Talk

Advanced search

resignation letter wording and is it fair to do it this way?

(19 Posts)
Altinkum Sat 08-Nov-14 08:50:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welshwabbit Sat 08-Nov-14 08:54:39

If it is genuinely a zero hours contract then they have no obligation to offer you hours and you have no obligation to work any so whilst you may technically be required to give 2 weeks' notice you could in any case just refuse any hours offered after 12 November. So I don't see any problem with your approach.

WalkingInMemphis Sat 08-Nov-14 08:55:11

I don't think it works that way op.

By that reasoning, if you worked a job for 5 hours a week, because 5 is much less than FT you could technically give two days notice.

2 weeks notice refers to 2 calendar weeks - regardless of how many hours you are contracted to work in those weeks.

Welshwabbit Sat 08-Nov-14 08:55:55

Ps good luck in your new job!

WalkingInMemphis Sat 08-Nov-14 08:56:51

If Welsh Wabbit is correct, wouldn't it be better to state 'My last working day will be [DATE 2 weeks away]. Unfortunately, I will be unable to accept any working hours during my notice period'.

gamerwidow Sat 08-Nov-14 08:57:41

Not sure how 0 hour contract works but wouldn't they expect you to be available for work for the full two weeks. I.e. If you resign today your last day would be 21st.

Morally I think you're correct and you don't owe them a week of sitting around on the off chance of them needing you but I don't know legalities. Worth a shot at just telling them you're leaving though.

If you can leave at short notice then feel no guilt, they certainly didn't when they were exploiting you with your rubbish 0 hour contact.

aermingers Sat 08-Nov-14 08:59:31

Yes, but if you have a job where you are contracted to work 5 hours per week you still owe them 2 x 5 hour shifts on the 2 weeks concerned because you are required to give 2 weeks notice and your contract is for 5 hours.

Really a 0 hours contract is a way of getting rid of you without giving you notice and unfortunately for the employers one of the downsides of that for them is that you may not get the courtesy of notice from your employee either.

I would ring and discuss it with either a line manager or an HR person. Try and be reasonable, you still need a reference. But impress on them that you have now been offered something more secure and you desperately need to take it. They would have to be really unreasonable to say no.

Welshwabbit Sat 08-Nov-14 08:59:53

Yes Walking, agree it would be sensible to change the wording. OP, zero hours contracts are meant to offer maximum flexibility on both sides and if your employer can take advantage of that by only paying you for hours they want you to work at their whim there is no reason why you shouldn't too.

TooMuchCantBreathe Sat 08-Nov-14 09:06:22

Yep your finish date is 14 calendar days after you give notice. Your last paragraph should be "please note I will be unavailable for work during my notice period" or similar. Be matter of fact, polite and send it registered signed for in plenty of time.

As others have said their situation is not your issue. They use 0hr contracts because of the pluses for them, it's rare there is a plus for you!

Altinkum Sat 08-Nov-14 09:09:26

Altinkum Sat 08-Nov-14 09:17:37

Altinkum Sat 08-Nov-14 09:21:59

Thrif Sat 08-Nov-14 09:27:20

I think what you've written now is fine but personally, I wold leave out the bit about not accepting ours after 12 Nov and just decline them if offered.

Altinkum Sat 08-Nov-14 09:33:52

lastnightIwenttoManderley Sat 08-Nov-14 10:11:08

OP I would simply go with Walking's words. Whilst you're essentially saying the same thing, I think there are too many dates and numbers in your version and it may lead to confusion. Keep it simple - they know you're on a 0hr contract so no need to reiterate unless they challenge it later.

Good luck in your new job!

TeenAndTween Sat 08-Nov-14 10:11:29

They can 'expect' you to keep other days free all they like.
You aren't contracted to them to do so.

lastnightIwenttoManderley Sat 08-Nov-14 10:16:06

Sorry missed tge bit about this week. Just change Walking's last sentence to 'Please note that I will be unable to accept any working hours after Wednesday 12th.'

You're on 0hrs, they are perfectly within their right to give you no hours and you're within your right to not work any. You don't owe them anything, stop worrying about their situation/feelings. smile

hamptoncourt Sat 08-Nov-14 10:23:07

I manage staff on zero hours contracts.

If one of my team were to resign I would expect them to honour any work that we had agreed during the notice period ( in your case 2 weeks) but I would not offer them any additional work during that period unless they had expressly said they were up for it.

I think you should just say you are giving them 2 weeks notice but that you will of course honour your commitment to work on x days as previously agreed.

Good luck in the new job.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 08-Nov-14 11:26:39

I'm zero days; we work anything agreed for the following week but after that it's up to us. Notice is the statutory minimum but if there's no work we can go early. Except during the Christmas rush, when we're held to it because of poaching. This year they offered us bribes to stay, woo hoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now