Talk

Advanced search

To need help with this decision. Relocation related.

(8 Posts)
Bellanavasmum Fri 07-Nov-14 16:53:00

So, husband has the opportunity to move to Norfolk to work across Norfolk and Suffolk, but we don't know what to do!
Currently live in the north west. Nice area, dd in f2in good school and other dd in preschool.
Love Norfolk and the idea of living there and child ring growing up there but scared of the upheaval and leaving family and friends.

Help!!

Thank you, all comments welcome!

Charitybelle Fri 07-Nov-14 17:22:19

I moved around A LOT when growing up (think 9 schools) and whilst I wouldn't recommend carting your kids all over the place to that extent, I would be confident that they will cope with one move and will bounce back with school/friends etc if they're young.
If you and your DH are keen, I say go for it. Give yourselves a trial period (say 2 years) and if you haven't settled and are happy by then you can always move back? Life is short, you have to grab exciting opportunities when they come along.
Re: family and friends, it is a shame to be so far, but if you're committed to keeping in touch/visiting, you can make it work.

Charitybelle Fri 07-Nov-14 17:24:04

Btw, Norfolk is lovely, but do your research, make sure you'd be able to afford somewhere nice to live in a decent location - near good schools etc.

meoverhere Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:57

I have lived in both the NW and Norfolk.

Norfolk is just heart breakingly beautiful. DH and I plan to retire there (if we can afford to)

One word of warning. It is very isolated compared with the North West. Takes a long time to get anywhere from there... Norfolk has no motorways at all, remember.

So, factor that into any decision. Trips back to the NW will have to be weekend trips at least (and I personally wouldn't drive there on a Saturday, back on a Sunday) which does cut down on the number of times you'll be able to go back.

But it is lovely....

meoverhere Fri 07-Nov-14 17:35:10

Funnily enough, I've just remembered. I moved to Norfolk from the NW too.

Bellanavasmum Fri 07-Nov-14 20:54:10

Thank you for your advice, we have done a trip down to look at some of the more central smaller villages just need to check out schools now.
Does anyone know if any areas are particularly over subscribed?

LiviaEmpressoftheUniverse Fri 07-Nov-14 22:08:44

I really don't like Norfolk. I live in the North West.
Norfolk is flat and soul-less and a five hour journey from home.

Scotslasslivinginfrance Fri 07-Nov-14 22:15:13

I know nothing about Norfolk but I'm always up for an adventure even with small children in tow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now