Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that if you are a carpet cleaner you might expect to see dirty carpets?

(13 Posts)
Sothisishowitfeels Fri 07-Nov-14 16:12:55

We have a light carpet upstairs and its is just grubby now there are 7 people in the house including 5 children and so it has obviously been heavily used. It is not covered in anything awful but needs a clean.

I called a carpet cleaner to come and clean it and he looked horrified that it was dirty which was quite off putting - AIBU to think that if you clean carpets for a living being shocked at a grubby carpet is very strange?!

BauerTime Fri 07-Nov-14 16:14:44

How ridiculous. Just lost himself a job I imagine! Find someone else coz if he was horrified at the state of the carpet then id bet that he wont do a very good job of getting it clean.

Sothisishowitfeels Fri 07-Nov-14 16:16:11

yes he did! I wouldnt mind but its really not all that terribly dirty and stained its just grubby on the high use areas etc!

ThatDamnedBitch Fri 07-Nov-14 16:16:28

He'd baulk at my carpets upstairs then. Biggest mistake I ever made getting bloody cream carpets with kids in the house!

YANBU. If peoples' carpets were clean he'd be out of a fricking job wouldn't he! hmm

ShatnersBassoon Fri 07-Nov-14 16:16:32

I've found it's not unusual for tradespeople to exaggerate the difficulty of the task they're hoping to undertake. It makes them look better when they do a good job of it.

It sounds as if the cleaner went too far and insulted you though, so I would tell him to do one.

NaiceNickname Fri 07-Nov-14 16:17:04

How strange hmm obviously the job is too much for him, find someone else.

I wish I did, I've spent the morning on hands and knees scrubbing each one of my stairs... Cream carpet... Good idea at the time confused

floatyflo Fri 07-Nov-14 16:17:51

Unless your carpet is truly vile (I am thinking covered in cat faeces, or YEARS worth of mouldy trodden in food and it's laid in a babies bedroom or something), then he was being a judgy sod and I would find another company!

floatyflo Fri 07-Nov-14 16:18:59

Ooh good point about exaggerating the task to make him look better!

Sothisishowitfeels Fri 07-Nov-14 16:19:37

float its only a year old so it hasnt had time to get quite that far yet!

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 07-Nov-14 16:20:35

My friend's cleaner wouldn't clean for her anymore since the house wasn't kept as clean as she left it each week.
Some people are weird.

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 07-Nov-14 16:25:21

I'm not looking forward to having new carpet next year. the current Wilton so a good one has been down for 40 years and I dread what the carpet fitters will think when they remove it and see whatever is underneath -crumbling underlay that will have to be cleaned up, I suppose. It'll be stuck to the floor and to the underside of the carpet even though it was laid separately. Will he scrape the floor or expect me to do it?

A cream carpet with children? grin

Charitybelle Fri 07-Nov-14 20:00:26

The very nice man who laid my wood floor (hallway and kitchen/diner) accidentally insulted me by asking if he should bother putting the door bars on to the floor where it joined the living room. I said yes of course, why ever not, and he looked shocked and said 'but surely you're going to be getting a new living room carpet soon'? I have a cream living room carpet, at this point it was less than a year old, but a bit grubby blush
Despite me looking embarrassed, he decided to plough on and spend ages telling me how cheap carpets are these days and that it wouldn't cost much to replace the 'old' living room one! I was mortified, but he did such a good job with the wood floor I didn't say anything to him confused

WerewolfBarMitzvah Fri 07-Nov-14 20:05:45

When we bought our first flat, the carpet were minging. You could actually make out grubby footprints where they had stepped out of the bed.
We couldn't afford to replace them so got them cleaned. I swear, the guy practically rubbed his hands together in glee at the carpet - he was delighted they were a mess as apparently it was way more satisfying!
They came up a treat btw. He said the only stain he couldn't get out was Irn Bru. I think carpet cleaning was his calling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now