Talk

Advanced search

To keep ds off school tomorrow?

(25 Posts)
Biggamehunter Sun 09-Nov-14 22:04:37

He's 5 and in year 1, no time off so far.
He's had a high temperature all weekend and been really lethargic. He's spent two days on the sofa, I did take him out for some fresh air today but after about half an hour he complained he was too tired to walk. His throat is sore and his stomach hurts (glands maybe?) and he has hardly eaten anything since Friday because his throat is too sore.

However happily he perked up quite a bit late this afternoon and his temperature has dropped down to normal. He's been a bit bouncier and has had something to eat. Dh thinks he should go in to school tomorrow. I think he should probably have another day to get over it, plus they've got some sort of special pe thing in the morning, all morning, which usually ds would love but he's so tired I'm not sure it'll do him any good.

Aibu?

WorraLiberty Sun 09-Nov-14 22:06:03

I think you should see how he feels in the morning.

Hope he feels better soon either way thanks

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 09-Nov-14 22:06:53

At that age if you can I think its good to give 24 hours temp free as they have a habit of seeming all better then crashing again a few hours later.

Guitargirl Sun 09-Nov-14 22:07:16

I would wait and see how he is in the morning. He might be right as rain after a good night's sleep.

Passthewineandchocolate Sun 09-Nov-14 22:07:51

I'd see how he is in the morning and you'll know. If he still isn't himself keep him off a day to rest.

5madthings Sun 09-Nov-14 22:08:05

I would see how he is in the morning. Kids often bounce back quickly He may be fine.

Vanillepudding Sun 09-Nov-14 22:12:57

We have a 24 hours temp free rule here too.
Temperature until lunchtime means no school the next day.

He'll be worn out by normal school stuff, never mind being expected to run around for hours.

WorraLiberty Sun 09-Nov-14 22:15:56

Do you know, I have 3 kids and have never owned a thermometer? blush

My parents had 5 and never owned one either.

I have no idea why though confused

5madthings Sun 09-Nov-14 22:17:26

worra I don't have a thermometer either! I go by feeling them!

Purplepoodle Sun 09-Nov-14 22:18:41

See how he feels in the morning

CurlyWurlyCake Sun 09-Nov-14 22:27:34

I've also never owned a thermometer and have 3 DC.

I would keep him home tomorrow, he will be fine at home and get a good rest but may not be able to do a full day at school.

waithorse Sun 09-Nov-14 22:30:45

I'd keep him home. Nice rest day would hopefully set him up for the rest of the week.

SexualBernieClifton Sun 09-Nov-14 22:31:53

surely temperature free means very very cold? like dead?

removes self to pedant's corner

Charley50 Sun 09-Nov-14 22:32:29

I have a thermometer but it always gives exactly the same temperature so I think it might be broken.

WorraLiberty Sun 09-Nov-14 22:33:15

Same here 5madthings

I'm afraid I'd read the number and start phoning my GP if it was really high, despite the fact said child might be absolutely fine otherwise grin

Rosa Sun 09-Nov-14 22:37:50

He is 5 FGS he has had a bit of fresh air after being ill for 2 days and complained after that of stomach pains and a sore throat. temp or no temp keep him off to build his strength up again.

WorraLiberty Sun 09-Nov-14 22:41:10

However happily he perked up quite a bit late this afternoon and his temperature has dropped down to normal. He's been a bit bouncier and has had something to eat.

If he happens to wake up still perky, bouncy, with no temperature and eating....what would be the point Rosa?

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 09-Nov-14 22:41:30

SexualBernieClifton Sun 09-Nov-14 22:31:53
surely temperature free means very very cold? like dead?

removes self to pedant's corner

How about you do it before being obnoxious next time?

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 09-Nov-14 22:42:03

Keep him home tomorrow.

Then make sure DH goes to work when he feels like death warmed up grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 09-Nov-14 22:43:02

Y,N.BU. If he's not well he'as not well, and he wont be in learning mode anyway.
Hope he's feeling better soon. Poor little lamb.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 09-Nov-14 22:47:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Notmeagain1 Sun 09-Nov-14 22:49:40

See how he is in the morning. Kids bounce back so much faster than some of us "older" ones.

I dont have a thermometer either (only one dc-16). I thought when you gave birth to your first child they implanted one in the mums palm. grin

theposterformallyknownas Sun 09-Nov-14 22:52:32

I would keep him home even if he does seem ok in the morning.
They can bounce for a while and then crash and a morning of PE after being ill might take it out of him again.
I say lots of puzzle books and comics with a bit of tv thrown in and his favourite food.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 09-Nov-14 22:53:26

I think I would keep him off to be honest and I teach year 1! how that's relevant I don't know

I do have a dd in year 1 and she gets really poorly very often, her school attendance was 87% at parents eve which I was a bit blush about but if they're ill there's not much you can do.

Sounds like he is starting to recover but a full on PE day planned for tomorrow, I wouldn't.

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 09-Nov-14 23:00:37

If he's been incubating a virus it might be better to keep him off, so he doesn't pass it on to the other children.

He might not have been vomiting or anything like that, but a rest will do him good anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now