Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have my own 20 minute system?

(14 Posts)
Sister77 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:08:46

I had a call today from friends who had unexpectedly ended up close to our house.
It was a tip and I was unable to say no to the suggestion as they wanted to see us and kids.
They said they'd be here in about 30 minutes.
As soon as I put the phone down I felt like crying! They have a lovely home. It's clean and tidy and well decorated. They feed us so well and it's never inconvenient.
I sent my DH to sainsburys and sorted kids. I then had 20 minutes to clean the shithole.
I cleaned the bathroom (sink, sides and toilet), the kitchen (again sink, sides, did last nights dinner and this mornings breakfast dishes, chucked "stuff" in cupboards) and living room (threw everything into kids bedrooms and ran Hoover over wooden flooring).
The kids decided to play upstairs their daughter came down and said "I can't play up there! It's a mess and we can't find anything!"
My "d"h thinks I should have left something and quickly sorted a bedroom for the kids to play in.
He will
Do it next time and I will go to sainsburys.
WIU? I thought is prioritised pretty well!
Sorry for the epic post. Pissed me of because he had the "easy" job.

Orangeena Sat 08-Nov-14 22:11:34

Well I am shock at all you achieved in 20 minutes tbh!I say well done to you sister!

BastardGoDarkly Sat 08-Nov-14 22:11:53

Well,tbh you probably couldn't have fitted it in could you? So which room wits he have 'sacrificed'?!

I think their daughter was a bit rude though confused

ChippingInAutumnLover Sat 08-Nov-14 22:12:20

There's a limit to what you can do in 20mins I think you did well.

He's being a Bellend, but you know that wink

How old was their DD? I would be mortified if my children said that and they were older than about 5.

All that aside, did you enjoy their visit?

ItsaboatJack Sat 08-Nov-14 22:17:50

I'd have just done the toilet and lounge and kept them to those rooms, no need for them to go in the kitchen is there? If the kids went to play in kids bedrooms and they were messy then so be it.

Or depending on who it was I might have asked guests to stop and get drinks or whatever on the way and had a bit of extra tidying time with dh there to help too.

But yes your dh was being a twat.

Sister77 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:21:47

Enjoyed the visit. It was great they are lovely people, the daughter is 7 and mildly autistic says what she thinks, unaware of social repercussions which is one reason I think their house is immaculate as otherwise she will just say "our house is filthy".
Bless her she's come out with some corkers like that mans fat! You can see that girls knickers, look at his pants - why can't he pull his trousers up?etc.
DT probably thought I'd now the lawn and clean the garage too.
My secret weapon is dettol. Put it in the sinks and toilet and it smells lovely. Like a hospital

Sister77 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:22:27

DT = dear twat

Sister77 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:25:20

Kitchen lounge diner open plan (stupidly)

ChillySundays Sat 08-Nov-14 22:27:36

As the child of a very critical mother it has always made me the person who comes to see you not the house. As long as I am not going to catch anything I couldn't give a shit what state the house is.
Sounds like you did an amazing job - next time let your DH do it and he can see how hard it is

ChippingInAutumnLover Sat 08-Nov-14 22:32:15

DT had better be busy making it up to you!

They sound like good friends, so maybe you don't need to worry so much next time. I like stuff 'in it's place' and the house 'drop in' ready, but I have friends whose places are a tad more...eclectic? Or a bomb site grin and I don't give a rats arse, so long as I can push stuff to one side to sit down and one of us can get to the kettle, it's all good smile

I'd hate people to spend time fussing before I came around << my friends certainly seem on board with that theory too grin

Sister77 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:43:01

Thank you all.
Told my sil (DTs sister) and she said I was "thick" I should have gone sainsburys and done the quick shop and had a coffee and let him sort it out at home!
She also said don't let kids upstairs next time...problem solved

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Nov-14 23:17:44

Your OP made me think of a site someone on MN mentioned called unfuck your habitat, who has an emergency cleaning page 'unfuck your whole house in the shortest possible time' grin Love the site even though my habitat doesn't need unfucking.

If your friends are lovely people then they're not going to be hoiking at what your house looks like, they've come to see you!

Your sister has a point though, why keep a dog etc grin

Jolleigh Sat 08-Nov-14 23:37:58

Have the friend recreate the scenario for you next time your house has upwards of 5 hours cleaning to do, and let your DT do the unfucking. He's obviously a master at it if he's got the balls to comment so is better suited to that job wink.

I also have a 'shit, I've got guests soon' system. Doesn't matter who it is.

Toilet gets a quick clean, bedroom door gets shut after clean laundry has been put on the bed. Toys put away, couch cleared, bins out, baby wiped over and changed if needed, food picked up off the floor (weaning baby), dishes and sides. Guests normally arrive half way through the dishes but that's alright because the rest of the bomb site is cleared.

Your 20 minutes is certainly more productive than mine! I'd die if I tried to fit hoovering in too. wine to you for being wonder woman.

KnackeredMuchly Sun 09-Nov-14 00:52:31

I think you had your priorities spot on to be honest in 20 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now