Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think blue LED Christmas lights are the work of the devil?

(50 Posts)
Sunna Tue 11-Nov-14 07:08:20

I hate, hate, hate them. They are far too intense and dominate the entire tree.

We spent an afternoon at the weekend trailing round garden centres looking for multi-coloured lights with NO blue. All in vain.

I hate them on houses as well and there is a house down the lane that has just blue lights everywhere, every year. I snarl every time we pass it.

Blue lights are just too pushy. I yearn for old-fashioned lanterns with old fashioned bulbs.

StetsonsAreCool Tue 11-Nov-14 07:11:13

Blue LEDs make me go cross eyed. I hate driving past them because I get all squinty and end up not seeing the road properly for a few seconds. Makes me really angry, so YANBU.

fairnotfair Tue 11-Nov-14 07:12:01

Sunna, these don't contain blue, but maybe they're too pinky?

StetsonsAreCool Tue 11-Nov-14 07:12:28

Oh, and that goes for lorries and vans and stupid cars that feel the need to decorate themselves in blue LEDs too. Rage! smile

ovenchips Tue 11-Nov-14 07:15:11

YANBU. They bother me uncommonly too. What's festive about a piercing, icy blue light?

DreamsOfFreddieInTheNight Tue 11-Nov-14 07:15:36

You can get non-led (and non blue!) coloured light sets on Amazon, 200 for a tenner. I just ordered two sets as mine broke last year!

CuttedUpPear Tue 11-Nov-14 07:15:57

Also agree.

Sunna Tue 11-Nov-14 07:21:28

Hmm. That pink is looking bit bossy, fair.

I shall browse Amazon, thanks, Dreams

Agree about blue decorated cars and lorries. They just aren't warm and friendly.

Winterbells Tue 11-Nov-14 07:28:26

Yes, I hate the blue colour but I do much prefer LED lights.

here and here sell warm white (and other colours) LED lights.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Tue 11-Nov-14 07:34:53

I agree about the all blue ones being overpowering. They look more nightclub than Christmassy. But I'm surprised you're having so much trouble finding alternatives. Amazon are good online for lights. Also Homebase.

I much prefer led strings of lights though. The bulbs used to be the bane of Christmas. Too much of a fiddle trawling about looking for exactly the right spares.

Thunderbolt Tue 11-Nov-14 07:39:30

I don't like it when people have only blue lights but I think the blue looks nice mixed in with other colours.

I think you will be hard pressed to find multicoloured lights with no blue at all. Last year I got some lights from Maplin and the blue was very subdued. Maybe you could buy some spare bulbs in other colours and replace the blue ones?

Roussette Tue 11-Nov-14 07:43:37

I'm just surprised at people liking the blue (don't mean to offend anyone, honest!) because I hate them! There's a house near me that covers itself with blue, I honestly keep thinking it's ambulances and police cars as I come towards it. Get caught every time. Say to myself "oh dear what's the emergency services doing here..." Then I realise.

Can I suggest this website, I use them lots (love lights. not blue ones!)

{{http://www.lights4fun.co.uk/ here]]. Excellent service, fairy lights and outside lights fantastic, no quibble guarantee.

Roussette Tue 11-Nov-14 07:43:58

ooops try again. here

7to25 Tue 11-Nov-14 07:44:29

Here in Glesga, blue lights = Rangers

ClashCityRocker Tue 11-Nov-14 07:49:21

I dislike the blue lights, they put me in mind of police or ambulance.

And the bright white ones when done to excess. Too harsh and cold. Give me multi coloured fairy lights or warm white ones any day.

Sunna Tue 11-Nov-14 07:50:52

Thanks for the tips. Glad I'm not alone. fsmile

YABU, I love the blue ones, they're my favourite. We have a set of blue icicle ones to go in the living room window, they look amazing from inside, all cold and icy against the black window, but I do agree they look a bit emergency service like from the outside once we've got the white curtains drawn behind them, we haven't used them for the last couple of years for that reason, might put them up again this year and just switch them off when we shut the curtains. We have multicoloured lights on our tree, I hate plain white ones.

There's a high street near here which has trees above the shops with just blue and green lights, they look amazing.

KahloSherman Tue 11-Nov-14 07:57:37

YANBU. Christmas lights should be warm and soft and twinkly!

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 11-Nov-14 08:01:38

I'm with rousette and clash. I always think they're emergency services lights and end up slowing down as I round the corner, to remember it's the stupid house lights again.

Great, they may get people to drive more sensibly over winter and in the dark. But I do wonder whether people will just start ignoring blue flashing lights until it's too late.

NCIS Tue 11-Nov-14 08:02:27

I want some warm white ones that are battery operated to light up my bannister but am struggling to find any, nasty blue ones abound.

Thunderbolt Tue 11-Nov-14 08:07:04

NCIS, I actually just ordered some from this website!

Dawndonnaagain Tue 11-Nov-14 08:19:52

I love blue lights!
<runs away>

MandarinCheesecake Tue 11-Nov-14 08:20:41

I think most Multi coloured lights contain blue. If they don't have blue I should imagine they will be too pink/orange based
You may be better off with the traditional fairy lights as the blue is not so in your face and very muted.

I have soft glow frosted LED's (warm white) I got from B&M last year as I didn't want them too bright. They are the best ones I have had, cheap too!!
They do have the coloured ones but again they contain blue, I cant remember what they look like lit up, but if mine are anything to go by it will be muted.

But I agree the bright "emergency services" Blue is way too much, especially if that's the only colour used, worse still when they flash!

MandarinCheesecake Tue 11-Nov-14 08:31:25

I want some warm white ones that are battery operated to light up my bannister but am struggling to find any, nasty blue ones abound

The Range have Warm White battery operated lights
here

Can order online if you don't have a store nearby!

HicDraconis Tue 11-Nov-14 08:36:09

Originally, blue LEDs were the most difficult to make and the most expensive. You could make green, red, orange & white (and get them from Maplin's for a few pence) but blue ones were more like £5.

Now they've become easier to make they're everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now