a soft play place there were kids of about a year or two being left to look after themselves while their parents drank their coffees & chatted to friends.

Iggi999 Tue 11-Nov-14 11:32:23

Having a chat and a coffee is totally different to leaving the premises IMO but also in the soft play owner's opinion! If there was a fire the dad would not be allowed back in. If an accident their insurance might be invalidated. Though it sounds like a quality place if they're happy to buzz him in and out in the first place.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 11-Nov-14 11:48:47

YANBU that is far too small.

TrendStopper Tue 11-Nov-14 17:38:21

iggi - I don't think there is much difference between sitting and having a coffee and a chat and going outside for a cigarette. Both are wrong IMO because neither are supervising their children.

littlemslazybones Tue 11-Nov-14 17:46:19

I think it is a huge difference trend. If you are drinking your coffee and just ignoring your children you are still available to them if they need you.

Baabaapinksheep Wed 12-Nov-14 16:03:11

Totally agree that they need a bit of freedom, but I'm not sure that somewhere that is effectively a public building is the right place.

I'm worried in case one of them gets hurt, or if there was a fire. It just seems like an uneccessary risk to take, it's not like he HAS to smoke.

Dd1 said last night that she doesn't like being left but xp doesn't listen to her, think that's possibly a bigger problem if dc aren't happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now