Talk

Advanced search

to try to sneak my 3-weeks-under-10 DS into GoApe?

(22 Posts)
MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:07:26

He's more than tall enough, very mature and - though it'll be the first time ever - we'll lie through our teeth. They don't ask to see proof of age for the TreeTop adventure, do they?

LadyCybilCrawley Mon 10-Nov-14 13:10:12

If anything happens , and accidents do sometimes , likely he won't be covered under their insurance policy

I wouldn't do it

Iggi999 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:11:47

Go in three weeks time.

feetheart Mon 10-Nov-14 13:14:26

I'm all for doing this for lots of other events but for something like Go Ape I wouldn't. He won't be covered by insurance if anything happened.

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:20:22

Sigh. I hate it when people are all bloody sensible and talk me out of fun things ;) I think it'll be too cold in a few more weeks - we wouldn't have a chance to go until the Christmas holidays - but unfortunately you're right and IABU.

BloodyDogHairs Mon 10-Nov-14 13:27:42

Give them a phone and ask, my DS was a few weeks away from the age you had to be for a activity I had planned so I emailed to query and was told if I felt he would be ok then it was fine, he could take part.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Mon 10-Nov-14 13:29:25

I am sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels!!

How dare you come onto AIBU, ask a question, listen to the responses and act reasonably in response to them? This is not how AIBU works!! MN is wobbling on its axis as we speak! winkgrin

RedSoloCup Mon 10-Nov-14 13:34:40

I so want to go here, maybe for oldest DD birthday next year as she will be 10 smile!!

I wouldn't sneak him in though no.

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:36:25

SDT, I can only apologise grin

I phoned them and no dice due to insurance. On the plus side, I found Aerial Extreme where it's only a height limit - hurrah!

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:39:29

And they have a 100ft free fall experience. Oh my stars. I can feign ignorance til the day, when that bit is all booked up, right?

I've already had to rope in my best mate to bring his perfect blend of supportiveness and sarcasm to get me up there.... blush

thegreylady Mon 10-Nov-14 13:46:22

My dd took the boys aged 6 and 8 to Go Ape in September. They had a family ticket and there was an appropriate route for them.

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 13:47:09

Yes, we've done that. It was fun but not challenging enough for any of us.

GlaceCherries Mon 10-Nov-14 13:50:47

We took our 9 yr old on a Go Ape course - it was a freebie company do thing, they were plenty tall enough and had a great time, no accidents fortunately.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 15:35:39

Indoor climbing centre for his birthday with a climbing lesson? That way you can stay firmly on the ground too grin

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 10-Nov-14 20:26:07

We took DS there when he was just 10 with his two slightly older cousins. We walked away as it was absolutely hideously expensive and we would have needed to pay for two reluctant adults to go on the course with them. Much better value can be found elsewhere.

JuniperTisane Mon 10-Nov-14 20:29:46

My nephew did GoApe in Essex for his 7th birthday. He aced the low courses and then put all the adults to shame on the very highest ones grin.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 10-Nov-14 20:50:47

Are you sure that it was GoApe? The one round here won't take them till 10.?

JuniperTisane Mon 10-Nov-14 21:23:24

We took him to the Bracknell one in 2012 as our nearest, Bedgebury Forest, didn't have the junior licence yet which takes children from 6 years old. it does now but Bracknell seems to have been removed from the Junior list so confused on that one.

goape.co.uk/junior

whatever5 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:34:10

They all seem to have different restrictions. 13 year old dd couldn't go to the one in Forest Segway as she weighs under the the minimum weight (7 stone).

whatever5 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:35:48

Should have said the "Forest Segway experience" in Cumbria.

MillionToOneChances Mon 10-Nov-14 23:42:27

Mushy, we were meant to go in half term in lieu of going on holiday (!!) but my moral support friend could only come on one day and it was pouring with rain. Rain+high ropes=extra scary.

MillionToOneChances Mon 17-Nov-14 11:53:02

We went to the height-limited one. We survived, but it was blinking hard! Very glad we stuck to one we were legally allowed to be at. My DS and I just did the lower adult circuit, my DD went up to the higher loop with my friends.

Incidentally, I'm not sure I'd recommend Aerial Extreme - lots of bits of the course seemed to be badly worn and taped together with gaffa tape, which was a little unnerving. I landed hard from the drop at the end and hit my coccyx, elbow and head because it's set up to a standard amount of resistance and although I'm well within their weight limit I landed a lot faster than my DC without any warning from staff. I warned the adults I was with.

Go Ape next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now