Talk

Advanced search

NOT AIBU but to ask for urgent help from any Urdu speakers?

(13 Posts)
carovioletfizz Mon 10-Nov-14 14:35:03

Can anyone translate this into Urdu for me for a local community group I need to make posters for? It would be such a great help if anyone could!I thought I had had it translated but somewhere along the line it hasn't been.

A drop-in for all pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and families
Chat to other mothers and build your confidence.
Get one-to-one help from specially trained staff. And enjoy some tasty
refreshments!'

THANK YOU!

Suefla62 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:55:38

use translate.google.com

MrsTerrorPratchett Mon 10-Nov-14 14:58:16

Google translate isn't awesome. Sorry, no Urdu here!

carovioletfizz Mon 10-Nov-14 15:53:58

Thanks! I did try google translate but am aware a translation from a native speaker would be better...

WhyBeHappyWhenYouCouldBeNormal Mon 10-Nov-14 15:56:08

Would someone at the community group be able to help you? (if no one on here turns up)

carovioletfizz Mon 10-Nov-14 16:05:08

No I need the posters done before it launches....

WhyBeHappyWhenYouCouldBeNormal Mon 10-Nov-14 16:08:39

Ah, I didn't realise it was an entirely new venture.

ArthurShappey Mon 10-Nov-14 16:09:03

I'm afraid I can't, but surely if you have posters in Urdu you're going to need people who speak Urdu in the drop in group? So who is going to help at the drop in and can they not translate?

Don't use google translate - it's likely to come up wrong.

britbat Mon 10-Nov-14 16:14:01

If you've nobody who can write the sign in Urdu then how are you going to cater for the non-English speaking Urdu speakers who turn up to the meeting???

If I spoke X Language and I saw posters in X Language rather than the usual tongue of the country I was in, I'd expect another X speaker to attend...

:-/

Pipbin Mon 10-Nov-14 16:48:31

Have you tried twitter?

Pipbin Mon 10-Nov-14 17:12:34

It is a good point there Britbat.

Are any of the advisers Urdu speakers? If not is there going to be much point in someone who only speaks Urdu coming along?

sashh Mon 10-Nov-14 17:20:23

Depending where you are, and if there are enough Urdu speakers for your posters, there will be a local community radio station, they will translate it for you and probably broadcast it as well.

There are many women who don't speak English who can't read in Urdu so it would probably be a good idea too.

<don't mean to patronise if you already know that>

carovioletfizz Mon 10-Nov-14 18:20:52

There is someone that I can't get hold of today or tonight that speaks Urdu, thanks for your help everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now