Talk

Advanced search

To think that fireworks should be after Hallowe'en and before Remembrance Sunday?

(21 Posts)
CruCru Sun 09-Nov-14 19:31:31

I know that not everyone will be able to have fireworks on 5 November but it seems as though this has been going on for weeks.

LadySybilLikesCake Sun 09-Nov-14 19:32:46

It's the nupties setting them off who are to blame. They have been going off here tonight too [facepalm]

LuckyLopez Sun 09-Nov-14 19:33:45

Well they were also set off for Diwali. And that's before Halloween so YABU.

LineRunner Sun 09-Nov-14 19:35:46

Fuckers still setting them off now. Fucking knobs.

Cornettoninja Sun 09-Nov-14 19:36:49

I think that's fair re: bonfire night. Doesn't help with Diwali and Chinese New Year though.

I don't like hating them tbh but I really do when they vibrate through my sodding house.

I'd really like to see only weaker ones available for public sale and more public displays encouraged. At leas they're well advertised and you can prepare for them.

Bunbaker Sun 09-Nov-14 19:36:58

We don't have anyone near us who celebrates Diwali, so I agree with you. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone celebrating Diwali though.

The problem is when bonfire night falls midweek. DD and I went to a bonfire last Saturday and one last night.

LuckyLopez Sun 09-Nov-14 19:39:13

I genuinely don't get the hatred for them. Really some of your reactions are bizarre. I get they can be annoying but your blood pressure must be sky high feeling such hatred towards fireworks.

Boomtownsurprise Sun 09-Nov-14 19:41:49

Diwali you silly silly people.

Yay ukip reigns alright!

Bowlersarm Sun 09-Nov-14 19:44:12

No I don't agree. I think people are perfectly fine to have fireworks the weekend before or the weekend after 5th November.

RaisingMen Sun 09-Nov-14 19:44:27

LuckyLopez - im assuming you don't have babies or pets? it's no fun getting your child to sleep for the sixth time because the bangs woke him up and frightened him, again. Nor is it fun to see your dog so frightened that they're physically shaking.

LuckyLopez Sun 09-Nov-14 19:46:14

Yes I do have pets and youngest of my children is 4 now, meaning I had a decade of babies and toddlers in the house.

Bowlersarm Sun 09-Nov-14 19:46:29

I have a dog who doesn't like fireworks Raising and as much as I adore him, I don't think the world revolves around me and my dog.

RaisingMen Sun 09-Nov-14 19:49:07

Me neither Bowlers, but they have been going off here for almost two weeks now, and it's getting beyond a joke. It's obviously kids/teens that have bought them because they don't even start going off til 9.30/10pm. Unreasonable to be pissed off with it? I don't think so.

Bunbaker Sun 09-Nov-14 19:52:11

None of our close neighbours ever have fireworks. I have been aware of them going off elsewhere, but they aren't the nuisance to us that they seem to be for many posters on here.

I used to hate it when DD was a baby and people used to let off really loud fireworks at midnight on NYE.

ReallyTired Sun 09-Nov-14 19:57:28

I think you are being unreasonable as some years it has been really wet around bonfire night. In my experience the fireworks my neighbours have are pretty feeble. You need to go to the displays to see anything decent.

Cornettoninja Sun 09-Nov-14 20:02:25

Regardless of pets/wildlife/children/elderly I don't appreciate my house been shook randomly throughout the Diwali/bonfire night period.

There is no other noise that is acceptable to make at night that sends vibrations through neighbours houses streets distance away is there? Why are stupidly powerful explosives ok?

I wouldn't argue for a ban - that's UR, I would argue for limiting how powerful the explosives any random person off the street can buy and enforcing it.

There are plenty of fireworks that don't involve massive bangs - it's just unnecessary. If you wouldn't like it going on at 5am next to your bedroom window for a month every year it's probably a safe bet that you should consider it intrusive and inconsiderate.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 20:21:13

I really don't understand the issue with fireworks on here.

I don't even like them that much personally as enjoy them but don't care if other people want to let them off.

Bar for Diwali all the fireworks have been let off at reasonable times.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 20:21:35

*reasonable times where I live.

ReallyTired Sun 09-Nov-14 20:52:59

I wonder where people get these really powerful fire works. Do they buy them off the internet? Fireworks available locally from shops have all been pretty feeble.

"There are plenty of fireworks that don't involve massive bangs - it's just unnecessary. If you wouldn't like it going on at 5am next to your bedroom window for a month every year it's probably a safe bet that you should consider it intrusive and inconsiderate."

Its already illegal to let fireworks off at 5am. I suppose the problem is enforcement. I am lucky that my neighbours have all been reasonable. The packet of fireworks I have says that "fireworks can be let off between 7am and 11pm any day of the year and up to 1am on Bonfire night, Divali and New Years Eve."

Handwasher Sun 09-Nov-14 21:01:02

I think a weekend either side of a Bonfire night is reasonable as if it's during the week most people are going to have their party on a weekend. I do think there should be a rule on the strength of fireworks allowed and I'm also surprised at how selfish people are setting them off so late. It's dark by 6 so no need to wait until 10 to set them off!

CruCru Mon 10-Nov-14 15:57:12

I think that part of the reason I am so anti is that we are in a part of north London where everyone has tiny back gardens which are massively disproportionate to the height of the houses. If our neighbours have fireworks, it is really intrusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now