Talk

Advanced search

to book a day off work while the kids are at nursery

(51 Posts)
PeppaPigStinks Mon 10-Nov-14 13:42:48

I am tired. I need a day to myself, to do nothing!
My children go to nursery for the whole day of one of my working days. The other two days I work they spend with grandparents. Almost all of my leave has been used to take days off when GPs decide they want to do something else (fair enough - they are entitled to their own time as well but don't understand we have to work AND its their choice to look after the kids as I have offered to put them in nursery.)

but AIBU to book a day off when no else is at home and have a day on my own? I feel like I should do something constructive with my leave or that I should use the time to do something with the family!

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 13:44:00

Blimey no....hope you've already booked it.

middlethird Mon 10-Nov-14 13:44:48

Not in the slightest! YADNBU

Enjoy your day off!! grin

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 10-Nov-14 13:46:32

Def not - go for it!

Will the nursery consider letting you book the occasional extra day when the GPs aren't available? Sounds like you could do with an alternative to covering it all with annual leave?

CromerSutra Mon 10-Nov-14 13:46:39

Do it. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of time to yourself. It makes you happier and in turn a better parent.

Coolas Mon 10-Nov-14 13:47:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 10-Nov-14 13:49:00

Absolutely! I'd kill for a mooch day (only a slight exaggeration).

Book it without speaking aloud otherwise the kids get I'll - bitter experience sad

Kalinka16 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:49:05

Not unreasonable at all... But plan something great in for yourself. I usually do a day at the spa in such circumstances :-)

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:51:00

Do it! I'm doing it right now. Had a nap, read book, drank tea and now actually can't wait to pick DS up. No laundry. No cleaning. No chores. Just relax. You'll be a better mum and employee for it.

MangoBiscuit Mon 10-Nov-14 13:52:02

YANBU at all. Sounds like it might be your only "day off" all year. smile

That said, I would feel the guilt too. I would pick one job to do that's a pain in the arse to do with the DCs at home, that looks good when it's done. (tidying / reorganising the wardrobe for example) do that, then book the rest of my day with things for me. Nice long soak in the bath, cup of tea and a boxset, do my nails, whatever I fancied, making damn sure I had plenty of rest. To pinch a phrase from a friend and fellow MNer, Relentless Self Care! You need to make sure you take time to look after yourself, not just everyone else.

catgirl1976 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:52:04

Good god YANBU.

I do it as often as I can, which in reality is once every couple of months. I love it. Even if I do very little. Sometimes I end up cleaning the house like an idiot, but if I manage a day just lolling around, reaidng, having a bath without a small person screaming "MUMMMMMMY" up the stairs on a loop, I am a very happy bunny.

LadyLuck10 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:53:34

Yanbu! Even mums need a day for themselves. Enjoy and don't feel bad.

Iggly Mon 10-Nov-14 13:54:11

YANBU

I do this all the time

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:55:51

YADBU and, as a previous poster said, check whether nursery could cover occasional extra days. You don't know whether other kids may be on holiday - worth a go!

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:56:33

*YAD-N-BU blush

Lochdubh Mon 10-Nov-14 13:59:31

My DH and I took a whole week off while our DC stayed at nursery. We did loads of chores, but took time for a boozy lunch, coffee and cake and a lie in. Even with the 'working' part, it's one of the best holidays I've ever had smile thoroughly recommend it.

WowserBowser Mon 10-Nov-14 14:02:47

I would definitely say go for it! Give yourself a break.

Gunpowder Mon 10-Nov-14 14:07:42

DO IT!

WineSpider Mon 10-Nov-14 14:10:37

Are you kidding?! Do it!!

I did last week and got some Christmas shopping done, went to the hairdresser and had a lovely long bath. I felt like a new woman afterwards!

MamaMed Mon 10-Nov-14 14:50:19

Yadnbu. Do it and enjoy it! grin

Heels99 Mon 10-Nov-14 14:51:36

Do it, but don't spend all day catching up on chores. Have some down time.

theeternalstudent Mon 10-Nov-14 14:52:05

Absolutely do it. There should be one rule however - no housework!

HKat Mon 10-Nov-14 15:00:12

Agree with everyone else -def not unreasonable! DP and I try to do this every few months and use the time to pop out for lunch or go to the cinema. We have no help with childcare die to family living miles away so it's a must as far as we're concerned!

PeppaPigStinks Mon 10-Nov-14 15:05:25

Ok thanks - I am going to do it!
thank you - I don't feel half as bad now.

my friend has made me a voucher for her beauty therapy business so I think I will cash that in with her! although even that feels a little too social for what I am craving.

As an example of how bad I look - I have hairy-er eyebrows than the gorilla in 'That's not my monkey' (..... its eyebrows are too hairy). shock

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:06:55

Ha ha. Sounds like the perfect way to spend your day. Enjoy it, and not a moment's guilt please smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now