Talk

Advanced search

To hate Sunday roast dinners.....

(219 Posts)
Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 15:03:30

It's not Sunday big family dinners I hate. It's specifically roast dinners.

Firstly every single time we have one (or I eat one somewhere else) I'm ill afterwards. I have no idea what it is but some part of it sets off an upset stomach followed by days of cramps. I'm ok if I just eat the meat and a few veggies but frankly that's not the most exciting of dinners.

Then there's the stipulation of "roast rules", always in the evening not at lunchtime. Invariably being everybody is tired and the DC barely eat anything. Then there's the "at least 2 types of potato" rule (but preferably 3 - roast, new, mash) and "at least 5 types of veg". It's such a palaver.

Last week I cooked roast chicken with crunchy baked potatoes, ratatouille and nice bread - that to me was perfect. Low fuss, minimal clean up. But it's not classed as a proper roast here sad

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 15:05:04

3 tatties? 5 veg? What do you dish up in? The bath?

kentishgirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:06:03

Whoever is making up those 'rules' can cook the dinner then.

BolshierAyraStark Sun 09-Nov-14 15:07:19

YABU, Sunday roasts are lovely-the mistake you're making is listening to some bullshit 'rules'. Do what you want & if you get complaints point them in the direction of the kitchen...
The chicken dinner sounds lovely btw.

Cundtbake Sun 09-Nov-14 15:07:27

Yanbu I think they're overrated and usually really bland (or maybe that's just my dads cooking)

I do like a good roast potato though.

3 types of potato? 5 types of veg? Who the heck are you feeding?

hiddenhome Sun 09-Nov-14 15:08:15

We've just had roast chicken, mini baked potatoes, carrots, peas and sweetcorn. Frozen Yorkshire puddings. Dead quick and easy and that was a roast dinner to my way of thinking.

Anything more fancy than that is Christmas Dinner confused

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 09-Nov-14 15:08:16

Fuck the rules, if your cooking it, cook it how you want and if they dont like it, then they can starve.

MagratsHair Sun 09-Nov-14 15:10:23

smile I hate roasts too OP smile

Flabby horrible Yorkshire puddings, great slabs of meat & overcooked veggies with far too many potatoes involved. Tasteless turkey or nasty chewy chicken that sticks between your teeth.

I think its because my mother hated them too & didn't cook them when I was little so I haven't grown up with the tradition. But tell anybody you don't like roasts in RL & your instantly a pariah!

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sun 09-Nov-14 15:10:43

'Roast rules' bollocks to that!

I don't do two types of potato except on Christmas day because I can't be bothered. And I'll do as many veg as I can be bothered toosmile

And I prefer to eat it early evening cos if I have it around lunchtime it bloats the shit of me.

Artandco Sun 09-Nov-14 15:10:46

I love roasts.

I have never made one with x3 types of potatoes and x5 veg though...

We will have a roast this eve. Will be roast beef, roast potatoes, roast parsnips and red cabbage. The first three things all cook in one roast dish, the red cabbage in one pan.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 15:11:35

Never heard these rules before. I sometimes do mash plus roasts but just leave a few of the parboiled potatos in for a bit longer from the roasts. I generally do a few veg but they all bung in one pan and/ or i put a few root veg/ onion on a tray to roast then theres always microwave peas.

I do tend to go a bit overboard with cooking but if certain levels of food were expected ungraciously, I think I'd be serving up beans on toast and expecting gratitude before normal services resumed.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 09-Nov-14 15:11:39

That sounds miserable - cooking something you don't even enjoy and leaves you in pain afterwards ffs!

If someone doesn't like the way you cook, they can bloody well do it instead - please put your foot down.

With the tummy cramps and squits - it maybe the amount of fat that disagrees with you?

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 15:12:29

See that's it exactly, frozen roasties and yorkshires and a few veg and I would be fine but it bloody exhausts me on a Sunday evening to clear up after that lot. But apparently I'm a bad mother not to do a "proper" roast.

It's DHs rules, hence I've told him he can cook it today. Which means it will be at least an hour late and involve twice as many pans to clear up afterwards and a major sulk from him.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 09-Nov-14 15:12:50

Maybe it is all the potato that is causing you the upset?
Some people are sensitive to potato, such as people with IBS or Coeliacs.
So maybe stick to one type of potato, such as roast and substitute the mash with mashed sweet potato (might be easier on the tummy, and it is delish!) or mashed carrot and swede.
Another trigger ma be the Yorkshire pudding if you are sensitive to eggs at all. I am fine with most Yorkshire puddings, but the ones at Toby carvery give me stomach cramps - not sure if it is the egg content or how they cook them. Try a different brand or make your own and see if it improves.

I love a full roast chicken or beef dinner. It is one of the few meals I can still fully enjoy (can no longer eat fried foods, or spicy foods. Gosh I miss Curry Saturdays and fry up sundays!).
So I would try substituting my veggies around until I felt better. But ultimately if it makes you unwell YANBU to give it up.

Buscake Sun 09-Nov-14 15:12:52

Are you Irish? They love several types of potato as part of their roast. If you enjoy roast meat with potatoes and veg (quantities that YOU enjoy), then that's a roast. Stuff the others, if they complain then they can cook it!

bringbacksideburns Sun 09-Nov-14 15:14:33

Why do you have to cook so many different potatoes? Who tells you all this - the Food Police??

Because unless they cook it they should eat what they are given!

Janethegirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:16:07

5 veg only if you buy a bag of ready prepared, surely? Who can be arsed prepping 5 veg (unless you include the potatoes). I do prepare 2 types of potatoes as dh is not fond of roasties.

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 15:16:13

Hahaha yes he is indeed the food police.

I haven't eaten roast potatoes for years but never thought it might be ordinary potatoes that set me off.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 09-Nov-14 15:17:28

Just read about the demands. YANBU at all then!

DH cooks ours now. I used to do it, but I became unable to do all the work, so DH has started doing it. He is currently out shopping for the food, and he will cook it all when he returns. There will be veg I hate (sprouts) but he is welcome to them, as he makes sure I have plenty of yummy stuff.
Tell your DH he needs to step up and don his pinny!

Nomama Sun 09-Nov-14 15:17:32

Crikey... Meat, roasties, whatever veg we find, occasional Yorkshire pud (I make nice ones but hate them - which is sacrilege in my family).

This weekend we are having last week's beef stew with roasties and fresh greens, followed by rice pudding.

This too is a roast!

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 15:17:32

Actually I miscounted the veg this week. He wanted....Carrots, parsnips, Brussels, cabbage, peas, cauliflower cheese. So six.

readysteady Sun 09-Nov-14 15:19:08

I wonder if it's the oil in the roast potato?

Janethegirl Sun 09-Nov-14 15:19:21

Toast I'd suggest your dh gets off his arse grin

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 09-Nov-14 15:19:33

If he wants all that shit, tell him to get his arse down to a Toby Carvery and hope he gets explosive diarrhea after.

Toastandstrawberryjam Sun 09-Nov-14 15:19:46

I would just rather spend some nice time with the DC, dog walk maybe or watch a film together. And then eat chilli or casserole or something that I can enjoy without the faffing.

Instead it's hours of work for one meal. The DC do enjoy a roast but I quite often do them a quick one in the week that they enjoy just as much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now