Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be upset at school

(24 Posts)
mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 19:58:59

Right ok for many reasons as a family we do not have any photos of any of us on the internet.
When the dc started at this school we had a form to sign where we could either give permission for our dc to be photographed or not. ( we were not able to opt into photos but them not being used on the website etc) so we signed a letter saying the school did not have permission to photograph our children.
Dispite this school have photographed them all on more than one occasion, which we have bought to there attention and we were assured that systems had been put in place to stop them being photographed again.

Today at 17:00 I received an email from the school with a link to the heads newsletter. Which contains a photo of one of my dc!! The school have emailed this newsletter to all of the parents at the school and it is on the school website so everyone who can access the internet can see it.
I believe the school have broken the law by using a photo of our dc like this without our consent. Is this correct?
What can I do? How do I handle this?

Tia

Lucyccfc Fri 07-Nov-14 20:05:05

I would put a written complaint into the Head teacher and also copy in the Chair of Gov's.

So the school can fully understand why you are not happy about this, I would be very specific with your reasons.

Liara Fri 07-Nov-14 20:07:05

Fucking hell that is incredible.

What if there were safeguarding issues, eg. relating to adopted children and their bio parents?

I think you have to kick up a fuss, even if it has no major consequences for you it could do for someone else.

mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 20:11:58

Thank you for replying.

Thats what we were thinking an official complaint in writing.

Is there anything we should include or ask for?

Itsfab Fri 07-Nov-14 20:16:46

I am not meaning to be offensive but when you do write to the school say you have brought to their attention many times that you have not given permission for your children to be photographed. I find you get better results when you sound like you know what you are talking about.

Nanny0gg Fri 07-Nov-14 20:17:56

Ask to see the school's Safeguarding policy. There will be something specific in there they are contravening.

If (and I'm not asking for information) there are SS reasons for the non-photography I'd cc them in the letter you're sending.

Luciferbox Fri 07-Nov-14 20:19:06

Yes, contact the head and complain. I'm a teacher and you always check photographic consent before any photos are taken. There could be very serious consequences for some families.

mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 20:23:17

Thank you for your advice I am taking it all on board.

Chairthing Fri 07-Nov-14 20:24:22

YANBU. I work in Early Years and there are a number of children who have a various levels of censorship required over photographs. Some are allowed to be snapped, but the photos not shared or placed in another child's planning file, but one little girl isn't allowed to be photographed at all for religious reasons.

You need to write to the Head, and I would ask for an appointment to discuss the matter. Or alternatively, if you've already addressed this issue with them and they've done nothing, you might consider going straight to the LA or Board? Obviously they're not paying attention.

NanaNina Fri 07-Nov-14 20:24:31

I don't think the school have "broken the law" but agree that you need to contact the head and complain.

mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 20:26:22

Thank you chair and nina

TeenAndTween Fri 07-Nov-14 20:30:09

Given that this is not the first time, I would write to the head and copy the chair of governors.

In particular this should be strongly viewed as contrary to appropriate safeguarding procedures.

So either their procedures are lacking, or they have not followed them.

In the short term
- you accept you can't do anything about the email
- you want the photo removed from the newsletter and deleted from online
- a recognition they have let you down
- an apology

In the medium term
- for them to investigate what went wrong
- to tell you at least was it human error or procedures
- for them to tighten up training and/or procedure to prevent this occurring again

I am very surprised the school has all or nothing. Both my DDs schools have the middle line of photos for in school use only (which is what we choose). When we had a blip (local paper did not get sign off for photo they took and published) the school was extremely apologetic to us, took immediate action with newspaper to get photo removed online or from being available for copies, and school had strong words with paper re following sign off procedure in future.

At our school all photos to be published are checked off by office staff.
My children are also aware of the restrictions on their photos and are old enough to query if they see an 'external' taking their photo. If you have an absolute ban on your children's photos being taken at school you should also train them to pipe up if they ever see a camera being pointed at themselves.

mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 20:35:02

Thank you teen that is very helpful. We wanted a middle line as you have but they don't do that apparently hmm.
My eldest will question a camera unfortunately in this case the dc in the photo will not question a teacher.

katiegee Fri 07-Nov-14 20:35:07

I'm genuinely shocked! regardless of your reasons for not wanting your children photographed and their pictures to be on the internet, the school should respect your wishes. Especially when you have signed consent forms and drawn their attention to this issue previously.

Definitely write a letter of complaint to the class teacher/ head teacher/ board of governors - much harder for them to ignore and forget about than a conversation when you are dropping off or collecting your children.

I hope they remove the pictures from the internet soon and there are no adverse effects for you and your family.

mumof6needssanity Fri 07-Nov-14 20:36:07

Thank you katiegee

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 07-Nov-14 23:41:06

Don't know much about the law, but I'm sure you need permission to take pictures of anyone, and if you did not give the school permission to take pics of your d.c and the school not only took pictures but all so put them on the internet as well then yes. I'd say this was illegal.
You definately have grounds to complain.
And no you're not B.U. You asked the school not to do something and they went against your command as a mother.

Coolas Fri 07-Nov-14 23:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goldmandra Fri 07-Nov-14 23:52:51

Copy your local safeguarding children board in on the emails. A quick internet search should find them. The school needs now to be held accountable for their actions because they could very easily put a child's life at risk but this sort of negligence.

Coolas Fri 07-Nov-14 23:52:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chopinbabe Sat 08-Nov-14 11:44:15

I don't think it is illegal to take a picture but, if it is a safeguarding issue and not one in which you are merely being precious, it would be reasonable to remind them once again.

Irishhooley Sat 08-Nov-14 13:58:10

The disclosure of this info is perhaps in contravention of Data Protection or Freedom of Information. You had specifically not given permission for images to be taken or shared. Is there an information commissioner that you could take advice from.

Thrif Sat 08-Nov-14 14:16:02

AFAIK it's not illegal but it will be in contravention of the school's safeguarding policy and therefore a vey big deal indeed. Write to the head and copy the governors.

Chairthing, out of genuine interest, which religion prevents photographs? I haven't heard of that before.

socially Sat 08-Nov-14 14:18:11

That would be regarded as a serious breach at my school.

Definitely complain to the head and the governors.

I would want a very grovelling apology if I were you.

WyrdByrd Sat 08-Nov-14 23:16:41

Can only reiterate what others have said, but I'd also suggest you contact your LEA/local council if you are talking about a UK state school.

I work at a maintained nursery school and we have to follow procedures laid down by the LEA.

Tbh, as someone said up thread, it does make for somewhat boring, generic newsletters but better that than a child put at risk by an error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now