Talk

Advanced search

To not understand how e bay works

(24 Posts)
LayMeDown Sat 08-Nov-14 23:53:32

I very rarely buy from e bay. Anytime I have in the past it has worked quite smoothly. I always use pay pal.
Anyway DS1 is obsessed with Indiana Jones and he has asked for some figures for Christmas. Since September I have been trying to get them for him. Towards the end of September I ordered some things from two different sellers in China. Both with good feedback. They have failed to materialise (latest date of delivery given was 31st Oct). I mailed about two weeks ago enquiring about them and they both asked for extra time. Something about Hong Kong customs.
I mailed again yesterday looking for a refund. No answer from either.
I have given up on these turning up at this stage so yesterday I ordered some more figure this time from a UK seller. I paid using Pay pal. But the payments is showing as Unclaimed. So not sure if I have actually bought them or not.
I know this is not really an AIBU, but I need to tap into the Mumsnet e bay knowledge to ask...
Are the ones ordered from China ever likely to show?
If I get a refund and they then arrive after what happens then?

What does it mean that my payment is unclaimed?
Can the seller refuse to sell to me?
Can I withdraw from my offer to purchase if it remains unclaimed for a number of days?

Obviously this sort of merchandise is not available in most toy stores. Also I live in Ireland so availability is even less. So I need to get it on line. If what I ordered isn't going to come through I need to know ASAP so I can get something else for him.

AIBU to find EBay a little overwhelming?

InfinitySeven Sat 08-Nov-14 23:58:09

When did you order? If over 45 days ago, you might not be able to claim a refund, unless Paypal has changed rules recently.

InfinitySeven Sat 08-Nov-14 23:58:45

(first things first! Other people can advise on the rest)

SistersOfPercy Sat 08-Nov-14 23:59:10

Infinity, it's now 180 days. It changed a few months back.

InfinitySeven Sun 09-Nov-14 00:00:11

Thank god for that. I couldn't remember. Thanks Sisters

LayMeDown Sun 09-Nov-14 00:02:07

45 days since order? Really? It was more than that I think. But the delivery was so long. I queried before 45 days though. Does that make a difference?

LayMeDown Sun 09-Nov-14 00:03:03

Ok crosss posted. Thanks Sister. Do you know anything on the unclaimed thing?

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 00:07:53

If it's unclaimed then chances are it's sent to the wrong address (they have probably miss typed it), it should bounce back eventually though I can't remember if there is an option to cancel the payment.

Have these items been marked as dispatched? Sounds to me like they probably haven't because they haven't received the payment.

Do you have any option to raise a case? Look in your eBay next to the item in your purchase list and see if you can raise a not received dispute.

LayMeDown Sun 09-Nov-14 00:17:30

No they haven't been dispatched. That's what I am wondering. How long should I wait to see of it's claimed?

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 00:25:35

I don't think they can claim it, it should just bounce back eventually.
If they have added an incorrect email in theory they can add that incorrect one to the account and it will claim the payment, but it's unlikely.

Can you raise a not received dispute?

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 00:30:50

I think the bounce back time is 30 days for an unclaimed payment so it's odd that it's not been cancelled. Might be worth emailing PayPal and querying this.

HeeHiles Sun 09-Nov-14 00:36:28

I had to wait for about 4 weeks for something to come from Hong Kong once - can you track the delivery on Ebay?

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 00:42:36

Heel, the items haven't been dispatched to be tracked.

Suefla62 Sun 09-Nov-14 00:48:38

I buy on ebay all the time. Sometimes I can track things from China, sometimes it looks like they haven't been shipped and then they show up. Seems to take 3-4 weeks to get here. I never not received my things. Only time I had a no show it was from the UK.

zen1 Sun 09-Nov-14 01:01:15

I've had a few incidences where payment by PayPal is shown as unclaimed. All it meant was that the sellers hadn't linked the correct email address to their PayPal accounts. I sent them a message asking them to check their PayPal accounts were set up correctly so they could claim their funds and most of the time this resolved the problem.

LayMeDown Sun 09-Nov-14 01:04:52

I was told the stuff from China had shipped, it just never turned up. It been 7 weeks since I ordered.
The UK stuff I ordered, won't be dispatched I assume until it's paid for but pay pal says unclaimed. What does this mean? And how soon should I accept I'm not getting what I ordered and order something else

zen1 Sun 09-Nov-14 01:18:24

If it remains unclaimed, you can cancel the transaction in your PayPal account.

LayMeDown Sun 09-Nov-14 01:24:52

Once I cancel is that final? Do I have to give buyer certain amount of time to claim payment?

zen1 Sun 09-Nov-14 01:31:32

I think you can cancel at any time. However, if you are still interested in buying the stuff, drop them a message to ask if they are going claim it from their account.

Sarine1 Sun 09-Nov-14 08:00:38

Right,
You need to cancel your transaction :

Go and find your 'purchase history' in your 'my eBay'. Find the item you've purchased and click on it. On the right you'll see a blue box marked 'Leave feedback' and underneath a link called 'More Actions'. Click on that link and there's a drop down menu which includes 'My item didn't arrive'. Click on that and it will open a case which will get you a full refund of your money into your paypal account. But do it promptly as there is a time limit. Hope that helps?

2minsofyourtime Sun 09-Nov-14 08:48:55

Open a case for the first set of items and ask for money to be returned. You will get your money back.

With the second set of items contact the seller and ask them to check their PayPal address, ( previously I've been selling stuff snd was unable to get the money as there was s glitch when I updated the app which changed my email address to .con rather than .com

NewJobNewLife Sun 09-Nov-14 10:01:03

I had an order from china not turn up I waited until the en of the delivery estimate had passed by a few days and then emailed. They asked for more time. I gave it a week and then asked for a refund. I got more message asking for more time, but I just politely said I couldn't wait any longer and please send a refund each time they messages. Escalated to eBay for a decision once I could and they refunded me. About 6 weeks later, the item turned up, but I haven't done anything about it. I had to buy another item, so don't want to pay again or pay to send it back to china.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Sun 09-Nov-14 12:51:41

I'm in Ireland too. I had ebay deliveries from China take 8-9 weeks around this time last year.
So if it has shipped it may still arrive in next week or two.

quietbatperson Sun 09-Nov-14 17:29:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now