Talk

Advanced search

To think that people should have to pay to licence if they want to watch BBCi player.

(87 Posts)
PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 09-Nov-14 22:33:31

people who,pay to licence are funding the programmes to be made. I don't think that people who don't watch live TV should be able to watch the same programme sometimes just hours after for free.

It cost to run the BBCi player so should people who want to watch BBCi programmes on iplayer have to buy a to licence.

pissinmy2shoes Sun 09-Nov-14 22:34:14

yanbu

makeminea6x Sun 09-Nov-14 22:36:01

YANBU. I don't have a licence and watch iPlayer instead but it does seem unfair to me. I honestly don't know why anyone wants to bother with live TV. I can't keep up with everything I want to watch!

Snapespotions Sun 09-Nov-14 22:36:15

Yanbu. How many of us actually watch live TV these days anyway?

I can see it's difficult with the internet, though. Presumably iplayer can be accessed from overseas?

Cataline Sun 09-Nov-14 22:36:48

I'm sure there is a message/disclaimer type thing on iplayer that states it is subject to the same regulations as a tv and therefore you have to have a licence to watch it. How anyone would actually police this, I have no idea!

marleymooo Sun 09-Nov-14 22:37:22

I thought they did?!! As in if you have a device capable of using iplayer you must have one? Could be wrong though.

mausmaus Sun 09-Nov-14 22:37:39

yanbu

Snapespotions Sun 09-Nov-14 22:38:49

I stand corrected - apparently you can't watch iplayer for free overseas after all.

Perhaps there should be some sort of log-in for those who have paid the license fee?

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 09-Nov-14 22:40:05

iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/tvlicence

No don't need a to licence for iplayer

ReallyTired Sun 09-Nov-14 22:40:13

I thought it was already the case that people had to pay a TV licence before they watched bbc Iplayer. I think the issue is enforcement.

Maybe people with a TV licence should have a username and password to access TV. Even then I am not sure how you counter act people simply sharing their passwords.

How many people don't own a TV and simply use Iplayer? Illegal TV license use could be counteracted if broadband companies had to submit a list of people who had accessed BBC iplayer. Would the cost of enforcement be more than the money saved.

It costs money to run the BBC website. Should people without a licence be able to access all the videos and information on there?

fredfredgeorgejnr Sun 09-Nov-14 22:40:38

As long as you don't watch live content on iPlayer, you don't need a licence, the disclaimer is there on live, but not on catch up, as that is fine without a licence. That's the way the law is written, I think it's fine.

iPlayer can not be accessed from overseas.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 09-Nov-14 22:41:21

Y.N.B.U, But at the risk of being flamed why do you give such a shit.

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Nov-14 22:43:06

Would be easier to do a subscription service. You want it you pay for it. Your tv provider unscrambles the channel and online you have a pin to enter.
Win win. The Beeb fans can watch beeb and the rest of us can be left alone.

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 09-Nov-14 22:43:44

Just paid by tv licence renewal online, £145.

It just got me thinking.

PixieofCatan Sun 09-Nov-14 22:44:35

It wouldn't really make that much of a difference though. Such a small percentage of people don't have TV licenses that even if those who watched BBC's online streaming service paid it the amount would be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I don't have a license. The only streaming service I use these days is Netflix and I pay for that. If something came up on BBC's streaming thing that I wanted to watch I'd rather go without than pay for a full license to watch one show.

I'm on the fence as to whether your idea is U or NU, but I don't think it'd be worth it financially.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Sun 09-Nov-14 22:50:51

Hah! I am the world's most law abiding person and I can state categorically that you do not need a licence to watch iPlayer. You need a licence to watch programmes as they are being broadcast on TV.

I am therefore not dodging enforcement. hmm

Archfarchnad Sun 09-Nov-14 22:55:38

"iPlayer can not be accessed from overseas."

Well it can, just not necessarily in a very orthodox manner. The BBC knows exactly what's going on but chooses to ignore it, very sensibly. It's not like expats are deliberately avoiding buying a licence.

A few years ago Germany introduced a law that every household has to have a TV licence, whether they have a TV set or not. In fact, even before that the law was that simply possessing any device capable of receiving a TV signal, including a computer, was enough to make a licence necessary. Low-income people and those with a severe disability can apply for an exemption, but without being granted one you need the licence. And the quality of TV on offer is nowhere near as good as that in the UK.

Your tablet/phone, whatever, has a weird auto-correct foible of writing 'to licence' every time. I've just worked out it's supposed to be TV licence.

cricketballs Sun 09-Nov-14 22:57:00

I brought up this on a thread on chat this morning! TV licence payers fund the production of BBC programmes so to watch but not pay maybe legal but not right

StardustBikini Sun 09-Nov-14 22:57:38

Only 5% of the license fee is spent on online services.

www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whoweare/licencefee/

PixieofCatan Sun 09-Nov-14 23:00:03

It'd be really easy to bypass a provider working out what sites you use so the provider providing a list of people who use iPlayer wouldn't work.

Making people use a password wouldn't work either, as people would just download content and upload it to sites like piratebay, which are easily accessible even with the service provider blocking them.

The TV Licensing people themselves say that 96% of households have a TV. So pursuing those of the 4% who watch iPlayer would be nonsensical.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sun 09-Nov-14 23:16:52

*"iPlayer can not be accessed from overseas."

Well it can, just not necessarily in a very orthodox manner*

Depends what you mean, the actual accessing of iPlayer is still being done in the UK, you're just then re-delivering it overseas. The ability to prevent this is pretty much the same as preventing someone from videoing the tv and putting the tape in the mail. So it's not really ignoring it, there just aren't the mechanisms to do it.

wreckingball Mon 10-Nov-14 00:23:55

Wah wah wah.

And I have a license for the idiots lantern and we rarely watch the bloody thing.
Why do you even care?

wreckingball Mon 10-Nov-14 00:25:10

Someone else can watch the stuff that I don't watch but pay for nonetheless.
I don't care, I hope they enjoy it.

Hazchem Mon 10-Nov-14 00:54:11

Or you could simply scrap the license fee all together and just have funding come out of the regular tax pool doing away with the need for collection, adds for collection, enforcement officers, etc etc.

Andrewofgg Mon 10-Nov-14 00:55:21

Archfarchnad Germany also has a system for putting a levy on recording equipment in case you use it to infringe copyright so there's two ideas we need not import from there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now