Talk

Advanced search

to be more than a little peeved off with DB?

(8 Posts)
FrothyDragon Sat 08-Nov-14 16:40:53

My birthday's fast approaching, and this year, it's a big one. As my parents live away, they usually just send me money and tell me to get myself whatever I want. Perfectly fine.

But this year, I asked if they'd mind ordering my present, thus surprising me with the gift. My parents agreed to do this, and just asked for a wishlist in advance.

Today, my brother phoned to ask a favour. Nothing out of the ordinary. But midway through the conversation, he stopped to talk about my birthday, and out it pops. "Seeing as Mum and Dad have got you that bla bla bla you wanted..."

AIBU to feel pissed about this? Or does anyone want to remind me that being 30 is shit anyway, and will probably be as much a non-event as 21 was...

Nomama Sat 08-Nov-14 16:43:36

Did you scream at him and slam the phone down?

Did you ring your parents and tell them what a rude and inconsiderate shit your DB is? That his selfishness extends to them, not just you!

I have physically thrown my BIL out of my home for less antagonistic mouthing off.

Nomama Sat 08-Nov-14 16:44:00

And no, NU at all. Your DB is a self centred prat!

Gruntfuttock Sat 08-Nov-14 16:44:55

I don't supposed it crossed his mind that it was a secret. Your parents probably told him that you'd told them what you wanted.

diddlediddledumpling Sat 08-Nov-14 16:45:19

is the problem that it's not a surprise for you?
Maybe he didn't know it was supposed to be.

FrothyDragon Sat 08-Nov-14 16:59:18

He does seem to have a problem of speaking first, and thinking later. I don't know what my parents told him, but DM in particular was always rather strict on the keeping presents a surprise front while we were still living her.

But there was a big part of me just looking forward to being surprised on my birthday, rather than reopening a gift that I'd wrapped myself after buying it. Probably sounds pathetic, but...

Gruntfuttock Sat 08-Nov-14 17:09:39

Well maybe your DM had only told him that she'd bought you something you had asked for, without going into the detail that you'd given her a list and therefore wouldn't know exactly what it was. I'm sure it was just a mistake. I've only been given money for birthdays from my mother since becoming an adult (father's dead) and nothing at all for Christmas, so I'm trying to put myself in your shoes and empathise with your disappointment at not having a surprise. Try to be pleased that at least you will have something you wanted for your birthday. smile

Andrewofgg Sat 08-Nov-14 19:51:09

If he did not know it was a secret then YABU . . . but hey, happy birhtday and loads of cake cake cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now