Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poppy wearing

(92 Posts)
HappyAgainOneDay Fri 07-Nov-14 16:46:27

I was in town today and waited for a friend who didn't turn up because she'd forgotten for half an hour. Opposite me in a shopping Mall was a poppy table and two servicemen behind it. I began to look at people passing and was amazed at the huge number of people who were not wearing a poppy. Far more were not sporting a poppy than those who were.

I then realised that those without poppies were mostly on the younger side of the population - say, 40 and younger. Do they not realise what we are remembering? Yes, the poppies represent those who died but the general reason for the charity now is that the funds collected go to service people who've lost limbs or are otherwise disabled. The families of those who never came back are also helped. AIBU for thinking that more should wear a poppy with pride?

dexter73 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:47:53

Some people (including the Queen I think) only wear the poppy on Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Nov-14 16:49:47

I've got about 6 coats/outdoor jackets and keep forgetting to transfer my poppy when I change.

Also, the paper ones tend to fall off a lot.

GoofyIsACow Fri 07-Nov-14 16:51:59

I have three poppies and a wristband but I always forget to wear it because it is just one more thing to remember when I am getting three children and myself out of the door in a morning!

I will be wearing it when I parade on sunday with the scouts however

LadyRabbit Fri 07-Nov-14 16:52:03

Yes dexter73 is right, I can distinctly remember my mother only pinning a poppy on my coat on Remembrance Sunday morning before the church service. It seems to have been extended into a week or more these days.

I'm definitely NOT the Queen btw!

dexter73 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:52:05

And what Worra said. If you had seen me today you would have thought badly of me for not wearing one, whereas in fact I had just left my coat (with poppy) in the car as I was too warm to put it on.

LadyRabbit Fri 07-Nov-14 16:54:12

Also, this 'poppy wearing shaming' is getting jolly trying.

skylark2 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:55:15

My poppy spent today being proudly worn by the jacket I wore yesterday but not today.

I think I'll get a wristband next year, and put it next to my watch at night. I'm much more likely to remember that.

But even yesterday if you'd seen me in town you'd have thought I wasn't wearing one as I had an outdoor coat over the top.

dexter73 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:55:15

^^ hear hear LadyRabbit

meditrina Fri 07-Nov-14 16:55:26

"AIBU for thinking that more should wear a poppy with pride?"

Yes.

Everyone is free to chose whether to participate or not, and to choose when and how. It's not an obligation.

Comito Fri 07-Nov-14 16:55:33

LadyRabbit Quite. If people want to wear a poppy then fine, but I dislike the militancy and shaming around it now.

vestandknickers Fri 07-Nov-14 16:56:59

I have a wristband. Nobody could see it when I have my coat on.

Showing respect doesn't have to be a public thing.

Neither does remembering.

whatsagoodusername Fri 07-Nov-14 16:58:06

I don't wear a poppy. I don't want to.

I know what the history of what they represent, agree with it, would be happy to donate the money to support the charity. I just don't want to wear the actual thing.

avocadotoast Fri 07-Nov-14 16:58:31

I don't have one. If I was going to go for any I'd get a white one, but haven't seen anywhere this year.

I don't feel that not wearing one makes me a bad person, or unfeeling, or whatever... I've just got more important things to worry about at the moment and it's not on my priority list. Plus, the paper ones are really annoying when they get wet/fall off.

fourwoodenchairs Fri 07-Nov-14 16:58:54

I don't wear a poppy, neither does DP. My thoughts and remembering don't have to be public.

addictedtobass Fri 07-Nov-14 16:59:28

I wear the wristband because I keep losing my poppies, gone through 6 already and I'd only had then 2 days. Wristband for me!

YANBU to think that way but equally it's up to people what they do. My DB doesn't wear a poppy until remembrance day but always donates when he sees someone before then. Dsis doesn't wear at all though she does the silence and remembrance, her opinion is she shouldn't need to or be shamed for not doing it.

MissBlennerhasset Fri 07-Nov-14 17:00:06

Showing respect doesn't have to be a public thing.

Exactly, you don't need a badge to remember the wars and the people who died in them. We talk about it at home around the time with the DCs - their great grandparents were involved in wars. But I don't feel the need to display a poppy to demonstrate to others how empathetic I am.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Nov-14 17:00:37

If people want to wear a poppy then fine, but I dislike the militancy and shaming around it now

Couldn't agree more.

What gives people the right to decide what someone's values and supportive actions are based on whether or not you buy paper flowers or tacky wrist bands.

You have no idea what every person walking past you on the street has done or hasn't done to support a cause. But damn them if they have no change to purchase a poppy the split second you saw them.

Do people's actions the other 364 days of ten year pale onto significance because they don't "advertise" it on their clothing

KateReddy Fri 07-Nov-14 17:01:11

AIBU for thinking that more should wear a poppy with pride?

Yes, YABU, not everyone has to share your point of view.

specialsubject Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:08

the point is that we have the freedom to decide.

I wear one, but I'd not judge those who don't. Anyway, mine fell off halfway through yesterday so you would have judged me until I noticed and got another!

Shahrazad Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:52

It's a funny sort of freedom and democracy people fought and died for that then dictates exactly how people are supposed to behave.

I do not wear a poppy. I have my own reasons for that. But to suggest it's because I neither know, nor care, would be utterly offensive to me.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 07-Nov-14 17:02:58

I haven't bought one yet either. But I will at the weekend to wear on parade with Brownies on Sunday. Remembrance is not a season. Its a day. Sunday.

Shahrazad Fri 07-Nov-14 17:03:21

Cross posted with specialsubject!

PoppyWearer Fri 07-Nov-14 17:04:49

^^See my NN, I wear my Poppy proudly on here all day at this time of year!

However, IRL I have also been falling foul of the multiple-coats problem as previous posters have said. Work coat, rain coat, cold-weather coat have all been in action this week.

And DH keeps losing his pins and nicking mine angry.

Of course the poppy-wearing period has been extended, makes sense, people lose them, forget them and buy more = more money for the charity. Can't blame them for that one.

Another thing is that it's not just about the paper poppies any more. There are brooches, charms, earrings, wristbands...many of which are obscured if wearing a coat/scarf. But they seem to generate more money per item than the paper poppies, so the end goal of raising money is still being attained.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Nov-14 17:08:20

I agree with others too, who say their poppies might have been on their tops underneath their coats.

Or they might have been wearing wristbands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now