Talk

Advanced search

Peppa pig bag

(29 Posts)
Wozald1989 Mon 10-Nov-14 19:36:35

Aibu to hide my 6 year olds peppa pig bag so she can't take it to school tomorrow? She normally takes a princess bag but has decided she wants peppa pig now! I think she might get kids mocking her and she alredy struggles to make friends..

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 10-Nov-14 19:41:09

Why would people mock her?

CountingThePennies Mon 10-Nov-14 19:43:01

I knew a child a couple of years ago that was really into peppa pig aged 8.

They never said anyone teased them about it

BitterHoneyGreenNight Mon 10-Nov-14 19:44:05

My Yr 1 DD likes Peppa still and a couple of her classmates have Peppa luncboxes.. You're over thinking this OP.

stargirl1701 Mon 10-Nov-14 19:44:53

Eh? I think Peppa Pig is very popular

youmakemydreams Mon 10-Nov-14 19:45:05

As much as I totally 100% understand that feeling because I have had it myself in the past yabu.

If she likes it let her use it. I have learnt in 11 years of parenting that sadly my oldest 2 dc are never going to be popular. And no amount of having the right things makes that happen. Other kids will always find something to pick on if they are going yo pick on someone. I prefer to go for the you wear what you like and build up bags of self esteem approach now. And it works. DD still prefers Vans and super dry. Ds1 has long hair and an individual sense of style and is incredulous that people would rather be cold and fashionable than warm.

Anyway surely 6 is not too old for peppa pig???

Purplefrogshoes Mon 10-Nov-14 19:46:53

Yabu my 6 year old dd loves Peppa

Wozald1989 Mon 10-Nov-14 19:48:48

I personally don't feel she's too old for it, she watches it every morning, but just wasn't sure about children's playground politics! She doesn't care what people think about her at all, wish I could be more like her..

CallMeExhausted Mon 10-Nov-14 19:51:43

My daughter is 9 and LOVES Peppa. I think you need to worry less about what others think - she will either discover like-minded friends or learn to defend her choices.

Sadly, the lesson you are teaching her is to forget what makes her happy in the interest of conformity and "social norms".

For God's sake - she is 6. Let her have a childhood!

futterwacken Mon 10-Nov-14 19:53:00

Bullies will bully no matter what so might aswell do and have what you like. Just teach her to shrug and ignore. But I really dont think anyone is going to be mean to a 6 year old for liking peppa pig.

geezerhere Mon 10-Nov-14 20:07:36

Nothing wrong with peppa pig. My 5 yr old ds was recently given a peppa pig water bottle by a friend. Loves it and takes it to school every day.

Findhector Mon 10-Nov-14 20:09:36

I just asked DS (6) if he would think someone in his class was weird for having a Peppa Pig bag and he looked at me in great puzzlement and shook his head. Then he said "i would just think they had a cool Peppa pig bag".

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 10-Nov-14 20:10:36

Wozald YANBU.

And all the people saying "Eh? What's up with Peppa?" it is a sad fact that once children hit year one....they generally give up on Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Thomas and Peppa.

They just do.

They move on to Batman, Hello Kitty etc.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 10-Nov-14 20:12:22

And to expand...it is ALL very well saying "Let bullies be bullies...." and "Let her express herself"

But until you have had a child who struggles socially, you might not understand fully.

You need to doubly arm them against attack. It IS sad, it IS wrong but I have been there and no, I wouldn't let my child take something which COULD make them a target. I'd distract, I'd lose...I'd NEVER tell my child it was babyish but I wouldn't let them take it.

lomega Mon 10-Nov-14 20:14:34

I'm confused. Why would a 6 year old be picked on over a peppa pig bag? Pretty sure my neices and cousin's children liked it until they were 8ish?

smallandimperfectlyformed Mon 10-Nov-14 20:20:41

I understand your concerns - my 5 year old (just in reception) until very recently loved loved loved Peppa (I think she still does really) but then wouldn't take a Peppa Pig bag to school as she didn't want the other kids to think she was a baby. Now one of her friends has one at school she happily takes hers. I think I agree with ClawHands because whilst I think it's good to stand up for yourself etc, you don't want something to draw attention to them.
Ultimately it's your decision but either way YANBU.

fairylightsintheloft Mon 10-Nov-14 21:00:37

this is really interesting. DS is in y1 and the youngest in his class. He is having some friendship issues now - a big divide with the already 6s who are really into the superheroes and Star Wars and DS who is considered a "baby". Its partly cos he has slight ASD and echolalia and they take the piss out of that but we were just today asking him if he'd like to replace his Thomas bag and he said yes. He also still loves peppa, but would probably not watch it if his younger sister didn't. I would love him to be strong enough to defend his choices but he really is struggling at the moment and I can't help feeling we can make things easier for him if we help him to "fit in" a bit more. OP I totally understand your concerns but as Peppa seems on the margins for Y1, maybe let her take it for a day or two and see what happens.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 10-Nov-14 21:18:07

Lomega yes...my ten year old enjoys it but she wouldn't ever have carried a bag with Peppa on it past year 1 tops.

Fairy it's a very unusual child who's able to stand alone in their tastes at age 5...6...7..8....9...and so on.

ASD or not, most children don't have either the personality or the nerve to go against peer pressure. Of course there are exceptions....

Floggingmolly Mon 10-Nov-14 21:21:19

It would be a very unusual 8 year old who was still not only watching Peppa Pig, but would carry a PP bag without embarrassment...

theeternalstudent Mon 10-Nov-14 21:26:46

I got rid of my DD's Peppa lunch box for exactly this reason. Sad as it is, if I can help it, I won't let her be laughed at for having 'baby things'. She already got a few comments at a party last week for wearing all her jewellery in her own original style. Sorry, but at this age it's all about conforming.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 10-Nov-14 21:32:12

42 yr old DH has discovered Ben and Holly this week. He continued watching even after DD took herself to bed.

I think it very much depends on the child as to whether teasing/ comments effect them. My eldest is very comfortable in what he likes, middle one very fragile and crippled by the slightest bit of criticism. Youngest likes everything as is a bit oblivious to teasing.

Posingwithpenguins Mon 10-Nov-14 21:32:28

Although if the OP had a son with a Peppa pig bag or a princess bag MN would undoubtedly favour the latter grin

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 10-Nov-14 21:39:30

Flogging nah. I know loads of children older than 7 who watch "Baby shows" Loads of them. DD is ten and she and her ever so grown up friends love to watch Peppa and Ben and Holly ..."for a laugh" you understand...it's not that they are charmed by the characters at all...oh no!

Wozald1989 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:41:26

It's been really interesting seeing everiones views, I think I might let her try it out and she can decide

Thisvehicleisreversing Mon 10-Nov-14 23:08:13

Both my DSs love Peppa pig and they're 13 and 9 grin

Ds2 had a Peppa lunch bag when he was 5/6 before he decided football ones were cooler.

I think he'd like one again now though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now