Talk

Advanced search

Not to want to invite SIL and her husband for lunch again

(18 Posts)
Harrietsferrets Sun 09-Nov-14 21:04:27

Invited the inlaws for lunch. MIL was on her normal wander round ask about DIY plans, ignore repulse and tell us what should be done and how we should do it, this is find as we ignore her anyway but she never seems to notice. FIL sat behind his paper, again normal, BIL sulked in the corner as we had none of his favourite beer in, just some bottled ales. We ignored his sulking. SIL offered to help sort lunch ( lean against the side and criticise because she 'did catering for a summer' again bite tongue and ignore). My food processor is on the side in a box because I am getting rid as I want a different model and it's being collected by the buyer next week because it's for a birthday and I am hiding it for her. Twenty minute interrogation about why it's going, when it's going and what model i am changing to. She then moved onto a similar interrogation about the halogen cooker, going back for a swap as the handle broke.

Bite tongue, serve dinner, smile and see them off. Got back after dropping off parcel for friend to find I have missed my SIL's phone call to tell me I should give her both of the items we discussed as if I can afford to change processor then I don't need the money I'm selling it for and it's far too much hassle to exchange stuff but she needs it more than me anyway. It felt as if she had done an inventory of my kitchen and decided what she wanted.

Rant done.

starlight1234 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:07:09

OMG yes ...I suggest pub lunch next time.

Iactuallydothinkso Sun 09-Nov-14 21:07:16

Blimey! That's not a good way to spend a Sunday! Bloody hope they at least thanked you for the meal!

I shouldn't bother inviting them again.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 09-Nov-14 21:08:14

YANBU. I wouldn't give her the pickings of my nose

Sparkletastic Sun 09-Nov-14 21:08:20

Stop biting tongue and start biting back.

zeezeek Sun 09-Nov-14 21:08:37

Bloody hell! They sound awful. How did you manage to get through lunch without slapping the lot of them?

carlsonrichards Sun 09-Nov-14 21:13:45

Erm, tell her no, you cannot have it.

Mintyy Sun 09-Nov-14 21:20:09

So, to cut long story short, your sil asked if she could have the kitchen item you are planning to sell?

Just reply "sorry SIL but it is worth a few pounds and we can't afford to give it away for nothing".

Drama over.

NewEraNewMindset Sun 09-Nov-14 21:22:26

Some of the people that get posted about on here are surely out of a sitcom? I have never met such brass necked individuals in my life.

Your SIL rings you to tell you that she should receive your food processor and halogen oven as she is in need and you are not? Surely you are going to ring her and tell her to get twatted?

I can keep a civil tongue in my head most days but if I got met with some of the outrageous demands that MNers seem to receive on a regular basis, I would be apoplectic with rage. Tell the to fuck the fuck off.

Harrietsferrets Sun 09-Nov-14 23:50:52

I had already agreed to sell the processor as the money is to go towards the new one I want, SIL rang me to tell me I should give it to her. This is the woman who on not being the centre of attention at my DS's baptism do informed everyone she felt dizzy and stood up to cross to the buffet. She collapsed so became the centre of attention again. She also informs anyone who will listen that she is 'ill in her mind' so needs to be looked after.

Had wine, had a bath and have refused to have them over for Xmas which is what she was angling for today with DH because she is ill it's not easy for her to cook. MIL rang later to talk about Easter holiday and where we are going too.

bloodyteenagers Mon 10-Nov-14 00:09:14

For Easter you are either going to an exclusive club in Negril(hedonism II) or an exclusive fantasy island resort. Let her think that. Hell let her book it in the Meantime you book a regular holiday and claim innocence saying yes you was thinking until you researched it.

The sil repeat that doesn't work for you. It's been sold. We are not hosting Christmas. We are not hosting Sunday. Want a Sunday get together isn't it your turn? Oh your not well, oh well, ok so we will set it up for xx date, see you then. Cannot wait to see what you have done to the place. Byee

Aeroflotgirl Mon 10-Nov-14 00:14:24

How rude and cheeky. No it's sold sorry! For easter we are going away.

Bogeyface Mon 10-Nov-14 00:18:27

I suggest that you say that you are having a "holiday at home", so either a) they book something (obviously trying to persuade you to join them, you say no) and then you find a "last minute" wink deal or b) they dont book anywhere, intending to muscle in on your day trips etc and then you find a "last minute" deal.

win win

What is your husbands view on how they behaved and the Xmas/easter issues?

ChippingInAutumnLover Mon 10-Nov-14 00:21:55

She's not wrong about one thing grin

I'd be an alcoholic if I had to deal with that lot on a regular basis.

I'll lend you my foot if you need another one to out down firmly when telling DH they will NOT be coming for Christmas.

Ignore her text. Completely.

BMW6 Mon 10-Nov-14 08:49:38

Do not bother to respond - she isn't worth your breath.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 10-Nov-14 08:51:35

NoArmani I choked on my morning cuppa at that comment grin

kissmethere Mon 10-Nov-14 12:17:03

Omg the sil!
You're great to have made it through the day. I wouldn't even respond to the text.
I hardly ever see my sil...much better for us all although dcs don't get to see their cousin. I've grinned and beared up so much over the years.

Harrietsferrets Mon 10-Nov-14 12:55:42

DH was informed if he invited them he would be doing dinner solo,
PIL are invite but they bring booze, nibbles, choc sand do the washing up.
I 'accidentally' managed to delete the answer phone message.
MIL seems to think we are taking the kids to Ibiza for holiday. Inlaws won't come with us as FIL isn't allowed to fly due to heart trouble and anywhere other than the UK has 'insects!' So MIL won't go there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now