Talk

Advanced search

To think that schools should log incidences of fighting/ punching in infant school

(37 Posts)
ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 17:28:26

I realise that young children often struggle to manage their feelings. Maybe it would be a real pain for the dinner ladies to record every time that small boys play fight. I feel that proper record keeping would enable the school to know which children are potential bullies, being bullied or have regular anger issues or need help with social skills.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 07-Nov-14 17:30:42

A good school shouldn't need to keep a log to recognise which children are having difficulties and need extra support.

As for play fighting and wrestling well dinner ladies would be spending more time writing than supervising!

ImBrian Fri 07-Nov-14 17:30:47

We keep a log of all incidences, in the classroom and outside.

maddy68 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:31:00

What school doesn't? All incidents are logged on a behaviour system in every school I've ever worked it

Annunziata Fri 07-Nov-14 17:32:35

Play fighting doesn't need logged, it's normal and nothing to do with actual fighting.

ImBrian Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:12

By incidences I mean if someone has had an accident, hurt someone deliberately etc.

cazzybabs Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:24

we log incidents where children are got hurt accidentally or not

MrsTerrorPratchett Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:41

every time that small boys play fight Huh? Are the girls all making daisy chains and dancing?

Oakmaiden Fri 07-Nov-14 17:34:16

Play fighting doesn't indicate a child is a potential bully, has anger difficulties or poor social skills - what a strange idea!

Thrif Fri 07-Nov-14 17:35:19

Yes, all fighting is logged here too.

Play fighting is banned

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 17:36:05

My daughter was punched on the lip before half term and the same boy punched her in stomach after half term. Apparently it was all dealt with the dinner ladies as "minor incident" and not logged. Its interesting that in most schools such an incident would be logged.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 07-Nov-14 17:36:13

I feel that proper record keeping would enable the school to know which children are potential bullies

What makes you think bullying has a connection with fighting in the playground?

insancerre Fri 07-Nov-14 17:37:30

Play fighting is normal. Its what young children do.
It has its origins in nature. Just look at baby lions etc. It gives children an invaluable outlet for their natural urges and helps them work out what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't
What schools should be doing is understanding child development. Its an area that is often overlooked in the race to get children to conform yo docierus view of how they should behave.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 07-Nov-14 17:37:34

If it wasn't logged, how do you know it was dealt with as a "minor incident"?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 07-Nov-14 17:43:51

But "logging it" isn't dealing with it any more effectively either. In that incidence I would expect the class teacher to have dealt with both incidences and probably a word from the head too. I would hope that the parents were also informed on both occasions about what their child had done.

Logging something isn't dealing with something. Any violence should be dealt with appropriately at the time by the right person. The dinner lady absolutely should have informed someone when it happened.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 07-Nov-14 20:15:45

Isn't it "incidents", not "incidences", OP?

jamdonut Fri 07-Nov-14 21:42:54

Playfighting tends to lead to children hurting each other. Recently our dinner ladies were asked to write down all incidences that they saw.

They had a gigantic list and spent more time writing than being able to do their job.

We actively discourage playfighting. It is always the same children who end up hurting each other, and then complaining about it!

bearleftmonkeyright Fri 07-Nov-14 21:55:10

As a dinner lady I spent more time untangling groups of small boys than anything else. Getting to the nub of every playground incident can be difficult but we always try. I do log it if the child is obviously hurt.

fairylightsintheloft Fri 07-Nov-14 22:37:16

surburban do fuck off with your grammar pedantry. I found out today my 5 yo ASD DS is being repeatedly kicked and generally bullied in y1. I found out via a parent who has witnessed it. The teacher is under the impression that there's no problem. I am all for over the top vigilance as kids that young aren't very good at communicating if there is a problem.

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 23:03:43

Unless there is problem logging incidences then SEN kids are more likely to get bullied. Not every child has middle class and vocal parents. I feel that schools need to be proactive in spotting bullying.

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 23:04:13

I just realise my last post makes no sense

catkind Fri 07-Nov-14 23:18:34

What about when the aggressor says it was play fighting and the injured party is too cowed to say otherwise? I had DS in floods of tears last year about someone "play fighting" him consistently over several weeks. It took him that long to get up the nerve to mention it even to me. Once the teacher knew it was dealt with in a day and DS was happy at school again.

So yes I think incidents where someone gets hurt (or indeed incidences of someone getting hurt Suburban hmm) should be logged.

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 23:27:12

Logging incodeces helps schools spot patterns. If dinner ladies are snowed under with children who punch there is a very serious problem.

ReallyTired Fri 07-Nov-14 23:27:32

Drafted spell check

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 08-Nov-14 06:56:41

Really tired its not that dinner ladies are snowed under. It is just that itnis your job to watch the children. If you are recording things all tge time you are not watching them if that makes sense. Even writing an accident slip on the playground means I am taking my eye off thw children. However, there are always ways to improve things. I would hate to think of a child being bullied and me not realising. I think this is where its useful for parents to xome in. Sometimes their child will say about something thats happened at lunchtime. Is there a problem at your dc school really tired? If there is I would definitely go in and tslk to the head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now