Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not give this woman a refund?

(42 Posts)
Misssss Sun 09-Nov-14 15:07:17

I need a little perspective here, I'm tired and I know I can be a little unreasonable on occasions so opinions gratefully received.

I sold a pair of new leather boots on a Facebook selling page just over two weeks ago. The boots were brand new with the £90 price label still attached. I sold them for £25 because they had a small amount of stitching (under 1cm) loose on the back heel. I explained this clearly on the advert.

Woman buys the boots and receives them with no complaint. I notice a few days later that she is selling the boots using my photos as apparently they're too big in the calf. She sold the boots to a new buyer

Today she sent me a message demanding that I refund her because of the disclosed loose stitching. The loose stitching has now increased, presumably because she and her new buyer have tried them on. Apparently her buyer has complained and she thinks it's up to me to refund. AIBU to tell her and her brass neck to do one?

Sunna Sun 09-Nov-14 15:08:48

Yup. Tell her to do one.

BolshierAyraStark Sun 09-Nov-14 15:09:53

Nope, think that would be totally reasonable.

WalkingInMemphis Sun 09-Nov-14 15:10:45

You buy as seen.

Her problem.

NewEraNewMindset Sun 09-Nov-14 15:11:49

Yup. Sold as seen, they have now been resold with her as the seller, nothing you can do. If she complains to the admin of the group I am sure they would side with you. If she starts kicking off then make a complaint against her and get her kicked off the group. She sounds mental.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Nov-14 15:12:11

Nope, YANBU. She bought them as described and with no immediate complaint. What has happened in the interim is nothing to do with you.

NewEraNewMindset Sun 09-Nov-14 15:14:08

You might also want to suggest a cobbler. They restitch leather boots and if that's the only issue it really is easily resolvable if you're not a moron

fluffymouse Sun 09-Nov-14 15:22:39

She bought cash in hand I take it?

Then sold as seen.

Misssss Sun 09-Nov-14 16:07:01

Thanks, she paid with paypal, I reckon I'll have a claim heading my way. The admin on the group sent a very non committal response, I don't think she's willing to take sides. Glad to have my opinion validated!

carlsonrichards Sun 09-Nov-14 16:09:16

I'd tell her to stick it.

bigbluestars Sun 09-Nov-14 16:15:54

I would ask ebay to sort this out. Give them a phone. The fact that she attempted to sell them on shows she must have accepted the item from you.

ScarletFever Sun 09-Nov-14 16:29:07

lol - eBay wont care as it was on Facebook

:-)

Tell her, she was fine to try and sell them on, and its her own fault that she didnt want them. You clearly put on the ad that they were damaged, and pointed out the actual damage....

in other words, tell her to sod off

skylark2 Sun 09-Nov-14 16:37:44

If she's sold the goods on to a third party, I don't think she has a leg to stand on given that your initial description described the damage to the stitching.

bigbluestars Sun 09-Nov-14 16:37:52

Sorry- misread-

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 09-Nov-14 16:40:19

No refund. The fault was clearly described in the listing. Make sure you have a copy of original listing as you will need proof for PayPal.

Scram Sun 09-Nov-14 17:26:22

in future either insist on cash payment or use gumtree. ebay and paypal seem to think the warranty part of SOGA applies to private sales!

NewEraNewMindset Sun 09-Nov-14 17:29:50

Hate to say it but in my experience of Paypal they will refund her.

iwanttogotothechaletschool Sun 09-Nov-14 17:41:22

Take screenshots of your Facebook advert detailing the loose stitching, also her advert selling them on in case you need proof if she opens a claim against you.

Aeroflotgirl Sun 09-Nov-14 17:44:40

She is pulling the wool over your eyes, and taking the piss.

NannyNim Sun 09-Nov-14 18:52:59

You don't get the boots back. She doesn't get a refund.
She sold them on because they didn't fit so why is she now wanting the money back?

carlsonrichards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:54:54

This is why I NEVER accept anything but cash for private sales.

WienerDiva Sun 09-Nov-14 18:55:21

You can only give her a refund if you receive the faulty goods back. Otherwise she can jog on.

starlight1234 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:25:04

I agree she accepted them and wanted to sell them on.. I stopped selling on ebay for the reason of complaints. I only sell for cash on FB..

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:30:04

scarletfever this has nothing whatsoever to do with ebay. Ebay and Paypal are two completely separate companies.

Depending what complaint she files through Paypal she could get a refund. If she goes for item not received she's got you. You took Paypal for a collection item, you have no protection at all. Yes, you can prove though photos and the fact that she is reselling that she had the boots, but Paypal won't take that as proof. The only thing they will take as proof in a not received case is tracking with a recognised postal service.

If she goes for goods not as described or faulty then before you have to refund she needs to return the boots to you, by a recognised, tracked service. You have every right to insist on this.

Never accept paypal for collection items, be they through selling pages or ebay. You have no protection.

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 19:31:03

Apologies scarletfever, I meant big Blue Stars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now