Talk

Advanced search

To consider going back to my old job?

(10 Posts)
Excited85 Sat 08-Nov-14 20:54:42

I left my old job after 4 years of being treated not particularly well by the owners who saw the company (I feel) like a lifestyle business to find their lavish overseas lifestyle. It was only a small company and we all worked hard and got on well despite the limited resources and constant questioning on everything we did.

They never once gave any pay rises considering the extra work and increased level of responsibility over the 4 years and were generally quite difficult - I was glad to leave.

My current job where I've been for a few years now pays double, with a lot more responsibility but also autonomy and trust. I really enjoy what I do and the new opportunities this role has provided such as management responsibilities.

However, my personal circumstances have changed and I am now solely responsible for my dd during the week. My current position is not suited to this as I am out from 7am to 7pm meaning having to rely on parents to help prior to and after nursery which isn't sustainable. My old job which is round the corner and 9-5 have asked me to go back and will match my salary.

I really don't know what to do and am hoping for some advice hence posting here. The owners reassure me they have changed and are more focused on the business now but it seems silly to leave a job I enjoy to go back to a one I didn't. But in the interests of my DD and parents should I? The long hours weren't so bad before as I felt my absence was balanced out by the 1:1 time with her daddy, but the idea of her seeing neither of us pretty much for the whole week feels horrible, she's only one. So, would I be unreasonable to go back?

ecuse Sat 08-Nov-14 20:57:06

I think I'd go back if they're going to match your salary and if seeing so little of your DD will make you unhappy (not saying it should, but if it does)

Janethegirl Sat 08-Nov-14 21:11:15

Seems the hours match what you want more closely than your current job. And if they will pay the same, I'd be tempted to go for it. Maybe get any potential issues clarified in writing first though. Good luck with whatever you decide flowers

Writerwannabe83 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:00:45

I'm going back to my old job as it suits my needs better in terms of childcare.

There are benefits in that the pay is better but the negative is that I left there for a reason and that reason will no doubt be there when I return.

My current job is very enjoyable and probably far better for me physically and emotionally, but needs must.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Nov-14 23:29:48

Do you believe them when they say they've changed?

Was the shitty way they treated you because they weren't focused on the company or were they just shitty people?

If they haven't changed are you prepared to put up with it because it'll be balanced out by the options the job will give you with your DD?

Will you be able to find another job relatively easily if it all goes tits up?

Barbeasty Sun 09-Nov-14 09:03:11

Does your current job have to be 7-7? If you have a firm offer from your old employer can you try and negotiate something which suits you better with the job/employer you prefer?

The worst they'll do is say no, then you move. If they say yes then it's win win.

bette06 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:49:18

Is anyone you used to work with still there? Could you find out through them whether things have really changed?

Excited85 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:42:11

Thanks for the advice. I think I have to give it serious consideration and have a good chat with them before agreeing to anything. It really would be better from a childcare perspective and I'd hate to do any damage to my dd by her not seeing either of us for most of the week (not saying it would as I generally see her about half an hour before bed but she gets lots of daddy time at the min).

I'm not sure if I believe them Agent, but clearly they've recognised that or they wouldn't say it. The people that are still there don't give me the feeling that anythings changed but I have so maybe I just won't take any poor treatment (brave face!)

Think I will do what you suggest Barbeasty, as I would like to stay if possible but I can't see it being possible. For me to do what I need for my dd I would have to significantly reduce my hours - the big problem is it's a long commute which I can't get around so I'd have to start around 10 and leave about 3.30 which pretty much halves my hours.

Thank you for all your advice, part of me genuinely thought I was being ridiculous to even contemplate going back to an old job but now I can see that's not the case!

Barbeasty Sun 09-Nov-14 20:49:34

Can you work from home at all? That could be a negotiating point. Cut down the extra care people provide and work a few days from home?

PiperIsOrangePumpkins Sun 09-Nov-14 20:54:40

I would go back to my old job.

Children grow up so quickly and before you know it they not children.

I prefer a happy home life to a happy work life, why should my boss and people I work with get the best part of me. I reserve that for my little family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now