Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to get upset about no photos?

(46 Posts)
Loopylala7 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:09:52

I quite like taking photos, and whenever there is a wedding/new baby/party etc I try to take photos to share with the person celebrating. Usually the person I give the pictures to has been really happy to receive them as they were soo busy they didn't have much opportunity to take photos themselves. I'm happy to do it as I like to make others happy. However, recently its been getting me down a bit that nobody appears to reciprocate. I realise they might no be so interested in taking pictures, but, in the time I've become a mother to 2 children, very few people have actually said to me, can I take a photo of you with DC (as in with my tiny, not very technical camera). I have even had to have a conversation with DH to ask if he will take a photo, as that is how few there are. I keep worrying they'll grow up, and there won't be any pictures of me doing family stuff with them, as none ever seems to offer. I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't bother offering to take photos for other people, but then I feel guilty and do it anyway. Sometimes I think maybe they don't do it because they don't like me. AIBU?

ZivaMcGee Mon 10-Nov-14 00:14:18

Do you offer to take the photos for others? If so you could say "can you return the favour and get one of me and my kids." Or just ask someone. Most people don't mind.

saintsandpoets Mon 10-Nov-14 00:14:18

Yabu. You have to ask people to take them!

KoalaDownUnder Mon 10-Nov-14 00:16:12

Yes, just ask.

I would be more than happy to oblige if someone asked me. It probably wouldn't occur to me to offer, though, as I hate having my own photo taken!

BOFster Mon 10-Nov-14 00:17:30

I don't think I've ever heard of people eager to take photos of other families. You obviously are, and I'm not saying you're weird, but generally people take pics of their own families.

Firbolg Mon 10-Nov-14 00:18:16

Ask them! It would never occur to me in a hundred years that someone wanted me to take their camera and take photographs of them at their event, as I would assume they/another family member would have arranged to take any photographs they wanted.

You sound more fixated on photographs than most, to be fair, and friends won't know you want photographs of you unless you ask them. I certainly don't have photographs of even close friends 'doing things with their children'...? Then again, you're talking to the wrong person, as we didn't even have any wedding photographs, not even a couple of casual snaps...

Krytes42 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:18:47

Ask if you want photos taken!

QTPie Mon 10-Nov-14 00:19:02

Have you tried asking people to take photos?

Don't think it is personal or on purpose, sometimes people just get caught up and don't think...

You sound like a very thoughtful, considerate person, but most often people don't tend to be as considerate as you. This is my conclusion, anyway (I am always over-considerate to others, bit hand to remind myself not to expect the same back). It doesn't mean that they don't like me (or in your case, you), just that they don't have the same levels of consideration.

So manage your expectations, don't wait for people to offer, start asking.

CoolStoryBro Mon 10-Nov-14 00:19:39

Always the photographer, never the photo. It's the Facebook curse...

scurryfunge Mon 10-Nov-14 00:19:40

Personally, I don't get why people need a photographic record of every minute of their lives. There are very few photos of us growing up ( 60's/70's/80's) and we still exist as humans.

Loopylala7 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:24:04

That does include family members not offering BOFster. They always want copies of mine though. Especially PIL wanting photos of themselves with GC. They never actually took one single photo of me with my DC as a newborn, but took plenty with SIL holding the baby which really hurt my feelings.

I'm not saying I want hundreds of pictures, but I would like a few for some memories that's all.

QTPie Mon 10-Nov-14 00:25:28

Then ask.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 10-Nov-14 00:26:48

If you enjoy taking pictures and appreciate the pleasure that it can give it's probably really difficult to understand why other people don't.

But accept that they don't understand or have the confidence to offer and ask. They may learn smile

Whoch reminds me to send some pics to my friends. ..

Bogeyface Mon 10-Nov-14 00:27:26

I realised just how few there are of me recently as I am the "taker" and that means that there are no pictures that the kids can look back on of them with me when I am gone. Have determined to rectify it by asking people to take them, its the only way!

Loopylala7 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:37:42

QTpie, I think you have a point about being over considerate. I think I seriously need to quash my expectation levels and ask. I also think I need to stop taking so many. The amount of times people have joked about me taking too many pictures, then as soon as they're processed they all want to look through and reminisce, and inevitably asked if they can get copies. Just going to have to reign it in I guess. Especially if people think I'm being weird BOFoster! never occurred to me. I just enjoy photography that's all.

paxtecum Mon 10-Nov-14 06:34:43

I'm always the photographer, so very few photos of me.

Just ask people, don't wait until you are an OAP (like me).

Willabywallaby Mon 10-Nov-14 06:39:06

Definitely start asking.

Mehitabel6 Mon 10-Nov-14 07:07:30

Ask! I would never volunteer, but often take one if asked. If I want one taken of me then I ask someone.

WipsGlitter Mon 10-Nov-14 07:22:47

You need to ask. Is this about something other than the photos though? About how people value "you" in general?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 10-Nov-14 07:52:38

Just ask but don't spend your while life being in or taking photos.

Shelby2010 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:22:07

And when someone else does take a photo of you they never seem to care whether they have your 'good side'...! DH only seems to aquire the ability to take spontaneous photos when I'm still in my dressing gown & look a right slob. As a result my phone has a collection of 'selfies' of me & the kids, not to Facebook or anything, just for fun to look back at.

Boomtownsurprise Mon 10-Nov-14 09:25:48

So presume most of mates have own kids then right? If you like taking pics lovely! Fab knock yourself out. Just don't assume I necessarily want to take photos of you. I'm probably too busy keeping an eye on my kids. And if I want a photo that I can't take on my phone Id ask.

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Mon 10-Nov-14 09:39:02

I'm with you, there are very few photos of me when my dcs were little, although XH managed to take several from every angle of every car and motorbike he ever owned. The ones from our honeymoon are mainly palm trees and lovely landscapes and when he did take one of me he was happy with just one, regardless of whether my eyes were shut or I had a double chin etc!

It didn't help that XH didn't like having photos taken of himself so didn't expect that I would either.

I've since learned to ask my now DP to take photos of me and my dcs and he obliges as he likes me taking pics of himself and his dcs too. We even set the timer to get us all in sometimes or swap photographers to make sure that there is always someone different missing from the group.

Just ask people, if they think you're vain or weird for wanting your kids to look back and see you having fun and being loving with them, fuck em!

MrsPiggie Mon 10-Nov-14 09:50:18

Of course you've got to ask! I wouldn't dream of just getting my camera out and taking photos of other people with their children. The only time I ever do that is at presents opening time on Christmas day. I don't like people taking photos of me without warning either - I don't mind having my photo taken as such, but nowadays people are obsessed with posting every shitty snap on Facebook and that I do mind. So if I want a photo of myself, I ask. If I am asked, I take photos.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Mon 10-Nov-14 10:03:21

It's the selfie generation now, start taking photos of yourself and your kids. You can even get 'selfie sticks' to take them from a distance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now