Talk

Advanced search

to think that weekend prime time television on the main channels consists of watching people do stuff badly?

(11 Posts)
cruikshank Sun 09-Nov-14 20:19:36

I give you: X Factor. Bunch of amateurs doing karaoke turns, usually out of tune. For the most part, if they were in a pub band down at the local, you'd walk out when they came on. Or at least go to the lounge.

And then I give you: Strictly. Bunch of people who are billed as celebrities (although most of them are hardly household names even in their own households) dancing badly. Maybe getting slightly better as the weeks go by, but still not to a standard you'd want to pay money to see.

Fucking shite, isn't it? Why are we watching people do things badly?

ZingOfSeven Sun 09-Nov-14 20:26:29

umm I don't watch either.

instead I watch Gogglebox on Friday evenings - so I can watch people watching people.
very entertaining! grin

cruikshank Sun 09-Nov-14 20:28:15

Gogglebox is ace - really funny.

I don't watch either of them usually, but for one reason or another have seen both this weekend. And it occurred to me that I wouldn't pay to see these people in the local pub, so why are millions tuned in? All they are doing is singing and dancing really fucking badly.

cruikshank Sun 09-Nov-14 20:30:09

And then there's so-called 'Celebrity' (they are not) 'Masterchef' (they are not) - watching people cook really badly. I think it's quite boring watching people cooking anyway - I don't generally hang out in kitchens - but watching them do it to a worse standard than your average ready meal is a really weird way to spend your time, imo.

cruikshank Sun 09-Nov-14 20:30:59

Although Come Dine With Me is generally good telly, but that's because of Voiceover Man mainly.

wellnowthenmardybum Sun 09-Nov-14 20:45:19

Don't forger I'm a celeb, watching some soap actress eat a kangaroos anus

Trills Sun 09-Nov-14 20:55:18

Luckily there are lots of channels, and things like iPlayer exist.

quietbatperson Sun 09-Nov-14 20:57:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cruikshank Sun 09-Nov-14 20:58:47

Oh yeah, I know I don't have to watch it. I'm just baffled as to how come it's so popular to tune in specifically to view someone singing badly or dancing badly. I'm a celeb I can just about understand because they get humiliated - it's kind of like the modern version of bedlam.

Trills Mon 10-Nov-14 19:23:21

Maybe there's a correlation between bad taste and the ability to work iplayer?

The only people left watching TV "at the time or is on" have very bad taste.

cruikshank Mon 10-Nov-14 21:19:39

I just find it incredible that on both the main channels, that is all there is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now