Talk

Advanced search

To want my DC to shut the fuck up?

(14 Posts)
BathshebaDarkstone Sun 09-Nov-14 08:56:06

They don't want to come out of their room yet, nor do they want to play quietly so DP can get some sleep. I've been telling them to keep it down since 7.15. AIBU? sad

GobblersKnob Sun 09-Nov-14 08:56:55

How old are they? It's nearly nine......

mummymeister Sun 09-Nov-14 08:59:17

yes -its nearly 9 o'clock. yabu.

Shinyshoes2 Sun 09-Nov-14 08:59:18

Whats the reason your DP is still in bed ?

slightlyworriednc Sun 09-Nov-14 08:59:21

I feel your pain. I've just had to get out of bed cos one of mine hit her brother with the Avon book.

EverythingsRunningAway Sun 09-Nov-14 09:01:31

I can't imagine a situation in which that would be an unreasonable thing to want.

DownByTheRiverside Sun 09-Nov-14 09:05:34

Find a consequence other than telling them and being ignored.
Depending on their ages, it can either be a reward or a sanction.

EatDessertFirst Sun 09-Nov-14 09:12:37

YABU. Its gone nine now. If DP is a nightworker then he needs earplugs as you can't really keep them silent at this time. Can you take them out?

maninawomansworld Mon 10-Nov-14 11:03:06

Hope you got some more sleep OP!

If you want to try it, I find a good sanction is to set a 'getting up time' and then for every minute earlier than that time they wake you up, they have to go to bed earlier that evening.
So if getting up time is 8 and bedtime is 7:30 but they wake me up at 7, they get put to bed at 6:30 that night.
Doesn't take long for them to get the message!

Happy36 Mon 10-Nov-14 11:12:00

Agree with maninawomansworld. Get a clock for their bedrooms and even if they can´t tell the time yet explain what 9am (or whatever time they´re allowed to leave their rooms) looks like. Punish if they break the rule unless there is a valid reason, e.g. feeling unwell. Also leave some books or other toys in their room that they can play with quietly before the permitted time.

maninawomansworld Mon 10-Nov-14 11:55:10

I don't get all angry when applying the punishment, that's not a good way to start the day.

If they've woken me up early then I simply say calmly and gently 'It's not getting up time yet so off you go back to your room until 8. Given that you've woken us at 7:30, just remember it's half an hour early to bed tonight now.'
99% of the time that's the end of it, any protesting or further noise / nonsense sees an extra 15 minutes coming off bedtime. Again, do this a few times (and you MUST stick by the sanctions) and they won't be getting up at 5am again.

SaucyJackOLantern Mon 10-Nov-14 12:07:12

You can't punish children for getting up at a reasonable hour! Even I think that's horrendous- and I'm the queen of the lazy Sunday.

maninawomansworld Mon 10-Nov-14 15:31:00

No you can't punish children for getting up at a reasonable hour, but you can give them an incentive (not getting put to bed early that evening) to not get up at the crack of dawn and make loads of noise.

maninawomansworld Mon 10-Nov-14 15:33:03

And I don't mean keeping them in their rooms until 10:00 or anything like that - but before 8 on a Sunday is early in my book.

Every other day of the week I am up by 5:30 (farmer) and unless I have a pressing job on such as lambing or harvest, Sunday is my lie in (8:00 usually) and I reserve the right to use whatever means necessary to ensure I get to enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now