Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if it is easy to be scammed when selling internationally on ebay

(4 Posts)
NorwegianBirdhouse Mon 10-Nov-14 00:29:49

Hi,

I would be very grateful for any advice as I think I am being naive. I am in the UK and bought a coat last week on eBay. It was too neat so to try to recoup most of what I paid I put it back on as a buy it now for £60 free P&P expecting to wait a while as there are identical and similar coats on with low bids. The very next day I received a message from a woman in France saying she has been searching for weeks and what a great bargain it is and she would pay the postage if I sent it. I replied that I would put an international postage option on. She ordered and said it was to be ‘sent to her partner as it is her Christmas present.’ Why do this if you have picked and paid for it yourself?

I don't fully understand Paypal protection on international sales but it does state item must be mailed to the address on the transaction details. If the address on the transaction details is her partners then it must not be her address so if they claimed they never received the coat, would I have no protection and have to refund them? I am due to post it tomorrow but think I need to check if this is likely to be a scam. Thank you for any advice.

Chrissy41 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:36:23

send to the address paypal provide and send with online proof of delivery. And limit buyers from abroad if you only want to sell within the uk.

ImTheOneThatKnocks Mon 10-Nov-14 00:40:29

You have to send it to her registered address. If she doesn't want to then I would ask her to do a mutual cancellation (so you don't loose your eBay fees) make sure you only communicate through eBay.
Then I would resist it. Personally, I would restrict my buyers to the UK only.

NorwegianBirdhouse Mon 10-Nov-14 08:43:41

Thank you both for your advice. I think I will check out the safest postal options to make sure its tracked and signed for. I appreciate you taking the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now