Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with the school (again!)

(203 Posts)
extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 10:50:54

Ds1&2 (ds2 has ASD) attend after school club 2 days a week while I attend college. My third day at college is a half day so technically I don't need to use after school club but I asked the school if they would be happy to take the dc's on the third day as well to give me more time to use the library/facilities at the college & get my work done. They agreed, and even managed to find another person who would do the third day as ds2's usual 1:1 couldn't (or didn't want to) do the third day.

Went to pick them up last week and they have now told me they have had a 'management meeting' and they are refusing to take them on the third day. They have also refused to take them on one additional day next week which I requested as a one off (and will pay for as extra ) as I am booked in to do a one day course which will enable me to drive a bike and dramatically reduce my travelling time between college & home.

They didn't actually give a reason why, just that it was a 'management decision'.

They have also said that they will not take the dc's for any more days after school until they have a payment for the after school club - I have applied for and been awarded assistance with childcare from the college. When I did so I had to fill out a form stating the days/hours I needed care paid for so, since the school initially agreed, I filled the form out for 3 days. So essentially when the month comes through they will be being paid for 3 days but have said they will only take them for 2. The payments are paid from the college directly to the school so I have nothing to do with the money now!

Aibu to think:

The school should stick to it's agreed times re 3 days not 2, especially since they will receive additional payment off doing so!

They are being pretty unfair refusing to do the additional day considering that the whole point of me doing this course is so I can get back from college and pick dc's up earlier, thus cutting down the amount of time they spend in after school club?

They are being really U to demand payment from me when they know I have been awarded payments from the college & that said payments get paid every 4 weeks in arrears?

Getting so fed up with them, feels like they are being deliberately difficult - I suspect a large part of it is they don't want to deal with ds2 as he is more work (have had major issues with this in the past with them!)

Sorry so long :/

HighwayDragon Sun 09-Nov-14 10:55:39

they are not bu asking for payment now, qhen I went to university I had to pay a months nursery in advance because that's just the way it worked. They are bu about the extra day though since it was agreed

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Sun 09-Nov-14 10:57:43

I think it might be more about the payment issue than anything else.
I've never come across a kids club that accepted payment in arrears. All clubs etc I've ever come across will only accept payment in advance.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Sun 09-Nov-14 11:00:18

They might have decided to remove the extra day as they're not even being paid for the 2 originally agreed days yet.

CrashDiveOnMingoCity Sun 09-Nov-14 11:01:11

YABU with regards to paying in arrears.

ilovesooty Sun 09-Nov-14 11:02:55

It sounds as though they've discovered the payment will be in arrears and don't like that arrangement, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it's a budgetting decision it doesn't seem unreasonable. If they don't want to deal with your son they would surely have said so.

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Nov-14 11:02:56

Contact the financial people at college so they can make an amendment. Failure to do this will result in an over payment and they will come back to you. They will find out because they will ask the school for an invoice.

I understand that you are annoyed about their stance on the payment front. when did you start using the club?

ilovesooty Sun 09-Nov-14 11:05:19

Good point Goodboy They can't be expected to fund a different 1:1 on the extra day when they haven't received any payment for the first two days.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 09-Nov-14 11:06:49

When DD was at after school clubs I had to pay in advance.

Do you think that could be the issue?

26Point2Miles Sun 09-Nov-14 11:11:32

Just pay it yourself? Honestly, all this angst over your own kids care

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:11:44

I started using the club at the beginning of term but up until now I was paying each day myself because I needed to wait a few weeks for my 24+ Loan to come through before I could apply for the childcare part. I only stopped paying when my paperwork came through saying they would pay for the childcare (2/3 weeks ago).

They knew it would be in arrears, as I did tell them that, and if I pay I won't get any money back because the payments go direct to the school so the school will get paid twice, once from me & once from the college if you see what I mean! They have never said payment needs to be in advance.

Fwiw, I pay £16 an hour in fees instead of the usual £8ph normal rate for 2 dc's because of ds2's 1:1 so double the usual rate!

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:12:52

26, I can't afford to otherwise all this would be a pointless argument! Hence why I applied for help with childcare & transport in the first place :/

CrashDiveOnMingoCity Sun 09-Nov-14 11:13:56

You pay double the rate because he needs 1:1 care though, not just because you're being kind!

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 09-Nov-14 11:14:29

Can't you pay them and then when they get the money from college they take any overpayment off the next month's bill?

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Nov-14 11:15:16

Have you spoke to them about getting overpayments back?
Every month I get an invoice, it mentions if I am in credit and asks if I want it taken off fees, or given back to me.

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:16:42

No, I realise that but I do pay extra for this, as will the college when the payment comes through so it's not like they are funding the 1:1 without being compensated for it.

Plus none of this addresses the additional day I requested - I knew this wouldn't be covered by the childcare payments so I have offered to pay separately myself and they have still said no!

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Sun 09-Nov-14 11:17:21

I still think it's a budgeting issue, and I can totally understand why they've refused the extra day when they haven't been paid for 2-3 weeks. How you get to and from the school is of no interest to them whatsoever.

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:18:21

Getting the overpayment back, if it were possible, is not really the issue - I can't afford to pay 3 weeks worth of fees off in one go either way.

Coolas Sun 09-Nov-14 11:19:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Nov-14 11:21:01

But you could make a token payment until college funding kicks in. Even if you start paying the £18 you would have been paying, it is better than nothing.
You have to realise that they also have expenses to pay for out of this money

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:21:18

It is goodboy, when they have specifically requested that I pick the dc's up as soon as possible after I finish, to cut down the amount of time they spend in after school club.

Getting a bike would reduce my travelling time by half, as it currently takes me over 2 hrs and I am restricted by the train/bus timetable. So actually, I am trying to comply with what they have asked me to do. They know why I wanted that additional day too.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Sun 09-Nov-14 11:21:32

X-post. Maybe they think you're taking the p a bit. You've paid, you've stopped paying, you've said the college will pay in arrears (which no other parents will have that privilege), you'll pay for one day yourself...
They can't budget properly on that.

extremepie Sun 09-Nov-14 11:22:42

£18?

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Nov-14 11:23:12

Sorry £16

ilovesooty Sun 09-Nov-14 11:23:46

Yes it doessound as though tthey've withdrawn the offer as they haven't received any payment recently recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now