Talk

Advanced search

To not want to buy my kids a games console for Christmas yet?

(13 Posts)
Ilikeyoursleeves Sun 09-Nov-14 07:48:46

Well I don't really know what to do! I have three boys age 7, 5 and 2 and the oldest one is asking for an X box from Santa. They are very creative kids and love drawing, Lego and writing stories etc so part of me worries if they get a console this will all go out the window! They play on the iPad here and there but as their pals have games consoles they are now asking why they can't get one.

Is 7 and 5 too young? What age are yours if you have one? Any advice? Thanks x

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 09-Nov-14 07:50:46

Mine inherited one last Year at 4 and nearly 6

For a while the younger We obsessed but seems to have gotten over that now

The older who is like your ds crafty and likes making things gets bored of it fairly easily and moves on

Sirzy Sun 09-Nov-14 07:53:30

Why will everything else go out the window? As long as they have pre agreed limits in place then really there is no reason for if to be a problem

bodhranbae Sun 09-Nov-14 08:01:41

Get them one but control the games they use and for how long they play.

Minecraft, Lego games, My Sims Kingdom/Sims - all very good creative stuff. Plenty of excellent sport games too. My DS still does all his crafts and outdoorsy stuff.

My DS inherited an old N64 when he was 4 and got Wii when he was 5.
He is flourishing at school, has great social skills and hasn't developed giant thumbs. grin

jellybellyonadiet Sun 09-Nov-14 10:34:42

I have three older children so the younger two have access to ipads ps4 and an xbox but still spend more time drawing or building lego. you can have the best of both

Asheth Sun 09-Nov-14 10:59:56

We got a wii when my DSs were 7, 4 and unborn! They love playing on it and have since all got tablets as well. But their favorite activity is playing football in the park or riding scooters. They also enjoy lego, cooking and drawing.

I found that when they first got it they were obsessed and would happily spend every waking moment on it. But as time went on the novelty wore off anf it became just one of many fun things to do.

OhHelpOhNoItsaGrufallo Sun 09-Nov-14 13:12:07

My boys have had their wii since they were 8, and access to other consoles and technology too, BUT they still play with Lego, still go outside and play (including puddle jumping and climbing trees)
They spend a lot of time colouring and doing artsy bits and pieces.

I'm not saying to get them a console, I'm just saying they can still do other things too, it doesn't all just disappear in favour of video games.

I grew up with the mega drive and later the playstation, and I loved them, but again, I still did plenty away from it.
Consoles aren't a 'new' thing...

IF you did allow them to get one, there is no reason you can't enforce rules with it. i.e not allowed on it if bedroom is untidy, or if they haven't done their homework.
You could set a time limit, an hour each maybe...
That works well in my house anyway.

BsshBosh Sun 09-Nov-14 14:57:57

As others have said, get him a console but restrict his usage of it. My DD is 6 and has games on an iPad but she's only allowed to play them on weekends (and Friday after school) and not all the time at that. Works well for us.

WalkingInMemphis Sun 09-Nov-14 15:00:56

Mine are 4 and 6.

They don't have one of their own but dh has a PS3 that he had about 3 years ago. It's rarely played by dh (once a month maybe) but the dc have started to show an interest and are allowed to play on it.

So although the actual PS3 isn't theirs, they have (well, ds1 mainly) asked for some PS3 games for Xmas, which Santa will be bringing.

RainbowSpiral Sun 09-Nov-14 16:32:11

I would leave it til he is older. Small kids don't always know the best thing to ask for for Christmas. Xboxs are very expensive and not the only way to enjoy short periods of gaming.

My boys are 11 and 13 and still don't have an Xbox but do have a games controller on a high spec, large screen PC. The advantage of this set up is the gaming is not in the lounge.

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 09-Nov-14 16:42:45

We have an xbox for my 7 and 5 year olds. There was an initial overkill with it, as they would for any new present really. I left them to it, didn't set restrictions, just let their excitement for it die off a bit. Now they probably play with it 2/3 times a week and really enjoy it. It hasn't stopped them playing with anything else - my lego infused carpet is testament to this! I would highly recommend skylanders smile its fab, and relatively cheap if you go for the first set. They are having Disney infinity for Xmas and i cant wait blush

ImTheOneThatKnocks Sun 09-Nov-14 17:06:59

How about getting a second hand Wii with some second hand games. Nintendo have a lot of games that are great for younger children.
I'd also get a big alarm clock to put next to Wii - you can set a time and the kids will be able to see how long they have to play. I'd always give them an extra 5 mins so they can save their games.

teenagetantrums Sun 09-Nov-14 17:17:37

we always had consoles in house as ex was a gamer, my kids had their own from about the age of 5/6. I have never limited screen or game time they really now as older teenagers do not play that much, if they get a new game they might play for a few days but they are not obsessed and they both were quite happy to go to the park or do sport instead of playing their games systems. I really don't understand this whole kids should not play games or watch tv
thing, posted by mums spending time on the internet..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now