Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why going out drinking is so looked down on here?

(116 Posts)
KimberBentonIsGoingSolo Sat 08-Nov-14 12:51:29

Typical night out for my friends and I - around 3/4 bars and then usually at the end a bar that has music and dance.

Throughout the night some of us leave at 10, some much later, some don't drink at all, never any pressure to drink, never any pressure to dance (a couple of them hate it), we can handle our drink, are not throwing up on the streets etc

I don't understand why in most peoples minds on here that going out involves drinking until you pass out, throw up all over yourself and get with random strangers. What kind of friends do you have?

Tierradelfuego Sat 08-Nov-14 12:52:56

er none like that hmm

formerbabe Sat 08-Nov-14 12:56:45

I don't understand why in most peoples minds on here that going out involves drinking until you pass out, throw up all over yourself and get with random strangers. What kind of friends do you have?

I have never read anything like that on here.

Bunbaker Sat 08-Nov-14 12:58:18

Because to some people it isn't a good night out unless you have thrown up/passed out/had an asbo slapped on you/rolled in at 5 am or whatever.

That is what a typical Friday/Saturday night in our nearest town is like, hence the reason I don't go out in town on a weekend.

In reality I think most of us who go out like a few drinks, but not enough to throw up/pass out.

ApocalypseThen Sat 08-Nov-14 12:58:21

Me neither. I guess the problem is that so many posters here are like, you know, kinda really, like old, like over , I don't know, 30, or whatever, with, kinda, serious responsibilities that they take, like seriously?

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sat 08-Nov-14 12:58:46

I don't think I've read anything like that? Nothing springs to mind anyway.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sat 08-Nov-14 13:01:52

I have no idea what goes on in other people's minds, on here or anywhere else. Are you psychic or something?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 08-Nov-14 13:02:26

WTF?

I've never read anything like that.

confused

EatDessertFirst Sat 08-Nov-14 13:03:39

I have never read anything like that here. Like Bunbaker, our town has a hardcore of idiots who think that a night on the town should culminate in being arrested or taken to hospital. Bless them.

I don't drink anymore as it makes me apocalyptically ill, but even as a student just a few drinks and a bit of a dance was good enough for me.

AimlesslyPurposeful Sat 08-Nov-14 13:03:40

Having been on Mumsnet for nine years I have never picked up on a "going out drinking is wrong" vibe.

Apart from a drop of Baileys or a glass of wine at Christmas I don't drink but I don't judge anyone that does.

Your night out sounds like a normal night out and, although it's not a night out I'd choose to come along on, it's not because I think you're all going to be falling over in your own vomit.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 08-Nov-14 13:04:44

I do know what you mean op. However the vast majority of people on her are parents, the majority I suspect to young children. Therefore the range of views on big nights out drinking is unlikely to be representative of the general population

KimberBentonIsGoingSolo Sat 08-Nov-14 13:11:09

Thanks Stealth

I don't think I explained myself correctly.

I think on here most people assume a night out involves heavy drinking, being sick and coming home at 7am.

Bunbaker Sat 08-Nov-14 13:16:18

The only impression I get of big nights out involving vast amounts of alcohol is occasionally from posters whose partners haven't returned home.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 08-Nov-14 13:18:25

Despite the wine icon and wine o clock most posters are very proud of being lightweights, only having a glass of champagne at Christmas,

SophiaPetrillo Sat 08-Nov-14 13:19:05

What threads and posters are you talking about? It's not my experience of Mumsnet to believe or think that. Your OP doesn't make any sense.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 08-Nov-14 13:20:09

And nothing wrong with that either smile it just might feel a bit disapproving to those who do still go out and drink similar amounts to when they were in their early 20s.
I am at the lightweight end of the scale despite drinking fairly regularly

sunflower49 Sat 08-Nov-14 13:20:12

I regularly go out and get a bit drunk, I've spoken about it on here and never felt had anybody looking down on me for it-if anything what I've noticed more is people saying 'Have a glass of wine!' Or once when I posted I was feeling sorry for myself, should I go out and have a few drinks and let my hair down and everyone replied 'Go out!It'll make you feel better!'

I suppose the reaction would have been different if I had have said 'I'm going to go out, get so drunk I can't stand up, throw up , fall over etc etc' it would have been different, though.

LosingTheWillToSkate Sat 08-Nov-14 13:20:52

I see stuff like that on here all the time! Usually related to a partner going on a night out though. There does seem to be a fair amount of posters who think that going out drinking is immature, pointless, wrong etc for anyone over about 21.

Sometimes I go out and have a few, sometimes I go out and get rat parsed. I've never thrown up, fell over etc but I have done some pretty stupid things. Our work nights out are always eventful. In fact we have one in a couple of weeks - meeting early afternoon for a few games of killer, few pints and will probably grab a curry before we go out out. Generally most of the older guys will come out around 7 and leave around midnight. Us younger ones meet early afternoon and its normally around 4am ish when we leave. Both are absolutely fine!

CinnabarRed Sat 08-Nov-14 13:22:09

I think on here most people assume a night out involves heavy drinking, being sick and coming home at 7am.

Really? I've never got that impression at all. Other than in the minority of threads where someone has said categorically that a night out has ended like that, and then I'm not assuming because it's explicit.

CinnabarRed Sat 08-Nov-14 13:25:22

Although, now I come to think of it, I wouldn't call the kind of night you and your friends go on a night out drinking. Because drinking seems to be peripheral to spending time doing fun stuff with your friends. I'd call that a night out. A night out drinking implies that the drinking is the sole or main purpose of the night out, and could even be solo.

Lweji Sat 08-Nov-14 13:26:13

I still don't get what you mean.
You get lots of different people here.
For some a good night out does involve drinking heavily.
Not for others.
Some frown upon those who go out to get plastered.
Others think the above are uptight.

What are you trying to achieve with the thread?

BackforGood Sat 08-Nov-14 13:27:29

Nope - I think you must be mixing MN up with another forum.
That's not an impression I've got from here.

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 08-Nov-14 13:28:21

To be fair to the op, there is actual a worst things you've done when drunk thread going at the moment!

CinnabarRed Sat 08-Nov-14 13:30:44

Oh, is there? Where? Sounds good for a laugh!

Stealthpolarbear Sat 08-Nov-14 13:35:49

And I bet that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now