Talk

Advanced search

To think this is suspicious

(31 Posts)
BeeRayKay Mon 10-Nov-14 08:12:18

Last night I went to log on to Hubby's fb, using a password I remembered from ages ago on the chance it would work. I was trying to Log on to see who he messaged to invite them to his surprise 30th birthday party. The password worked (I was surprised) but then a screen told me cause I was logging on fro! a new device I had to enter the security code from a text fb had sent. I couldn't get that as I don't go near his phone. so he knows I or someone tried to log on, I saw him get the text. it was only about 9pm

So this morning whilst he is in bed asleep, I decided to use the study computer cause he uses fb on that all the time. this time the !message "you've tried to use a password that was changed at 741am" so basically I got up and left him sleeping and before I had gotten downstairs he had changed his password.

am I being over rely suspicious?

ChristmasYoni Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:00

Yes I think you are. Someone tried to log in to his account, he had no idea who, so she changed the password so they couldn't access it again. Sensible thing to do imo.

ChristmasYoni Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:23

He***not she!

ineedausername Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:42

I don't understan why you are being suspicious?
I sleep with my phone beside me, if it had beeped saying someone was trying to hack my Facebook i would change the password straight away, it takes 2 seconds.
Why not just ask him who he invited?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 10-Nov-14 08:15:57

I think changing your password is a reasonable response to someone trying to hack your fb account.

yellowdinosauragain Mon 10-Nov-14 08:16:18

Exactly what Christmas says

SaucyJackOLantern Mon 10-Nov-14 08:18:11

I think you trying to log in to his account without telling him is far dodgier meself.

avocadotoast Mon 10-Nov-14 08:18:16

Er yeah, if someone tried to get into my facebook account I'd be changing the account straight off. I'd also be mightily pissed off if it had been my partner, regardless of the reason.

Idontseeanysontarans Mon 10-Nov-14 08:18:19

The text message you get when you log ini FB from a different machine doesn't tell you exactly where the log on came from, so it doesn't say 'a new log in from XX ipad' for example, just that someone has tried to log in. He won't know who did it. I would have changed my password too in that instance.

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 10-Nov-14 08:20:18

Who else would know his password though? Surely only you and him, so it must have been you trying to log in, so surely, yes, he's changed it so that you can't log into it.

However, whether he's actually hiding something or not, who knows. I'd hate anyone else to think they could log into mine (if I had FB, which I don't), it's an invasion of privacy.

I'd still be suspicious though, see if he mentions it...

BeeRayKay Mon 10-Nov-14 08:20:53

But why not change it immediately? I would have. I wouldn't wait until the next morning.

its me who is arranging the party. he doesn't know about it. but I have limited numbers and I know he prefers some of his uni people to others.

fluffyraggies Mon 10-Nov-14 08:21:37

Perhaps he just changed it when he got up to go to the loo and remembered the text?

All he knows is he got a text last night saying 'someone is trying to get on your FB account'. He probably forgot about it till this morning then changed his password.

TBH if he had a guilty conscious and anything to hide he'd have changed the password straight away at 9pm last night when he got the text i would have thought.

AnyFucker Mon 10-Nov-14 08:22:03

Not sure who is the dodgier here....

And how can his party be a surprise if he is inviting people to it confused

fluffyraggies Mon 10-Nov-14 08:24:31

AF i thought that but when you re-read OP it means she was seeing who he messaged so she could invite them. smile

i think.

BeeRayKay Mon 10-Nov-14 08:25:09

yes that's it exaclty

MsJupiter Mon 10-Nov-14 08:26:52

I think the OP means she wanted to check who he was in touch with, so that she could invite them.

MsJupiter Mon 10-Nov-14 08:27:16

xpost

cherry219 Mon 10-Nov-14 08:30:08

My phone tells me the postcode a log in attempt was made from, just FYI...

yellowdinosauragain Mon 10-Nov-14 08:31:58

I think you'd be far better off engineering a conversation about who his close friends are and isn't it funny it's often not the ones you thought it would be at the time etc.

If you relied on fb messages for me you'd miss one of my closest friends who isn't even on fb. Another couple of close friends are on fb but I text / call instead so you wouldn't see any messages. And you'd end up inviting an ex work colleague who I'm not close to at all but have amusing banter with.

Monathevampire1 Mon 10-Nov-14 08:33:13

You were checking up on who he'd invited to his surprise party?

AnyFucker Mon 10-Nov-14 08:33:53

Oh.

What a bloody palaver. Don't partners know who is generally in contact with who ?

Op, I don't think I really believe your reasoning behind hacking his FB account

SmokingGun Mon 10-Nov-14 08:35:49

I get loads of spam Facebook emails saying I need to change my password, etc. I completly ignore them (as I probably would any texts that came through) so would probably only notice that it was a genuine email when I next went to log in. Then I would change my password.

NaiceNickname Mon 10-Nov-14 09:18:14

I thought that too, AF. Surely there are easier ways than hacking his Facebook to see who he is still in contact with. A conversation, maybe?

"Oh remember such and such from Uni, do you still speak to them? No? Oh, who are you still in touch with then? Nice that you're all still in touch isn't it?" Blah blah.

Hacking his FB to see who he messages really is a last resort option, and I message people all the time who I wouldn't necessarily want invited to my big surprise birthday so isn't really foolproof either IMO.

You sure you don't just fancy having a nose at who he speaks to so much? Especially if you're now thinking him changing his password is suspicious after finding out someone was trying to get into his account.

DialsMavis Mon 10-Nov-14 10:01:47

I wouldn't log into my DPs Facebook account and look at his private messages (unless I was suspicious about an affair or something). I would change my password if I had that security notification.... But if I was in the house with DP I would tell him that someone was trying to hack my account & show him the message, because it's something strange and out of ordinary and we tell each other things like that.

youareallbonkers Mon 10-Nov-14 11:01:56

What nonsense, why did you really try to log in OP? Just look at his friends list and you don't need to be logged in for that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now