Talk

Advanced search

to never sing along with God Save the Queen?

(294 Posts)
LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 12:28:41

The fact I never sing it comes up now and again and today was one of those times, at our local remembrance day parade. Right at the end the minister said 'and we'll now sing our national anthem'. I can't recall God Save the Queen being part of it,before but regardless I just stand and don't song. I don't make a big thing of it, I just don't sing.

Simiraly the Edinburgh tattoo it was sang, I stood alongside everyone but didn't sing.

I don't make a big fuss and thankfully I'm not at any events where it's sang

Dh says it's rude. I say she's not my queen, I wish her no ill but I will not sing that song.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 09-Nov-14 12:30:57

I stand but don't sing.

AesSedai Sun 09-Nov-14 12:31:52

You don't live in the UK then: "she's not my queen"?

vestandknickers Sun 09-Nov-14 12:32:55

Up to you I suppose. I don't suppose anyone else notices or cares whether you sing or not.

EatShitDezza Sun 09-Nov-14 12:33:17

I don't even know the words. Can't see me ever needing to know either

treaclesoda Sun 09-Nov-14 12:34:05

Aes I can think of one corner in particular of the UK where a lot of people would argue very strongly that whilst they may in fact live in the UK, the queen is very much not their queen.

RedButtonhole Sun 09-Nov-14 12:34:41

I never sing it. Mostly because I don't know the words.

I think that as long as you stand and remain respectful/don't make a fuss.

I don't pray at church services when I attend for school events, just bow my head and stay quiet.

Behoove Sun 09-Nov-14 12:37:17

I wouldn't dream of singing the anthem of another country (I include FoS in that as I don't like it's sentiment) I assume you feel the same about GSTQ.

Standing to show respect is the decent and mannerly thing to do so YANBU.

TheWhisperingDeath Sun 09-Nov-14 12:37:23

I don't sing it. I don't want to sing a national anthem about the monarch when I am anti-monarchy. I would sing a song about my homeland, but not a person.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 12:37:56

I live in the UK yes, always have. She's not my queen.

AesSedai Sun 09-Nov-14 12:38:37

What a lovely day to have an argument about our Monarch.

SophiaPetrillo Sun 09-Nov-14 12:39:59

Aw, I love old Queen Liz, not sure what she's being "saved" from but agree that God's the best guy to do it.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 12:40:46

Assuming you are in the UK and born in the UK, she is your Queen.

If you have republican sensibilities that are offended by the monarchy then she's still your Queen..you just don't want her to be.

I'll sing God Save the Queen for British events but for all others I sing the Welsh national anthem.

FluffyMcnuffy Sun 09-Nov-14 12:43:02

If you live in the UK and are a British citizen then yes she is your Queen hmm.

If you object to that and don't wish to sing the national anthem that's fine YANBU a.

HappyAgainOneDay Sun 09-Nov-14 12:43:58

I do sing God Save the queen quietly because I can't sing but I would prefer to have Land of Hope and Glory. It's such stirring music. Yes, change a few words but it's a rousing 'get-together sort of song.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 12:46:29

Nope, still not my Queen! I have no need for a Queen.

Bunbaker Sun 09-Nov-14 12:47:36

I agree with Fluffy. I don't care whether you sing it or not, but if you are British and live here then she is your queen.

I don't like our national anthem. It is dreary and not relevant to most people, but I am patriotic, it is our national anthem and I do know the words (as I have sung it countless times at church parade as a brownie and a guide), so I will sing it when required.

Rosa Sun 09-Nov-14 12:48:40

I don't live in the UK yet i am a British Citizen, proud to be one and proud to sing the national anthem....at least it means something. You can opt out of whatever religion you want and as far as I can see it the anthem and the Queen comes with being British.

MiaowTheCat Sun 09-Nov-14 12:49:59

I don't sing it - I'll stand quietly and respect those that want to sing it - but I don't... I'm an atheist (so don't like the "God save" bit) and a republican (so not keen on "the Queen") bit... plus it's just an eargratingly awful bloody tune (strike 3).

Guide leader used to be well aware (and we kind of had an agreement where she wouldn't make an issue if I wouldn't) that I'd cross my fingers behind my back when it came to those parts of the (before it got re-done) promise as well... I decided on those kind of beliefs fairly young.

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 12:50:05

What does it mean Rosa?

WerewolfBarMitzvah Sun 09-Nov-14 12:50:30

I don't sing because I don't know the words and it's a bit of a dirge.
Luckily the thought police haven't prosecuted me yet.

Sarkymare Sun 09-Nov-14 12:51:24

Land of hope and glory should be out national anthem. I don't have anything against the queen, but I do think that when we sing our anthem we should be singing about how wonderful our country is. Not just how amazing the queen is.

I like Americas national anthem. Hand over their heart and truly singing about how much they love their country

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Sun 09-Nov-14 12:51:33

Miaow that sounds like me! I remember it coming up in guides which was awkward as my grandmother was the leader!

AesSedai Sun 09-Nov-14 12:51:52

I have no need for a Queen. - you'd be a lot worse off under a Dictator confused

Andrewofgg Sun 09-Nov-14 12:51:54

I like the verse you never hear. Not the one about crushing rebellious Scots, this one:

O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall.
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix -
God save us all!

It's interesting that most national anthems are in march time. Only Britain and America (and Liechtenstein which uses the tune of GSTQ) have theirs in 3/4 - waltz time.

On a related subject, was anybody else pleased (or displeased) to see the Irish Ambassador for the first time lay a wreath (green,not poppies) on the Cenotaph in memory of the Irish dead of both World Wars and indeed subsequent wars?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now