Talk

Advanced search

For wanting HRT to continue to be provided via a 3 month script?

(22 Posts)
MistyMistletoe Fri 07-Nov-14 18:31:29

DH has just collected my hrt script and the pharmacist said it will be the last 3 month one shock

Anyone else know of this?

To be fair the NHS does provide a sterling service and I don't really begrudge the extra cost.

DoJo Fri 07-Nov-14 19:06:39

Did they say why it was changing? Until you know the rationale, I suppose it's difficult to know whether it's reasonable.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 07-Nov-14 19:11:09

I think all doctors are moving to 1 month scripts. I am on tablets that I have to take daily for the rest of my life and I still can only get them on a one month's script. It is bloody annoying.

flymetotheprune Fri 07-Nov-14 19:13:49

My Dr told me that they don't do scripts for more than 1 month to cut down on medicines being wasted. I think it's just a way to screw even more money <<cynical>>

nokidshere Fri 07-Nov-14 19:25:15

My 95 year old MIL takes one pill a day for blood pressure and she can only get a month at a time - despite the fact that they only want to see her 6 monthly and she has been taking them for at least 20 years now! Its a right PITA.

CrohnicallyAnxious Fri 07-Nov-14 19:28:46

I just wanted to point out if you have more than 1 item per month and have to pay for prescriptions you will probably be better off getting a prepayment card (PPC). It costs around £10 per month, you can buy 3 or 12 month ones. I think you need to get 4 items over a 3 month period to be saving money.

Musicaltheatremum Fri 07-Nov-14 19:30:25

It's not the doctors that get the money. It's the pharmacists who get a dispensing fee for each prescription. It costs GPs to do monthly scripts. In scotland we do 2 monthly scripts. I give 6months once stable for HRT. I wish we could give more. I spend 90 minutes a day doing scripts. Actually we spend about 3-4 hours of doctors' time doing scripts. And the staff spend about an hour too. It's crazy. It is certainly NOT a money making spin for us.

MistyMistletoe Fri 07-Nov-14 19:38:14

Thanks for your responses ladies. The chemist was closed by the time DH came home and they aren't open tomorrow. I will give them a ring Monday to gain some clarity.

I didn't think of it like that Musical and never realised just how much writing scripts take up the doctors time.

MistyMistletoe Fri 07-Nov-14 19:39:28

I will look into that CA. Would make financial sense.

MistyMistletoe Fri 07-Nov-14 19:40:38

What's PITA mean?

cavkc Fri 07-Nov-14 19:46:35

I have 5 lots of medication so I bought the NHS prepayment card.

Saves me an absolute fortune

Oldraver Fri 07-Nov-14 20:02:32

We've had monthly scripts for years here. I am medically exempt but I feel for people that have to pay every month

meltedmonterayjack Fri 07-Nov-14 20:12:30

I get two month's supply of all my various meds. HRT I get one pack with 3 strips (so 3 months) in. No one has mentioned this changing but maybe it will. I also have a pre-payment card as I have about 10 different things a day.

flymetotheprune Fri 07-Nov-14 20:14:18

I know it's not the doctors that get the script money hmm

PITA = pain in the arse

Littlefish Fri 07-Nov-14 20:27:49

I've just been prescribed 6 months of HRT. Perhaps it depends on the area in which you live.

Girlwithnotattoos Fri 07-Nov-14 20:31:02

Prescriptions are free in Wales and I've forgotten how much I hated having to fork out £'s for them grin

RainbowSpiral Fri 07-Nov-14 21:40:25

In Scotland they changed from 3 month to max of 2 month scripts

Marylou62 Sat 08-Nov-14 09:35:51

My chemist hasn't changed yet....I have just collected an HRT prescription....funny as they come in a box of 84 (3 months)...but I second the pre payment...£10 a month which saves me a fortune as have to take 4 tablets a day..and various creams.....easily done on t'internet...
And our chemist has a system where they do the re ordering...no faffing at the Drs for repeats...prescription is always ready when I run out...good.. as part of my problem with the menopause is memory loss!!!

MistyMistletoe Sat 08-Nov-14 21:38:02

Thanks Fly Ive seen PITA mentioned a few times but have never been able to work it out.

It seems script policy varies depending on where you live.

Greenfizzywater Sat 08-Nov-14 21:50:36

I'm a GP and prescribe lots of stuff on two or three monthly scripts, as long as you can be fairly certain the patient is stable and not likely to be changed in that time so no wastage. It isn't any recent change in rules so I would ask your GP to change it back and politely complain if they refuse.

3boys40 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:51:13

monthly for ages here.I have about 4 regular items so buya prepayment.

MistyMistletoe Sun 09-Nov-14 19:00:45

Thank you Greenfly I will discuss it when I next visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now